• 199(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Thanks Matt,

The keyboard is a wired one. And is working with CTRl alt f2.

Just like the hdd (win 8.1) and keyboard both working fine on the HP.

But I will try Ubuntu on an usb stick to test if the boot menu will show up.
One more question:

The external hdd Windows boot is not device independent? Right?

So it doesn't matter now it's an Asus instead of the HP?
How good are these compared to a NUC celeron? I have two NUCs with i3 and Celeron (the old ones) runnning openelec and I've been super happy with them. I've been playing around with a bunch raspberry pi's (A, B and B+) but I've never been overly satisfied due to their slowness and such. I've been eyeing the HP CB1-020NO with a 2955U celeron cpu, I assume I will not notice lesser performance with this one vs the NUCs?
Greatly improved, because they have a real HSW chip. E.g. Lanczos3 Optimized upscaling from SD to HD is possible, furthermore it features state of the art Motion compensation deinterlacing for 1080i content.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Does this script (or anything else) work with the LG Chromebase? I'm tempted about buying one to install Linux, but cannot find information about how to remove Chromeos and install Linux on this device.
(2015-01-08, 19:59)fritsch Wrote: Sounds like tv channels that mix progressive and interlaced content. A Debug Log will show that.

I have looked through the log and there is no mention of rapid switching between progressive and interlaced. I have played the same clip on a raspberry pi, a windows computer with kodi, and my laptop with Ubuntu and kodi. The clip plays fine on all but the chromebox.

Here is a link to a video I shot of it playing on the chromebox.

https://plus.google.com/1088432073003996...cB5WUPcAAe
(2015-01-09, 11:06)wackid Wrote: Thanks Matt,

The keyboard is a wired one. And is working with CTRl alt f2.

Just like the hdd (win 8.1) and keyboard both working fine on the HP.

But I will try Ubuntu on an usb stick to test if the boot menu will show up.

check on the SeaBIOS boot screen, that the version string has my name in it and ends with the date (20150107 if you're up to date). You may want to re-run the script and update the Legacy BIOS (option 4) just to be sure.

(2015-01-09, 11:51)wackid Wrote: One more question:

The external hdd Windows boot is not device independent? Right?

So it doesn't matter now it's an Asus instead of the HP?

has nothing to do with your inability to bring up the boot menu.

(2015-01-09, 12:34)ironlung Wrote: How good are these compared to a NUC celeron? I have two NUCs with i3 and Celeron (the old ones) runnning openelec and I've been super happy with them. I've been playing around with a bunch raspberry pi's (A, B and B+) but I've never been overly satisfied due to their slowness and such. I've been eyeing the HP CB1-020NO with a 2955U celeron cpu, I assume I will not notice lesser performance with this one vs the NUCs?

2955U >>>>> N2920/N2930. For OE/Kodi, it's pretty much indistinguishable from the HSW i3 NUC.

(2015-01-09, 14:50)doragasu Wrote: Does this script (or anything else) work with the LG Chromebase? I'm tempted about buying one to install Linux, but cannot find information about how to remove Chromeos and install Linux on this device.

the dual boot stuff will work, the standalone firmware will brick it. If you want a standalone firmware, John Lewis has one for it (and many other ChromeOS devices) over on his 'coreboot for Chromebooks' google+ community.

(2015-01-09, 15:16)toadleyb Wrote: I have looked through the log and there is no mention of rapid switching between progressive and interlaced. I have played the same clip on a raspberry pi, a windows computer with kodi, and my laptop with Ubuntu and kodi. The clip plays fine on all but the chromebox.

Here is a link to a video I shot of it playing on the chromebox.

https://plus.google.com/1088432073003996...cB5WUPcAAe

the ChromeBox is making a commentary on your content selection, and trying to save you from yourself.

seriously though, why are you using 'Bob' deinterlacing? It should be set to either motion assisted or motion compensated
Hey Matt,

Is there any chance we will se a dualboot option with openelec+steam os?
(2015-01-09, 19:05)charliebrown Wrote: Hey Matt,

Is there any chance we will see a dualboot option with openelec+steam os?

absolutely zero, since SteamOS is a steaming pile of crap (no pun intended). Any dual boot setup which doesn't involve ChromeOS is done the same as on any other PC - just run the standalone setup first, then install your OSes. But that sort of dual boot config is way outside of the scope of this script. And you'd be better off just running standalone Ubuntu and installing Steam in big picture mode.
That's the whole problem Matt. The Seaboot screen doesn't appear with your name and version number.
It goes directly to the screen as shown on the picture in other post.

Tested with Ubuntu iso on usb stick but still no boot screen.

I reinstalled several times... But without luck.

What should I do? Go back to original state and go from there?
(2015-01-09, 19:37)wackid Wrote: That's the whole problem Matt. The Seaboot screen doesn't appear with your name and version number.
It goes directly to the screen as shown on the picture in other post.

Tested with Ubuntu iso on usb stick but still no boot screen.

I reinstalled several times... But without luck.

What should I do? Go back to original state and go from there?

the developer-mode boot screen, which you posted, is the first screen that will be displayed in a dual boot setup. From there, you either boot ChromeOS (via [CTRL-D]) or OpenELEC/Ubuntu (via [CTRL-L). Your boot flags indicate it will auto boot OE/Ubuntu after 30s if you don't use either of the shortcuts. Is that not what is happening?
Yes that's what's happening.

But no name from you,the Seaboot version and so on.

I can see those on the HP.

I am missing the boot options screen.
(2015-01-09, 20:00)wackid Wrote: Yes that's what's happening.

But no name from you,the Seaboot version and so on.

I can see those on the HP.

I am missing the boot options screen.

so you see the SeaBIOS boot screen, but the version string does not contain my name? Then just re-run the script and update the Legacy BIOS (option 4) as I said earlier. Not sure what you mean by missing the boot options screen. If you mean ESC doesn't work, then that's because my updated SeaBIOS isn't installed (for some reason).
(2015-01-07, 22:44)DarthVader Wrote: I just ordered an Asus Chromebox and it will be here tomorrow. I want to run Kodi on it to stream media from my Synology NAS. I may also want to run Netflix on it, but I also have an XBox 360 I can use for that if it is too much hassle. I want the chromebox to be as user friendly as possible so my wife and kids can use it. I think I will pick up a PS3 remote at future shop for 20$ so have that covered. I'm not decided on what boot option to use. I think the OpenELEC with Kodi sounds the best, but should I use a dual boot configuration to be able to use Netflix easily? Will my wife be able to use Netflix on it in the dual boot configuration without too much difficulty? I've read in this thread about using a single boot option with OpenELEC then putting Chromium on a USB stick. Is that option in the first post as well? (I looked for it, but couldn't find it). Looking for some advice from the community. Thanks in advance

I've had a dual boot (openElec/ChromeOS) and a standalone openElec. One problem with dual boot setup is that Suspend in Kodi does not seem to work -- you get a reboot. This drove me crazy. You should also be aware that Netflix in Chrome does not work all that well. AFAIK you can only get the web version -- not a dedicated app such as you would get on a ROKU or FiveTV.
(2015-01-09, 19:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-01-09, 19:05)charliebrown Wrote: Hey Matt,

Is there any chance we will see a dualboot option with openelec+steam os?

absolutely zero, since SteamOS is a steaming pile of crap (no pun intended). Any dual boot setup which doesn't involve ChromeOS is done the same as on any other PC - just run the standalone setup first, then install your OSes. But that sort of dual boot config is way outside of the scope of this script. And you'd be better off just running standalone Ubuntu and installing Steam in big picture mode.

Ahh well thanks for the quick reply! =)
  • 199(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37