[Feature Request] TV Show Sort By
Edit-Could someone on the Development Team please tell me if this would be a MAJOR CODING change or be a fairly simple change? I'm just wanting to know, I'm finding it hard to try playlists, tags, and whatever to get the display the way that I want. I've got 22 different TVShows on my system and I was just wanting to cut it down into groups by Genre or by Collections. PLEASE HELP AND LET ME KNOW IF IT'S POSSIBLE?

Is there a possibility of adding 'sort by Genre' to the options? I think that this would be an easier thing to implement than setting TV Shows up as a Collection (set) as it is done in the Movies side of things. Then you would just have to use Media Companion, Notepad++, or wordpad to edit the genre to what ever you wanted. Then just put the poster that you want to correspond to the selected genre. Then your shows come up in groups by genre and then you would just click on the one you want and those shows would show up as they would naturally.

Is this something that could be added and possibly implemented into another release of Frodo?, or would we have to wait until Gotham?

The part of the files would have to be edited with Media Companion, which I use, and it would then update XBMC's database. You can cut down on the number of genre entries down to just one and you can name it watever you like and XBMC see's this as a valid genre. Say that you want Drama, Children's, Holiday, SciFy, Star Trek, Stargate, Westerns, War, as your genre's. Then you would just edit the genre's in media companion on all of your TV Shows and have XBMC update the library and you would then have them in groups and it still look as if you are just doing it by Title or something like that.
Ok, I get it, nobody really understands what I'm talking about, right? Well if you open the TV show and the main screen you have the option to view as Title, date, episode, right? Why cant we get the same as view Title but as Genre instead. I'm just wondering how hard it would be to add this feature.

From some that I've had some kinda contact with, would love to be able to set up collections in the TV Show area just like they can in the Movie area. I just thought that this might be something that wouldn't take as much programming as say adding collections option to the TV Show area. I would like some feedback on wheather this is possible or not. I was going to post a picture to show what I'm talking about, but I can't figure hou to do it yet.

Thanks in advance
Well one problem is that there can be multiple genres so let's say you have a tvshow with the genres "action" and "thriller". Should it be sorted under "Action" or "Thriller"? You can't really sort by something that has no real order.

Concerning collections of tvshows, that's not possible right now.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Well the thing on genre's is that you use Media Companion and pick which genre that you want it to be in, say it already has action / thriller, but it would probably fall under a more wide based genre of Drama, ( if it is some of the shows that you watch a lot), you would just change the genre to Drama. I would classify a lot of my shows into smaller groups to where I wouldn't have to go through 25 to get to the one that I want to watch. The thing is that if it could be done by using sort by genre instead of using collections ( using the set tag in xml ), wouldn't it be easier to implement that into the program? I'm just wanting to set it up to where the grand-kids could just have a single link that would have all of their shows under that just like collections in movies. This is the main reason that I wanted to know if this is possible, oh wait, the wife was peering over my shoulder and said that she wants to put her TV Shows under the same type.

Is this something that would be easy to add on to the program or would it entail a lot of coding compared to coding for collection sets?

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to think that no-one even cared to leave a reply due to me being crazy for asking for this.
You can't assume that everyone uses Media Companion or another media manager. I for one don't. I just let XBMC scrape all the information for movies, tvshows, seasons and episodes and only adjust some artwork but I leave the rest untouched. That means that most of my tvshows have multiple genres and then sort by genre doesn't work anymore.

Have you tried using tags? You could create the necessary tags in XBMC (under Video library -> TV shows -> Tags) and assign the tvshows however you want to and then use those tags.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Or just use Profiles for your gandchildrens and your wife.

you could also use smartplaylists. You can sort there by different Genres.
(depending on the Skin you're using you could probably add thows Smartplaylists to the Submenu of your TV-Show Mainmenuitem.)
As I stated in my first post you could use Notepad++ or you could use windows wordpad to edit the genre's. The first thing that you would do is to export the library to individual nfo's, this puts them directly under the TVShow folder, ie. D:\TVShows\Stargate SG1\TVShow.nfo. Then you would just open the nfo's and scroll down to genre and edit them to whatever you wanted them to be.

The reason for requesting the sort by genre is that I thought that it would not take a lot of coding to accomplish this instead of changing the part of the code to include TVShow Sets as you have Movie Sets. The other reason was to have it to where you would have less system profiles that you would have to put onto all of the different copies of xbmc that you had running throughout the house, and maybe make a mistake and screw everything up and have to start over again. This would allow you to setup the main database and then it would be able to be seen by all of the systems using xbmc at the same time.
(2014-03-01, 21:27)kgcaughron Wrote: As I stated in my first post you could use Notepad++ or you could use windows wordpad to edit the genre's. The first thing that you would do is to export the library to individual nfo's, this puts them directly under the TVShow folder, ie. D:\TVShows\Stargate SG1\TVShow.nfo. Then you would just open the nfo's and scroll down to genre and edit them to whatever you wanted them to be.
You could also use Ember or one of the other Tools to do this.
There' also Addons/Scripts available to do this. ("Genre Editor" Addon v.ex. (never try this))
Or you could use a Skin which has support for the Library Editor Script.

(2014-03-01, 21:27)kgcaughron Wrote: The reason for requesting the sort by genre is that I thought that it would not take a lot of coding to accomplish this instead of changing the part of the code to include TVShow Sets as you have Movie Sets.
Browsing by Genre is already possible.
If you like to have Playlists with TV-Shows from diffrent genres, all i can do is agin suggest using Smartplaylists.

(2014-03-01, 21:27)kgcaughron Wrote: The other reason was to have it to where you would have less system profiles that you would have to put onto all of the different copies of xbmc that you had running throughout the house, and maybe make a mistake and screw everything up and have to start over again. This would allow you to setup the main database and then it would be able to be seen by all of the systems using xbmc at the same time.
you're abel to use a centralised (msql)-Database on a Server or a NAS (or where ever you like) im shure there How-To's around.
you're also able to Backup your Settings (just by Copying the Files or via Addon.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Feature Request] TV Show Sort By0