• 79(current)
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH
(2014-05-06, 16:17)JasonHoffman Wrote: Interesting. Can you give me the model of the tv? I'll pass it on to the team to see if they have any explanation as to what's happening and why.

I have tested my 2820 on multiple Panasonic TVs and I can't get the UEFI to work on any of them. My DVI Gateway monitor only works every once every 5 power ons.
My 2820 has been a brick ever since I came back home from my hotel trip. I can't get the bios to work on any of my monitors consistently.

The only thing I can do is pray it loads into windows 8 with my original harddrive install.

Discontinuing the 2820 NUC makes me frustrated. I basically paid your company to beta test your board.
I am also curious why Intel would swap the low end NUC CPU to 2830 and not change the part-number.
Isn't that what GM did with their ignition switches!?!?
Cordo,

I've been deferring to the official support people on many of these questions because they're able to get more response and results than I am. They work directly with the engineers on these things. I believe sylvia_intel is working that particular question so her responses should have up to date information.

Not trying to deflect, just pointing you to a better source. Sometimes I get lucky and contact them right when they're working on the fix but very often the best answer I get is "we're working on it".

Jason
(2014-05-06, 18:59)SgtSlaughter Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 16:17)JasonHoffman Wrote: Interesting. Can you give me the model of the tv? I'll pass it on to the team to see if they have any explanation as to what's happening and why.

I have tested my 2820 on multiple Panasonic TVs and I can't get the UEFI to work on any of them. My DVI Gateway monitor only works every once every 5 power ons.
My 2820 has been a brick ever since I came back home from my hotel trip. I can't get the bios to work on any of my monitors consistently.

The only thing I can do is pray it loads into windows 8 with my original harddrive install.

The NUC is first and foremost a computer, you really should test it with a dedicated professional monitor (or any Samsung TV that is), that really can display all resolutions and frequencies. Pana TV-s are not realy for monitors, they are and act like TVs, and Gateway isn't a really big name in monitors, it means you haven't tested it really.
But in case it really can't show picture, then just accept it's a faulty unit, and send it for replacement.
(2014-05-06, 16:36)xbs08 Wrote: If BIOS isn't accessible try a different HDMI port on the TV, worked for me on a samsung HDTV.

I was hooked up to a projector. I could not get to the BIOS either, had to hook up a dell HDMI monitor.
So I finally get my NUC tomorrow, and I have one question I hope you guys could help with.

So, I realized today that i'll need a keyboard to update bios and what not. And the only keyboard I have is my wireless from apple. Can I use it? Or do I need a usb keyboard?
(2014-05-06, 19:36)pjtpjt Wrote:

The NUC is first and foremost a computer, you really should test it with a dedicated professional monitor (or any Samsung TV that is), that really can display all resolutions and frequencies. Pana TV-s are not realy for monitors, they are and act like TVs, and Gateway isn't a really big name in monitors, it means you haven't tested it really.
But in case it really can't show picture, then just accept it's a faulty unit, and send it for replacement.

Isn't the NUC a HTPC?!? This forum only tells people what they can't do.

(2014-05-06, 19:36)pjtpjt Wrote:

Isn't the NUC a HTPC?!? This forum only tells people what they can't do.
You'll probably need a USB keyboard.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-06, 23:01)SgtSlaughter Wrote: Isn't the NUC a HTPC?!? This forum only tells people what they can't do.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...mples.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Htpc

There's also a quite common mistake that people who decide to purchase a HTPC make:
Something being a HTPC doesn't mean it'll work out of the box, once you connect it to the TV set. No, that's how dedicated media players and traditional DVD and BluRay players work.

The NUC is a product for enthusiasts. It's a step above a hackable board, or even a RPi, but it still presumes you have the knack for fiddling with hardware, and BIOS-es, and installing operating systems on brand new, untested hardware.
Step one is setting up the hardware. Step two is installing software. And for these steps you must treat it as a computer. Nobody will handle you a solution on a silver plate if you're afraid "to get your hands dirty". Put it beside your desktop, finish installing all the software you'll need, and only then connect it to your TV set. Thus it becomes a HTPC.
(2014-05-07, 00:50)pjtpjt Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 23:01)SgtSlaughter Wrote: Isn't the NUC a HTPC?!? This forum only tells people what they can't do.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/n...mples.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Htpc

There's also a quite common mistake that people who decide to purchase a HTPC make:
Something being a HTPC doesn't mean it'll work out of the box, once you connect it to the TV set. No, that's how dedicated media players and traditional DVD and BluRay players work.

The NUC is a product for enthusiasts. It's a step above a hackable board, or even a RPi, but it still presumes you have the knack for fiddling with hardware, and BIOS-es, and installing operating systems on brand new, untested hardware.
Step one is setting up the hardware. Step two is installing software. And for these steps you must treat it as a computer. Nobody will handle you a solution on a silver plate if you're afraid "to get your hands dirty". Put it beside your desktop, finish installing all the software you'll need, and only then connect it to your TV set. Thus it becomes a HTPC.

The 2820 NUC is a step below a RaspberryPI/Ouya in my opinion. maybe the NUC i3s are more robust my coworkers like using them for ESXi. I am thinking about RMAing mine and praying I will get a 2830 back. I suspect the NUCs are flawed from manufacturing. I gotta say I am impressed with intel for releasing windows 7 drivers finally. maybe the 2830 will fix the outstanding issues. I have my fingers crossed that BIOS 32 will fix my problems.
Don't like it?
Give it to xbmc team and buy a ouya/RPi.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
(2014-05-06, 21:05)Reinke Wrote: So I finally get my NUC tomorrow, and I have one question I hope you guys could help with.

So, I realized today that i'll need a keyboard to update bios and what not. And the only keyboard I have is my wireless from apple. Can I use it? Or do I need a usb keyboard?
I used a wireless logitecth keyboard when I set up my 2820 last week, worked fine.
(2014-05-07, 02:53)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I suspect the NUCs are flawed from manufacturing.

Well, I'm sure there's no basis for your use of plural here. It's constantly sold out, and I've seen only a handful of people having any kind of problems with it, and almost all of them were fixed by BIOS updates. You got yours before I got mine, and you're still hung up on the BIOS settings problem.
I said: Connect it to a real professional monitor, that really can display all resolutions and frequencies, and it if still hasn't got any picture, reset the BIOS with the jumper, and if it still hasn't any picture, then return it, because your NUC is faulty.
See, I gave you three things you can do.
(2014-05-06, 18:59)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I have tested my 2820 on multiple Panasonic TVs and I can't get the UEFI to work on any of them. My DVI Gateway monitor only works every once every 5 power ons.

Discontinuing the 2820 NUC makes me frustrated. I basically paid your company to beta test your board.
I am also curious why Intel would swap the low end NUC CPU to 2830 and not change the part-number.

Go away. We're tired of your irrational rants and NUC bashing.
(2014-05-07, 09:40)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-05-06, 18:59)SgtSlaughter Wrote: I have tested my 2820 on multiple Panasonic TVs and I can't get the UEFI to work on any of them. My DVI Gateway monitor only works every once every 5 power ons.

Go away. We're tired of your irrational rants and NUC bashing.

Very true. Smile
+1

(Two 2820s here, working perfectly with OE - easiest and smoothest xbmc install in my 5 years of xbmc on lots of different hardware. Great little boxes!)
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
  • 79(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Bay Trail (Celeron Generation CPU) - DN2820FYKH5