Directory and file naming conventions for audiobooks
I am in the process of building my own media server. I have found the naming conventions for music videos, movies, and tv shows very insightful. I am now planning to migrate my audiobook collection to the media server as well.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to catalog audiobooks and am wondering if there is a naming convention available.

My audiobook collection includes books that are standalone and others that are part of a series. Some audiobooks have chapters that may be contained within a single file or span several files (that can split a chapter over more than one disc). I first considered the following approach:

Code:
Audiobooks
   |----Audiobook (stand-alone)
   |       |----Disc #
   |               |--Files
   |----Audiobook series
   |       |----Book #
   |       |       |----Disc #
   |       |               |--Files

I also am not sure how these levels should be named. If more than one book shares the same title, should every book have its title followed by the year it was originally published to reduce ambiguity?
Example:
  • Winter's Tale (1623) by William Shakespeare
  • Winter's Tale (1983) by Mark Helprin
For books that a part of a series, should the title of an audiobook be preceded by the book number in the series? Consider Jim Butcher's Dresden's Files:
  • Book 01: Storm Front
  • Book 03: Grave Peril
Since I don't have any Apple products, I have not considered software solutions that are available for them. Are there any audiobook scrubbers anyone recommends? I want to make sure I find a generally accepted convention before I load hundreds of compact discs onto my media server.

Thanks in advance for any insight that may help me out.
-Adriak

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Directory and file naming conventions for audiobooks0