• 55(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
Thanks for the help pr0xZen! internet speeds is slow here, around 1mbps tops so should be no problem as 2gb blueray files is all this puppy will see in terms of 1080.

Been playing around with xbmcbuntu on a spare old comp, very cool. Not sure what would be a better route for software, trying to stay away from w 8, I like it just no the price tag for a simple htpc. I do have a old copy of 7 lying around cannot decide, all I will be doing as I said is youtube the odd website and watching/downloading torrents.

Ordered mine today should be here Monday so pumped!
I also installed the 0028 firmware, with no noticeable difference. It doesn't seem to repair the boot problems...
For the linux users out there, is HDMI audio working for you?

There was a bug about hdmi audio not working with legacy boot but it is supposed to be fixed with latest BIOS updates. It is still not working for me though (I am using archlinux). Running "aplay -l" in a console reports no hdmi audio devices.

It is also refusing to boot with the latest 3.13 kernels.
Works on XBMCbuntu.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-03-21, 09:45)jimbo223 Wrote: Thanks for the help pr0xZen! internet speeds is slow here, around 1mbps tops so should be no problem as 2gb blueray files is all this puppy will see in terms of 1080.

Been playing around with xbmcbuntu on a spare old comp, very cool. Not sure what would be a better route for software, trying to stay away from w 8, I like it just no the price tag for a simple htpc. I do have a old copy of 7 lying around cannot decide, all I will be doing as I said is youtube the odd website and watching/downloading torrents.

Ordered mine today should be here Monday so pumped!
While I myself am perfectly happy win win8.1, there were never any question for me as I wanted SuperHD and 5.1 audio for Netflix (and the Win8 Metro app is the only one that delivers that on a PC platform). Beyond that, I'm quite sure most linux distros will be happy to accomodate your needs. The distro that seems to be the smoothest ride and best documented with this NUC so far, is OpenELEC.

Win7 has now gotten driver support, so it is there if you want it. Also, if you happen to be a student - you might be able to get Win OS'es (and tons more MS packages) 100% legit with permanent free licences for non-commercial use, through DreamSpark.

Wich ever way you choose to go - I'm sure you'll love it. Its a great little bugger Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I'm currently using a USB 3.0 flash drive with OpenELEC and the NUC boot is about 28 secs.
Would a something like the Kingston SSDNow improve OE boot time?

Another reason I'm pondering a SSD is that suspend isn't supported in USB installs.
Does it work flawlessly with SSD drives?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I wouldn't recommend upgrading to bios version 0028. With 0025 I would have around 10-12% CPU load @ idle in OpenElec 4.0 beta 2, with 0028 it's hovering around 80% on core one and 1% on core 2.
(2014-03-23, 22:12)xbs08 Wrote: I'm currently using a USB 3.0 flash drive with OpenELEC and the NUC boot is about 28 secs.
Would a something like the Kingston SSDNow improve OE boot time?

Another reason I'm pondering a SSD is that suspend isn't supported in USB installs.
Does it work flawlessly with SSD drives?

The interface of the USB stick doesn't necessarily matter to much - 2.0 or 3.0 - most usb sticks have memory too slow to be able to push the limits of usb 2.0. Memory speed and real-life transfer rates is what really matters in those terms.

I get a boot time from post to XBMC with win8.1pro (if using xbmc launcer into XBMC as shell), of about 10-12 seconds. If I boot with explorer as shell (if you want to load other windows stuff at boot time, this is needed) - Its more like 35 seconds.

This is with the 120gb Kingston SSDNow V300. In terms of SSD, its a pretty slow one - but its cheap and fast enough for me by far. Beyond boot, my NAS mechanical drives are really the limiting factor. No problems with resume and suspend - but then again... its windows, not linux. Apples, oranges.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-03-23, 23:36)ASimkins Wrote: I wouldn't recommend upgrading to bios version 0028. With 0025 I would have around 10-12% CPU load @ idle in OpenElec 4.0 beta 2, with 0028 it's hovering around 80% on core one and 1% on core 2.

I upgraded to 0028 and saw this issue one time. After reboot and all the time after that it works perfect (openelec 3.95.2).
(2014-03-24, 00:31)gorgen Wrote:
(2014-03-23, 23:36)ASimkins Wrote: I wouldn't recommend upgrading to bios version 0028. With 0025 I would have around 10-12% CPU load @ idle in OpenElec 4.0 beta 2, with 0028 it's hovering around 80% on core one and 1% on core 2.

I upgraded to 0028 and saw this issue one time. After reboot and all the time after that it works perfect (openelec 3.95.2).

Didn't work for me - I've tried rebooting a few times and rolling back to 0025, nothing is working. Ugh - should have left it alone.
Hi again guys got my box today : P, trying to install unbuntu 13.10 and it wont work, I tried the usb on my other computer and it works fine boots and all. Updated the bios to 28 or what ever its called also. But when I try and boot off the usb it seems to load alright shows the ubuntu loading screen with the dots moving then comes up with this busybox thing.... any idea's.

Edit: Now when loading I get a the background with the nice hue of colors the bar at the top with the wifi but nothing else loads.
Shame you bought such crap hardware. NUC seems to have very very many problems.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-24, 09:24)nickr Wrote: Shame you bought such crap hardware. NUC seems to have very very many problems.

Its pretty good hardware, running windows 7 fine, fast and clean now.

My god ubuntu is crap imo.

Install broke on me, fixed and got it working. Googled, heaps have the problem not just with nucs.

Wifi crapped out (extremely slow) on me, fixed and got it working. Googled, heaps have the problem not just with nucs.

The software install program or what ever its called crapped out on me and got stuck looking for updates... fixed that. Googled, heaps have the problem not just with nucs.

Finally downloaded xbmc and it would not launch lol didn't bother googling just uninstalled ubuntu.

Anyone looking to run ubuntu avoid at all costs unless you don't mind tinkering, it even has problems on my gaming rig (what I tested it on with 12.4 and had the same sort of problems not booting right, slow wifi and update issues)

Windows works great, it takes up more resources, no fight there,... but the extra mile you have to go just to get anything to work is outrageous its like blender vs 3ds max.

O and xbmc is great : P.
Well I'd have to say that following at least 3 threads on here it seems that there many problems with nucs and their support from Intel. Read them.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-24, 10:56)nickr Wrote: Well I'd have to say that following at least 3 threads on here it seems that there many problems with nucs and their support from Intel. Read them.

Just remember it's somewhat concentrated here, who buys a nuc for anything much more then a htpc? not many so these very forums would be full of nuc uses (the 55 pages here and 170 something pages for the has versions shows that) I am sure there is problems with it not debating that fact, every bit of hardware has its posts but spread over different forums more so gaming, hardware, media forums etc, and yes they has been some upsetting problems seen in the nucs but meh 3 year warranty and overall the failure rate seems low, most problems seem to be able to be fixed via patches.

anyway I am off to enjoy my nuc thanks for the help guys (older posts too)
  • 55(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5