Crontab MySQL lib update -- Possible?
Hello

My current setup is:
Two XBMC 12.3 htpc (Windows)
One MySQL to have just one DB (Ubuntu)
One server for movies/tvshows (Ubuntu)

The problem i got now is that updating the clients are very slow (made all the tweaks to speed it up)
The clients enters "sleep mode" after a few hours idle therefore i cant use auto update lib.

So my question is can i crontab a update on the database without a xbmc-client or install a client on the sql-server thats on 24/7
What i want to accomplish is a fully updated database when i start the clients and dont have to wait like 5-10mins for the scan to complete.
No, you need an XBMC client to update the database. There is a "server" version of XBMC under development but it's still a little way from release.

I would suggest a headless Raspberry Pi running OpenELEC to serve as your 24x7 library update "manager" - power it with USB cables from the server PC, and with local files (NFO, artwork) a library scan for new movies takes only a minute or so (a bit longer depending on how many new movies need to be added etc., maybe a minute or two per new movie).

Once a scan is complete, use the Pi to update the XBMC texture cache on each of your PC clients (wake/suspend as necessary). Cron all of this on the Pi.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Well might have stretch the "very slow" a bit .. usually it take around 5-15 min.
But that feels like an eternity when i get home from work and just want to chill in the sofa and watch some TV Smile

If I recall it was faster when I didnt have a centralized DB for the clients but not worth the extra work to mark movies as watched etc. to go back to the localdb's
Yes sorry, comprehension failure on my part - I've updated my original post.

Local nfo/artwork should be very quick to scan on Windows-level hardware. Internet-only metadata will be slower, particularly if also scraping cast members.

You could just wake one of your idle clients (using WOL) from a cron script to initiate the scan rather than use a dedicated Pi, then suspend the client once the scan is finished. All possible with the script in my sig... Its just that Pis are so much more fun. Smile
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crontab MySQL lib update -- Possible?0