Win Yet another newb terrified he's doing it wrong
(2014-02-19, 04:40)comieodor Wrote: Image
just need to get that PS3 cable hidden.... or unplug it, it's probably not going to see much more use.)

Until we get a new TV unit and TV it's going to have to cuddle up to the amp
You have a good set of floor standing speakers. It'll look very nice with with bigger TV on the wall, and you'll have plenty of room on the table for all your components.....

Here is a photo of my LED on the wall-

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Nice Unit! We're looking at a 60" or 65" Sony (They seem to be the best priced / size at the moment and we can cut down the cost by not paying for Smart TV features, since I now have them all anyway,) as well as a decent Entertainment unit that will fit the centre speaker, amp and PC side my side. Unfortunately I don't think the wall will support a TV mount, I'll need to check if the studs are in a decent spot... In any case the cost blow-out has put that off for a month or two.

The keyboard is the k400r with media buttons. I haven't installed the software yet to make use of them, but the multi-touch Windows 8 gestures all work on the touchpad and it beats cables draped across the floor. The plan is once I get the FLIRC and it’s all up and running to just use the remote and x-box controller and stash the keyboard away except when it's needed.

I left it running last night to download my 350gb-odd Steam Library (my ISP are going to regret not metering that,) When I checked this morning the temp has gone down to 28c on the Motherboard and 35c on the CPU. That’s reading through the MSI Command Centre not the Bios. I’m concerned about the accuracy (it seems too low,) but I would assume it reads it from the same place.

The other concern I’ve got is I’ve had to run the fan connections between the CPU heat sink and the GPU, to get them to the motherboard connections and it’s a tight fit in there. The cables from both the Noctua and the built in fans have some serious insulation on them; does anyone know if this will be an issue?

The other question is about the light. When the system is asleep the power light flashes, I went with MSI over the Asus because it was an issue on the Asus boards, does anyone know if there is a setting to disable this on MSI tech?
(2014-02-20, 02:05)comieodor Wrote: The other question is about the light. When the system is asleep the power light flashes, I went with MSI over the Asus because it was an issue on the Asus boards, does anyone know if there is a setting to disable this on MSI tech?

I've only seen it on Gigabyte and Intel motherboards. These do wonders however: http://www.amazon.com/LightDims%C2%AE-Li...B009WSJNCW
That's the same keyboard I have...

And are they JBL speakers?? I have the same main front speakers (MRV310). Mine are about 17 years old now... and ready for speaker heaven!! The rubber between the speaker box and cone has disintegrated so I now get extra sound that I would rather not have. So I won't be buying JBL again as I have been told this is common with JBL speakers.

Hoping to update the audio part of my system this year!!!

How are your speakers?
Yep JBL's. They're actually a mates old set. He upgraded and didn't have anywhere for them to go so their on an extended loan. They are only about 6 - 7 years old I think (judging by the inputs on the Sony amp, which I assume is the same age) and they sound sensational. I'm in an inner-city apartment so by the time I crank them to a point where they start to distort the police are already well and truly on their way Tongue

They replaced a 40 year old set I bought from my neighbours when I was 14 (I think you can see them in my shopping photo, they're now my man-cave speakers,) which although they produced a magnificent sound; slightly elevated noise caused them to distort something terrible. Which makes them perfect desk speakers (possibly slightly too large, but being flat top means I don't actually lose any desk space... that's how I justified it to the missus anyway.)

Most of my Steam Library has finished downloading, so I just fired up Skyrim to test it all out and was greeted with "Skyrim has scanned your system and selected.... Ultra High settings." ... nearly brought a tear to the eye Big Grin... I don't think I've ever fired up a game and seen that message)
(2014-02-20, 02:05)comieodor Wrote: Nice Unit! We're looking at a 60" or 65" Sony (They seem to be the best priced / size at the moment and we can cut down the cost by not paying for Smart TV features, since I now have them all anyway,) as well as a decent Entertainment unit that will fit the centre speaker, amp and PC side my side. Unfortunately I don't think the wall will support a TV mount, I'll need to check if the studs are in a decent spot... In any case the cost blow-out has put that off for a month or two.
There should be vertical studs inside the wall, and it is a lot stronger than you think. I mounted all my LEDTV's on the wall, and I have not had any issue with it. If you can find two studs and mounts two screws on each stud, it will be very strong. I tried to hang on it, and it felt very sturdy. I use this "VideoSecu TV Wall Mount 32"- 65"" wall mount. It is very flexible because it allow me to move the TV 1' forward and tilt it left/right/up/down. I use this "CH Hanson 03040 Magnetic Stud Finder" cheap stud finder to find the studs....

(2014-02-20, 02:05)comieodor Wrote: so I just fired up Skyrim to test it all out and was greeted with "Skyrim has scanned your system and selected.... Ultra High settings." ... nearly brought a tear to the eye Big Grin... I don't think I've ever fired up a game and seen that message)
I'm glad that you enjoying your discrete Radeon R9 270.....Big Grin
I need to scope out the studs, its a pretty thin wall between apartments. My old man has a stud finder so I'll get him round to show off the new setup and get his help on it.

A good today was made better when I checked the office mail. The next piece of the puzzle has arrived:

The wall that you plan to attach the TV to, is it the party wall between you and your neighbour?

If it is, there may not be studs in the wall... could be plaster attached to a brick/masonary wall. If it is, then you will have to check what type of material it is... if it is the lightweight hebel block, the tv may just pull out of the wall.

Then if you are renting... get the ok from the landlord (yes I know, you already thought of that)
Its definitely a studded wall; I stuck in a plaster hook to get the painting up. The only issue is its fairly cheaply put together and I don't know how much weight it will take. Fortunately we own, so it only becomes a problem if we inadvertently put a window into our neighbours living room.

Had a bit of a play with the FLIRC and the harmony remote this evening; I can only get the Harmony working through the web app, not the desktop one sadly and although it works really well with the TV and the amp; the delay between inputs makes it useless for XBMC. I'm going to do a bit of research and see if it's something that's easily rectified, but I suspect I'll need a better option (Bluetooth/IR PS3 remote might be worth a try.) I really want to find an easy way to control everything from 1 remote and have a magic one-button-start-all solution.
(2014-02-21, 13:45)comieodor Wrote: Its definitely a studded wall; I stuck in a plaster hook to get the painting up. The only issue is its fairly cheaply put together and I don't know how much weight it will take. Fortunately we own, so it only becomes a problem if we inadvertently put a window into our neighbours living room.
All the house I owns so far have vertical studs in all of them, and some studs are wall bearing studs.....

After you get use to hanging the TV on the wall, you will never go back to place it on the table anymore. I enjoy moving the TV on the wall in/out/left/right/up/down....
(2014-02-21, 13:45)comieodor Wrote: Its definitely a studded wall; I stuck in a plaster hook to get the painting up. The only issue is its fairly cheaply put together and I don't know how much weight it will take. Fortunately we own, so it only becomes a problem if we inadvertently put a window into our neighbours living room.

Had a bit of a play with the FLIRC and the harmony remote this evening; I can only get the Harmony working through the web app, not the desktop one sadly and although it works really well with the TV and the amp; the delay between inputs makes it useless for XBMC. I'm going to do a bit of research and see if it's something that's easily rectified, but I suspect I'll need a better option (Bluetooth/IR PS3 remote might be worth a try.) I really want to find an easy way to control everything from 1 remote and have a magic one-button-start-all solution.

You updated the firmware for your Flirc? Also check out eskro's great post on the Flirc forums - http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/5...ith-flirc/
Nooryani you legend!! That's the first time I've come across that thread and it looks like the perfect solution. I was about to jump on and vent about how frustrating its been getting the harmony working (having repeat input issues,) but that thread looks like just the ticket. I'll be able to test in the next few hours and see how I go.

So far I've had mixed results, the delay issue was actually the harmony software and a quick setting sorted it out. It was working a treat but trying to get it to sleep the PC and Wake it up has so far been hard to get right. It seems whenever I push the assigned a button to power, the GUI goes to the home menu and selects weather (so it's like it's going to its home state.) And no matter what I select I can't get the PC to wake with any inputs from anything except the Logitech keyboard or the physical power button. I've enable wake on usb in my bios (which I've noticed keeps my external drives awake,) but I don't have the option on the Device Manager for the FLIRC.

Besides those few quibbles however, everything is pretty trick. I have XBMC Launcher starting it up on boot (blindingly fast,) and after some focus issues got sorted out I now have the Steam Big Picture plugin working as well (love your work on that one Teeedubb!) I set my Windows Wallpaper to be a Loading Screen and hid the taskbar at the top so on those rare split-seconds when you do see it it looks like it's meant to be there. My TV tuner should be arriving in the next few days and no doubt that will bring a bunch of new challenges with it. One step at a time Smile

Hopefully final question; do I need a certain post-count on these forums to be able to pass out rep? There's a few people I really want to pass it out to.
(2014-02-23, 10:24)comieodor Wrote: Nooryani you legend!! That's the first time I've come across that thread and it looks like the perfect solution. I was about to jump on and vent about how frustrating its been getting the harmony working (having repeat input issues,) but that thread looks like just the ticket. I'll be able to test in the next few hours and see how I go.

So far I've had mixed results, the delay issue was actually the harmony software and a quick setting sorted it out. It was working a treat but trying to get it to sleep the PC and Wake it up has so far been hard to get right. It seems whenever I push the assigned a button to power, the GUI goes to the home menu and selects weather (so it's like it's going to its home state.) And no matter what I select I can't get the PC to wake with any inputs from anything except the Logitech keyboard or the physical power button. I've enable wake on usb in my bios (which I've noticed keeps my external drives awake,) but I don't have the option on the Device Manager for the FLIRC.

Besides those few quibbles however, everything is pretty trick. I have XBMC Launcher starting it up on boot (blindingly fast,) and after some focus issues got sorted out I now have the Steam Big Picture plugin working as well (love your work on that one Teeedubb!) I set my Windows Wallpaper to be a Loading Screen and hid the taskbar at the top so on those rare split-seconds when you do see it it looks like it's meant to be there. My TV tuner should be arriving in the next few days and no doubt that will bring a bunch of new challenges with it. One step at a time Smile

Hopefully final question; do I need a certain post-count on these forums to be able to pass out rep? There's a few people I really want to pass it out to.
Not sure, though responses like yours are more than adequate way of showing gratitude Smile Happy I could share some knowledge with you - for the button to power on XBMC you may either want to check out http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/5...ur-remote/

Have not tried this myself, but you're in luck as this is another one of eskro's brilliant guides Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Yet another newb terrified he's doing it wrong0