audio option for video start (movie or telly)
hello --

i have searched to see if this was asked before but haven't found anything.
so sorry if this is a dupe despite my efforts.

i am running xbmc on windows 7 pro, audio being pumped through my h-t receiver.

i have a curious problem: playback of _some_ of my video files (stored on my nas) has a nasty glitch sound at the beginning, similar what one can hear on the telly when networks switch streams before/after adverts. such "audio spikes" can't be good for my speakers.

is there a way to have either a 1, 2 second "mute" at the beginning of playback, or a similarly timed "fade-in" so that one doesn't have to hear that audio glitch at the beginning?

this is not consistent, it only happens on some of my files (high bit-rate .mkv's). the best hypothesis i can come up with is that the receiver's dac has momentary trouble syncing to the current audio stream. though that idea is contradicted by the fact that playback through other players (i.e., mpc-hc & vlc) does not exhibit such glitch. if the problem was, er, caused in hardware, both other players would also have that "audio spike".

anyway, hopefully there is enough time before xbmc 13.0 comes out, to implement such a feature.

thank you in advance.

p.s.: come to think of it, a fade-in would be a better option to have.

*edit: minor change in wording, added emphasis on "some".
there's an option to pause during refresh rate change that might help.
@furii:
thank you for the reply. googled that setting and it seems to be a video, not audio setting.
i do not think it will help.

did further testing, on another machine on which i had xbmc installed for testing, with some of the files i have audio issues on my htpc.
the audio is done via the on-board sound hardware (an fm2 motherboard, with an amd a8 6500), through a pair of computer speakers.

no glitches to be heard at start of playback.

i will have to check the settings on my htpc, to see if there is an audio setting (esp. in regards to optical out) that could explain this occasional "audio spike".

*** something i did not mention before: audio is sent to my h-t receiver not via hdmi, but via optical.

cheers.
There is a 'stream silence' option in xbmc (advancedsetting.xml for frodo, menu option for gotham) which could be causing the problem or the solution. Its whether or not xbmc releases the audio device after a period of silence and after how long. With it enabled there is a 1-2 second silence before audio starts, disabled xbmc holds onto the audio output so there is no delay in starting audio. (I may have mixed up enabled/disabled though, its from memory)
well the refresh rate matching is indeed mostly related to video but since it pauses playback for X seconds it could solve your problem.

and if you don't want to try that you should post the mediainfo for files causing you issues.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
audio option for video start (movie or telly)0