• 84(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-05-10, 16:05)xbs08 Wrote: Is it possible to install OE on SSD using UEFI?
Any advantage in doing so?
I believe OpenELEC has supported UEFI booting since 3.1.3. So I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to install OE on an SSD. Might have to be internal though - some USB equipment can be a bit troublesome when it comes to booting, depending on its USB-SATA controller.

I myself is a Win8 user, so I'm not quite sure how audio handling works under OE. But under Win, UEFI handles does some of the HDCP instructions, thus HD audio won't work without an UEFI install. I've heard other stories regarding linux - but I have no idea if these were UEFI enabled distros. As you probably could deduct from my explanation of the differences - changing these settings (UEFEI/Legacy) from what they were set as during OS install - after the OS is already installed - will not ease any issues, but be likely to introduce new ones.

Beyond this - I suggest you have a read through the manual and other material on the NUC - these should give you a good idea about its capabilites, and if any of these are of use to you. You could also just go into "BIOS", browse through the various settings and look at the "Support text" when hovering over a setting (I believe F1 works in the more recent BIOS versions). Just a suspicion - but suspend/wake issues might be eased with an UEFI OS install. Again, I've had no issues here myself as I've only done Win8(.1) on SSD with UEFI enabled.

This is just a blind guess - but these boot issues with OE recently might be either a botched implementation of UEFI, or a conflict with previous install method (UEFI/BIOS) if this issue arrised after an upgrade.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Intel says to install Linux in Legacy Mode here http://download.intel.com/support/mother...de_v02.pdf
Page14 they select the non UEFI USB Drive
| myHTPC |
This is because "most" Linux distros does not support UEFI boot. OpenELEC (among some others) - does.

You're mixing two different "cases" here.
Regarding UEFI on USB: Not sure if OS installs on USB drives support UEFI. Or, well, some support UEFI booting, but the multi-partition configuration that comes with a full, UEFI bootable OS install - might be more troublesome on an USB unit. As mentioned before, the EFI boot "system" requires its own separate, special partition.

Communication with a USB drive, especially if this is an external HDD/SSD - uses the "enclosure"s own drive controller. The systems UEFI capacities is based on the internal drive controller. But as the (U)EFI solution is based on loadind .EFI files - extended support for different external controllers may be added through an upgrade.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Last time I tried OE beta x I didn't saw the efi boot option. Gonna try again soon. Thanks.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
General question.

Which is the best backup method?
The XBMC or OpenElec? I've installed Openelec v4 (stable) and I'm in the process of setting it up how I want it. If whilst doing this I break my installation which backup method gives the best results?
Currently using the XBMC version but have never tried the Openelec one.

Many thanks

RLTW
I prefer the OE build in backup/restore.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-09, 21:02)skyboysea Wrote:
(2014-05-09, 20:18)grimfandango Wrote: Hi skyboysea I will have to check to see what beta version I tried before I tried OE 4.0 but it would have been one of the later beta versions. I will try B4 to see if it works. I started a topic on the OE board last week but there are only a few replys.

Try 3 too if you can. That was the last one that worked for me.

Hi pr0xZen and skyboysea, I use my samsung monitor to setup the nuc's that I have (as i can ssh from the desktop in the same room). I tried beta 2 (as I already had a install stick made up) and it works, I have rebooted a few times and it and it still works. Thank you for the both for the suggestion's and help. I will update the post on the openelec forums.
I do have a new problem now though this box does not share the library using mysql and advanced settings. I use the same userdata and addons folder on all xbmc installations, all the other devices work fine including the i3 nuc with openelec installed.

EDIT: After a few restarts mysql database is working.
(2014-05-10, 22:55)grimfandango Wrote: I do have a new problem now though this box does not share the library using mysql and advanced settings. I use the same userdata and addons folder on all xbmc installations, all the other devices work fine including the i3 nuc with openelec installed.

EDIT: After a few restarts mysql database is working.

Try to set the "wait for network before starting XBMC" option under System->OpenELEC->Network. I had the same issue and that solved it.
Thanks, I keep forgetting about that. I have been using xbmc for quite few years but I am new to openelec.
I really miss this in XBMC (win). There should be an optional query->timeout setting. I've got both a "proper" NAS and a "USB NAS" (USB network unit serving multiple USB drives). While the NAS is quick to respond, the "USB NAS" still has to do usb drive spinup (some are rather slow) - and at one instance a drive was "too slow" and all within was marked as "gone". (In my case meta and art was intact so a refresh solved this others might not be as lucky).

If XBMC had a "max. response time" for non-local sources - this could possibly avoid quite a few library rebuilds. My personal storage solution might not be the most typical one, but this remote spinup/wakeup latency "limit" is something they should extend to XBMC, not just OE (if tecnically feasable). Or atleast, throw in a "Source unreachable - remove/ignore?" pop-up. I do believe it exist for "local external" (USB etc) sources, but not remote locations. Some users do WOL on remote networks - the waiting game adds up. I guess this probably belong in the "Feature request" section - but just airing it.

Norwegian military motto: Ting Tar Tid (Things Take Time)
If you are in that situation I certainly wouldn't be using "update" or "clean" library on startup.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Indeed, this I learned the hard way. Now I usually query the drives through Windows, before doing any library update/cleaning - just to be safe. Its not exactly the most practical solution, but its "still in progress".
Heart 
Hi guys,

I've send my old ATV2 to retirement, as it could not play 1080p and is getting slower and slower.

My NUC is equiped with a 40GB Intel SSD und 8GB (I know, much RAM für OpenELEC).

The Performance compared to the ATV2 is so huge. I should have switched to the NUC earlier Big Grin
AFAIK updating the library doesn't remove item stored in a network share, only clean library will.

Thanks guys, just like win a 2, my atv2 has been retired!

Just waiting for my black xbox media remote to arrive now! And all will be golden!
  • 84(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5