• 274(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I finally joined the ranks of Chromebox/OE users thanks to this fantastic script. I should not have waited this long!

Thanks a lot Matt!
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
So somehow messed up my HP Chromebox, Openelec install. Had it up and running as a dual boot and decided to change it over to standalone install, that's where am stuck now with the Black Seabios screen. Had installed the custom coreboot firmware, and was rebooting with the Openelec created usb, but only get to the SeaBios screen. No buttons work, tried ESC, Cntl-D, Ctrl-L, etc.

The black screen says:

SeaBios

Booting from Hard Drive...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressin Linux...Parsing ELF...Performing relocation...done
Booting the kernel.
[ 0.131208] [drm:1915_write32] *ERROR* Unknown unclaimed register before writ
ing to a090
[ 1.374989] i8042: No controller found
[ 1.376139] gsmi: exec 0xclef: Unknown error 0xclef
[ 1.812159] usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61) defaulting to 0x0409

Right now am stuck here with no idea how to solve this. I would like to get openelec installed in standalone mode, or get it back to factory setting and start over again.

Any solutions?
I believe I have bricked my new Asus chrome box. I'm 44'yrs old and this process was completely new for me but I figured I could follow the directions on wiki and this site... I guess not. My tv wasnt alowing me to see the right edge or bottom of all the menus but by comparing the screenshots I was able to make it almost all the way through the process.

The goal was to have a stand alone Kodibuntu.
I did (7) and made a copy of Kodibuntu on a usb flash drive.
Then as I went to (5) to install the custom firmware.
I did make a copy of the Google OS on a 2nd flash drive.

I believe I selected the wrong drive too boot from and now the chrome box is unresponsive. ESC, and powering off / on do nothing. Basicly only the white LED comes on now.

What should a guy like me do at this point?

Thanks
(2015-04-11, 07:41)vicabbott Wrote: So somehow messed up my HP Chromebox, Openelec install. Had it up and running as a dual boot and decided to change it over to standalone install, that's where am stuck now with the Black Seabios screen. Had installed the custom coreboot firmware, and was rebooting with the Openelec created usb, but only get to the SeaBios screen. No buttons work, tried ESC, Cntl-D, Ctrl-L, etc.

CTRL-D/L (and the recovery button) are only valid/functional for the stock firmware; ESC is the only key you use with the custom coreboot firmware.

Quote:The black screen says:

SeaBios

Booting from Hard Drive...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressin Linux...Parsing ELF...Performing relocation...done
Booting the kernel.
[ 0.131208] [drm:1915_write32] *ERROR* Unknown unclaimed register before writ
ing to a090
[ 1.374989] i8042: No controller found
[ 1.376139] gsmi: exec 0xclef: Unknown error 0xclef
[ 1.812159] usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61) defaulting to 0x0409

Right now am stuck here with no idea how to solve this. I would like to get openelec installed in standalone mode, or get it back to factory setting and start over again.

Any solutions?

that tells me that you did a factory reset before doing the standalone setup (which you didn't need to do, but doesn't hurt either - it just explains why you're seeing that output). As noted in the wiki:

ChromeBox wiki page Wrote:Help! I'm stuck on the black SeaBIOS boot screen, with the "booting from hard disk" text displayed (and possibly a bunch of nonsensical text afterwards).

This happens because SeaBIOS is trying to boot from the internal hard drive, but no bootable OS (or only ChromeOS) is installed.

If you have a standalone setup:
* If you see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text but pressing it doesn't work, then the issue is your keyboard, so try using a different one.
* If you don't see the 'Press ESC for boot menu' text, then the issue is with your boot media, so try using a different USB flash drive.

(2015-04-11, 07:53)aLittletank Wrote: I believe I have bricked my new Asus chrome box. I'm 44'yrs old and this process was completely new for me but I figured I could follow the directions on wiki and this site... I guess not. My tv wasnt alowing me to see the right edge or bottom of all the menus but by comparing the screenshots I was able to make it almost all the way through the process.

The goal was to have a stand alone Kodibuntu.
I did (7) and made a copy of Kodibuntu on a usb flash drive.
Then as I went to (5) to install the custom firmware.
I did make a copy of the Google OS on a 2nd flash drive.

I believe I selected the wrong drive too boot from and now the chrome box is unresponsive. ESC, and powering off / on do nothing. Basicly only the white LED comes on now.

What should a guy like me do at this point?

Thanks

After flashing the firmware, you now have a plain old PC that need an OS installed. All you need to do is power on, select the USB with the Kodibuntu installer, then follow the prompts to install it. If your USB stick isn't detected, I'd try another, using the standard Kodibuntu ISO from the Kodi website (I'm working to get the custom Kodibuntu ISO updated to fix the issues reported earlier in this thread). Also, I'd try again with the ChromeBox connected to a PC monitor so you're sure that you're seeing everything you should.
OK, thanks for the reply Matt.

I do see the "Press ESC for boot menu" , it is above the "Booting from Hard Drive" line.

Have tried pressing as chromebox boots, but never get to boot menu. Just the black screen. Will have to try with another keyboard, the one I use now is a usb wireless model, so will try with one plugged directly into the machine.

Also, wondering, I may have overwritten the openelec install media on the usb drive with chromium os, trying to recover from this. Any place to find and redownload it to usb drive
ChromeBox wiki page Wrote:If the install media created by the script doesn't work (or you forget to create it before rebooting), then you can simply download the latest stable version (or beta/RC if you'd like) from OpenELEC's website here. The ChromeBox runs the 'x86-64' version of OpenELEC, and it's recommended that you download the disk image version, and create the install media, as per the instructions on the OpenELEC wiki.
(2015-04-11, 08:47)Matt Devo Wrote: After flashing the firmware, you now have a plain old PC that need an OS installed. All you need to do is power on, select the USB with the Kodibuntu installer, then follow the prompts to install it. If your USB stick isn't detected, I'd try another, using the standard Kodibuntu ISO from the Kodi website (I'm working to get the custom Kodibuntu ISO updated to fix the issues reported earlier in this thread). Also, I'd try again with the ChromeBox connected to a PC monitor so you're sure that you're seeing everything you should.

I have tried to use both thumb drives but when I power on nothing happens . As far as I can tell nothing is being sent from the chrome box to the monitor. If there is something I am missing please explain it to me like I am 5. Haha.

Thank you
(2015-04-11, 18:08)Matt Devo Wrote:
ChromeBox wiki page Wrote:If the install media created by the script doesn't work (or you forget to create it before rebooting), then you can simply download the latest stable version (or beta/RC if you'd like) from OpenELEC's website here. The ChromeBox runs the 'x86-64' version of OpenELEC, and it's recommended that you download the disk image version, and create the install media, as per the instructions on the OpenELEC wiki.

So tried this again. Made the new install usb key drive, Same results when booting with the usb drive in slot. Black screen unable to use ESC key to get to boot menu. Same display messages as earlier. Just now, does not say "Press ESC key for boot menu" , just goes straight to booting from hard drive.

So is this problem with usb drive? I will with another later and see if that the problem.

Wondering if this is because on earlier install I had set up booting options to quick boot into openelec, and did not reset booting options to default?
One other thing, the white LED now is blueish....
(2015-04-11, 19:12)vicabbott Wrote: So tried this again. Made the new install usb key drive, Same results when booting with the usb drive in slot. Black screen unable to use ESC key to get to boot menu. Same display messages as earlier. Just now, does not say "Press ESC key for boot menu" , just goes straight to booting from hard drive.

So is this problem with usb drive? I will with another later and see if that the problem.

Wondering if this is because on earlier install I had set up booting options to quick boot into openelec, and did not reset booting options to default?

no, as per the wiki, the issue is either your keyboard (since hitting ESC does nothing) or another connected USB device.

the dual boot setup 'boot options' have no effect once you flash the custom coreboot firmware; they are a function of the stock firmware only.
I've had kodi running on standalone openelec for a few months now. All of a sudden when I boot up the box, I am not getting a video signal. I've tired another hdmi cable just incase but it's not the cable. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot thisHuh
(2015-04-12, 04:57)BBock727 Wrote: I've had kodi running on standalone openelec for a few months now. All of a sudden when I boot up the box, I am not getting a video signal. I've tired another hdmi cable just incase but it's not the cable. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot thisHuh

I'd see if you can access the system via the web interface, SMB, or ssh.
If anyone is interested in helping me troubleshoot please pm me. I am able to access the web interface from another pc but I am unable to get video output still for whatever reason.
(2015-04-11, 23:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-04-11, 19:12)vicabbott Wrote: So tried this again. Made the new install usb key drive, Same results when booting with the usb drive in slot. Black screen unable to use ESC key to get to boot menu. Same display messages as earlier. Just now, does not say "Press ESC key for boot menu" , just goes straight to booting from hard drive.

no, as per the wiki, the issue is either your keyboard (since hitting ESC does nothing) or another connected USB device.

the dual boot setup 'boot options' have no effect once you flash the custom coreboot firmware; they are a function of the stock firmware only.

Big thanks to Matt Devo for helping me through this. Must have been a problem with the original usb drive I was using. Was successful in getting to the Boot Menu using the ESC key and get Openelec installed Big Grin

Used a new usb drive with the openelec image on it, and a different keyboard to solve problem on not getting past black screen. All good now, system boots directly into Openelec.
Is the keyboard issue only for wireless keyboards or wired as well?

I wrote the OpenElec image to my SD card. When I put it in the Chromebox and turn the power on, it automatically brings me to the OpenElec Boot screen without pressing ESC. It asks to 1) run installer or 2) run live. I can't select anything on this screen. I've tried 2 wireless keyboards and 1 wired now, without any luck.

I'm assuming it's the keyboard, but just wanted to confirm before I go buy another one to test.

Thanks.
  • 274(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37