Client Build Reccomendations
Hello,

I used to have a custom-built HTPC as a standalone media player. I have since moved to a client/server configuration with another PC setup as the media server and the HTPC as the client. The HTPC is overkill and frankly, too bulky for my liking among. I wanted to replace it with a smaller more efficient PC that also has IR capability. It will also need to be able to run Windows and capable for surround sound. It does not need much power or disk space otherwise. I've seen a few mini-PCs, but not sure what to go with. Any recommendations?
If you're looking for cheap and easy, the old Acer Revo nettop PCs are pretty hard to beat. Small, low power, quiet, and built-in HDMI. Add one of the Rosewill media PC remotes (with IR dongle) and you should be good to go. They can be found pretty easily on Ebay now.

I have this setup: Two Revo nettop PCs and a NAS. They are both running windows 7 from small 32GB SSDs. I chose windows as the platform so I could easily remote desktop into them for service or updates. They run pretty much everything I throw at them and are DTS surround capable. Note they are not DTS HD capable. They will likely need to be replaced once 4k becomes standard, but they'll be good for a while yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Client Build Reccomendations0