• 8(current)
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]
Is there any restriction to the number of menu layers we can have?

So instead of:

Media Management
  • General
  • Music Library
  • Music Files
  • Picture Files
  • Picture Slideshow
  • Video Library
  • Video Lists

we could have:

Media Management
  • General
    -- General
  • Music
    -- Library
    -- Files
  • Picture
    -- Files
    -- Slideshow
  • Video
    -- Library
    -- Files

So selection process for Video Library settings for example would be: Settings -> Media Management -> Video -> Library

Then in the future you can add source management

Media Management
  • General
    -- General
  • Media Providers (Sources)
    -- Add Source
    -- Content
  • Music
    -- Library
    -- Files
  • Picture
    -- Files
    -- Slideshow
  • Video
    -- Library
    -- Files
I got what you mean, but this would be basically the old way a little bit shifted...
Having a new entry where you can cklick on and it opens a new window is a bit too much IMO.

Why click on it if you can have the options directly on the right hand side

Let's see what the others think
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
too many layers won't make it more obvious. The structure that mad-max proposed looks fine to me for media management or (content or whatever)
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Just an idea as I wasn't sure about the Music/Video/Picture preface for the reoccurring category types for each of the media types e.g. Music Files/Picture Files/Video Files, this was just a first impression of the screenshots in the PR, looking at it for longer now I think you're probably right and it's fine as you've done it.
Just saw FernetMenta's github comment.

Perhaps this order for Playback:
  • Videos
  • Video Acceleration
  • Subtitles
  • TV
  • DVD/Bluray
  • Music
  • Audio CDs
  • Karaoke

so you have all video categories followed by all music categories.
Video Acceleration should be moved to System (along side Video-Output) IMO.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Some of these labels are too long when they get translated ouch scrolling ugliness e.g. Media Management / Video acceleration (what other type of acceleration is there?) even English is too long, surely some better wording can be found, one word even? and the order in which they appear feels somewhat odd and unbalanced.

Im all for improving stuff and reorganising things in some logical and making sure things go where they should, but this seems a little cumbersome in these early days. Im sure it will improve as it matures.

Ide maybe have better suggestions when I have time to look at it properly, if anyone cares.
(2015-03-09, 18:10)uNiversal Wrote: Some of these labels are too long when they get translated ouch scrolling ugliness e.g. Media Management / Video acceleration (what other type of acceleration is there?) even English is too long, surely some better wording can be found, one word even? and the order in which they appear feels somewhat odd and unbalanced.

Media Info perhaps
yes, I reread some back posts and agree with that Media info, more than Media Management.

Some things like Video acceleration belong as a subset of playback as is now maybe so we dont need to add video acceleration distinction because it already is implied. I think need to make sure things are where they belong and not creating new categories just because we can.
But acceleration is also part of playback...
I have no hard opionion on this and will change according to the majority
(2015-03-09, 20:30)mad-max Wrote: But acceleration is also part of playback...

personally i would consider acceleration as system. DTS/Dolby/DTS-HD/TrueHD and whatever are the hardware accelerations for audio and they are in system
Well, good point, sir Wink
(2015-03-09, 20:58)Martijn Wrote:
(2015-03-09, 20:30)mad-max Wrote: But acceleration is also part of playback...

personally i would consider acceleration as system. DTS/Dolby/DTS-HD/TrueHD and whatever are the hardware accelerations for audio and they are in system

Thanks for supporting me Smile
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I always thought acceleration was a video only deal for vdpau, vaapi etc, where does audio get accelerated or what is accelerated here mean where audio is concerned?
And no matter where acceleration is playback or system, does it need a distinction of being labelled video acceleration, isnt it obvious?
(2015-03-09, 21:55)uNiversal Wrote: I always thought acceleration was a video only deal for vdpau, vaapi etc, where does audio get accelerated or what is accelerated here mean where audio is concerned?
And no matter where acceleration is, does it need a distinction of being labelled video acceleration, isnt it obvious?

It uses the actual hardware capabilities. example: DTS enabling means your end device is able to process it. Not enabling means DTS tracks get software decoded to something that can be output.

Accelerated means not using the CPU if the hardware chips can do it
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015]0