Linux Fresh Ubuntu 13.10 with xbmc - how to suspend?
Just wondering, my last install I used this wiki (modified slightly (if I remember correctly) however this worked.
Since this wiki is quite old and I have seen changes in github concerning powermanagement/suspend/hibernate I was wondering if this is still the way to go

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Ubuntu_Suspend_/_Wake

It is for Ubuntu 13.10 with XBMC nightly (from PPA)
Thanks.
try with
sudo apt-get install consolekit pm-utils

Those are needed atleast for suspend.
Only installing those 2 makes no difference.
Suspend and Hibernate won't work.

So do I still have to create such suspend file?
(Question is not how to do that, only if that is at this moment in time still the way forward, since the wiki is outdated)
You need to have permissions, check your's from the shell.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks Fritsch, which permissions do you mean.

Do I need specific group permissions, if yes which one?
(I am not able to check atm, I will do when I get home)

Edit:
According this article I should have the power group permission:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pm-utils
Just checked the permissions:

Code:
htpc01@htpc01:~$ groups
htpc01 adm dialout cdrom sudo audio dip video plugdev fuse lpadmin sambashare bumblebee

So tested the command directly:

Code:
htpc01@htpc01:/etc$ pm-suspend
This utility may only be run by the root user.

So changed the following in the sudoers file:
(based on: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/pm-utils )
Code:
username  ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pm-hibernate
username  ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/pm-suspend

Let me know if this is the correct way.
No it's not. Check some of the other howto's (see the pinned topics) and see the polkit permission stuff.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Fritsch, that is what I initiually asked, if this is the way to go:

Code:
[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*;org.freedesktop.udisks.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=no
ResultActive=yes

May be I am looking/searching for the wrong stuff with the wrong keywords.
If I may be so free to ask, can you pinpoint to the correct info...

Scrolling through this install script it is for 13.04 still with the setup as above.
Should be working again...
if your user name is xbmc and you have upower and udisks and also consolekit installed, then everything should be fine with the snippet you just posted.
(2014-03-17, 21:14)fritsch Wrote: if your user name is xbmc and you have upower and udisks and also consolekit installed, then everything should be fine with the snippet you just posted.

Changed the name indeed.
In short, the above method works, however sometimes the system does not wakeup correctly -> resulting in a black screen.
I need to investigate this, but it is not stable (yet)

Sometimes it suspends correctly and wakes up correctly, sometimes the wakeup ends up in a black screen.
Just as information: The whole thread is not an xbmc problem, but a general linux installation / maintaining issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fresh Ubuntu 13.10 with xbmc - how to suspend?0