• 319(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I'm not sure if FYI posts in this thread are frowned upon, but just giving the update that with my ASUS Chromebox which I got from Staples.ca (Canada), I've successfully got it dual booting with ChromeOS/OpenELEC following the instructions. Every single step went exactly as described and was easy. My Logitech K400 keyboard isn't detected at bootup so I had to use my bigger better (but still wireless) Logitech K800. My remote is the Bell FibreOp one (MXv4 IR) and I was able to set that up with Flirc on my Windows 7 so that almost all of the buttons worked and with "DVD" as the device selection on the remote. Volume down, back, and info all don't work, as well as a few other things that I'm not experienced enough with Kodi yet for, so I'm not sure what else isn't working but the remaining essentials all do.

I have just bought the Logitech Harmony Smart Control remote (915-000195) and a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB (STDR2000100) which I'm going to double-side 3M extreme mounting tape to the top of my Chromebox.

Tonight I'm going 1.) Make my Chromebox run OpenELEC as standalone, 2.) mount the Chromebox to my VESA mounts on the back of my TV, and 3.) get the remote / hard drive setup as well. If anyone see's this and wants reports on any of these devices' compatibility issues (if any) just let me know.

Many thanks again for the perfectly executed instructions OP (and related Wiki articles).
(2015-06-20, 01:18)jrochet Wrote: I'm not sure if FYI posts in this thread are frowned upon...

Many thanks again for the perfectly executed instructions OP (and related Wiki articles).

I'll let it pass ;-)
Hi! Recently I installed the standalone version of OpenElec on my HP Chromebox using the EZScript. This worked like a charm (thanks for that!).

Today I decided to change the standalone version to a dual-boot setup (ChromeOS + OpenElec). However, I can't seem to get started. The wiki says:

If you have standalone setup, it is necessary to restore the stock firmware before performing a factory reset to reload ChromeOS.
Download and run the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script using the following two commands (hit enter after typing each command):
curl -L -O https://goo.gl/1hFfO3
sudo bash 1hFfO3

But from where can I do this? Since I flashed the firmware and installed OpenElec standalone, I cannot access the command line from ChromeOS (since my box instantly boots to OpenElec). I tried running OpenElec, and using SSH to run the above script, but that also failed.

I also tried creating a USB Recovery media, but I can't seem to boot from that. I press ESC for boot menu, select the USB drive, and then the HDMI signal just gets lost...

Any suggestions would be really welcome! Thanks!
so i used the first EX script you listed, everything went well, I choose option 2, took me to the "enter the size in GB you want to ...blah blah blah" but when I enter the amount (8 in this example) it comes back with a line that says

./functions.sh: line 952: [: 8: integer expression espected
./functions.sh: line 961: 8*1024*1024*2: syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is 8*1024*1024*2")
-bash: 8: command line not found

any advise on what to do now?
(2015-06-20, 12:54)wimgoyv Wrote: Hi! Recently I installed the standalone version of OpenElec on my HP Chromebox using the EZScript. This worked like a charm (thanks for that!).

Today I decided to change the standalone version to a dual-boot setup (ChromeOS + OpenElec). However, I can't seem to get started. The wiki says:

If you have standalone setup, it is necessary to restore the stock firmware before performing a factory reset to reload ChromeOS.
Download and run the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script using the following two commands (hit enter after typing each command):
curl -L -O https://goo.gl/1hFfO3
sudo bash 1hFfO3

But from where can I do this? Since I flashed the firmware and installed OpenElec standalone, I cannot access the command line from ChromeOS (since my box instantly boots to OpenElec). I tried running OpenElec, and using SSH to run the above script, but that also failed.

I also tried creating a USB Recovery media, but I can't seem to boot from that. I press ESC for boot menu, select the USB drive, and then the HDMI signal just gets lost...

Any suggestions would be really welcome! Thanks!

same requirement as running the EZ setup Script - a Linux terminal with a full bash shell. Since OpenELEC doesn't have that, you'll need to boot a Linux Live USB (Ubuntu, Fedora, ChromiumOS, whatever) to run the script. Sorry I missed that when I updated the wiki yesterday, will fix now

(2015-06-20, 16:45)dublbagn Wrote: so i used the first EX script you listed, everything went well, I choose option 2, took me to the "enter the size in GB you want to ...blah blah blah" but when I enter the amount (8 in this example) it comes back with a line that says

./functions.sh: line 952: [: 8: integer expression espected
./functions.sh: line 961: 8*1024*1024*2: syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is 8*1024*1024*2")
-bash: 8: command line not found

any advise on what to do now?

did you use the numeric keypad without num lock on? I'll double check now to make sure I didn't break anything with yesterday's update, but that aspect of the script wasn't touched.

edit: just tested here with an 8GB partition, no issues.
I get this when i run this command as soon as it comes back online. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

"OpenELEC:~ # reboot
login as: root
[email protected]'s password:
##############################################
# OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone #
# ...... visit http://www.openelec.tv ...... #
##############################################

OpenELEC (official) Version: 5.95.1
OpenELEC:~ # curl -L -k -O https://goo.gl/SoCQtG
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 263 0 263 0 0 431 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 431
100 5433 100 5433 0 0 7231 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 7231
OpenELEC:~ # bash SoCQtG

ChromeBox Firmware Updater v1.3
© Matt DeVillier <[email protected]>

!! WARNING !!
This firmware is only valid for Haswell-based Asus/HP/Acer/Dell
ChromeBoxes with Celeron 2955U/2957U, Core i3-4010U/4030U, Core i7-4600U CPUs
which are already running my custom coreboot firmware.
Use on any other device will almost certainly brick it.

Do you wish to continue? [y/N] y

Checking if update available...

Error downloading firmware version information; cannot proceed."

Thanks! Have a great weekend
(2015-06-21, 01:06)Toxic1976 Wrote: I get this when i run this command as soon as it comes back online. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this?

yes, update to 5.95.2 which fixes the curl bug causing the problem, then re-run the script
How do i update? I am super new to all this stuff. Sorry
(2015-06-21, 02:29)Toxic1976 Wrote: How do i update? I am super new to all this stuff. Sorry
Pretty sure the OpenELEC website has that info Smile
PLEASE HELP WITH UNINSTALLATION OF KODI!

Hi, I bought a chromebox and somebody installed openelec/kodi on it. It looks like the standalone version, as I cannot get it to boot to ChromeOS in any fashion.

Here's what I've tried:

I tried making a LinuxLive USB image on a USB drive with http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide/preparation. When it finishes, the folder on the drive is named Virtualbox and in that folder is another folder named virtualbox-portable and 2 exe files named VirtualBox.exe and virtualize_this_key.exe. I can run the files in windows, but that doesn't help me with the chromebox. When I try to boot from this USB drive on my chromebox, nothing happens.

Additionally, I created an image file from http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox (https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos...mp.bin.zip)
, the asus chromebox image file. I burned it to a USB drive with WinImage file.

So I have 2 usb drives, and neither allows me to boot to a shell or somehow go to chromeos. The LinuxLive USB drive is not recognized at the boot screen before Kodi, and the stock image file usb drive also doesn't boot or give me a shell (although it is recognized but when I select the drive, it cannot boot and boots from the hard drive instead).

I have also tried a third usb drive using Google's chromebook recovery tool for asus chromebox. The USB drive is not immediately recognized as a bootable drive, and when i press escape or control+D to force it to recognize other drives, it doesn't recognize this third drive.

Help me please! I am going out of my mind with this and just want ChromeOs on this device
(2015-06-21, 19:31)memenow Wrote: PLEASE HELP WITH UNINSTALLATION OF KODI!

Hi, I bought a chromebox and somebody installed openelec/kodi on it. It looks like the standalone version, as I cannot get it to boot to ChromeOS in any fashion.

Here's what I've tried:

I tried making a LinuxLive USB image on a USB drive with http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/help/guide/preparation. When it finishes, the folder on the drive is named Virtualbox and in that folder is another folder named virtualbox-portable and 2 exe files named VirtualBox.exe and virtualize_this_key.exe. I can run the files in windows, but that doesn't help me with the chromebox. When I try to boot from this USB drive on my chromebox, nothing happens.

that USB stick doesn't sound like it will boot on any computer, period. Do what the wiki suggests and just download a Ubuntu ISO, write it to USB (using Win32DiskImager or UUI from Windows), and boot that.

Quote:Additionally, I created an image file from http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox (https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos...mp.bin.zip)

So I have 2 usb drives, and neither allows me to boot to a shell or somehow go to chromeos. The LinuxLive USB drive is not recognized at the boot screen before Kodi, and the stock image file usb drive also doesn't boot or give me a shell (although it is recognized but when I select the drive, it cannot boot and boots from the hard drive instead).

Help me please! I am going out of my mind with this and just want ChromeOs on this device

you can't boot the ChromeOS recovery media until you restore the stock firmware for the device. Just follow the instructions in the wiki and you'll be fine.
(2015-06-21, 19:52)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 19:31)memenow Wrote: PLEASE HELP WITH UNINSTALLATION OF KODI!

Here's what I've tried:

that USB stick doesn't sound like it will boot on any computer, period. Do what the wiki suggests and just download a Ubuntu ISO, write it to USB (using Win32DiskImager or UUI from Windows), and boot that.

Quote:Additionally, I created an image file from http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox (https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chromeos...mp.bin.zip)

you can't boot the ChromeOS recovery media until you restore the stock firmware for the device. Just follow the instructions in the wiki and you'll be fine.

Thanks, I am trying to restore stock firmware but I do not understand this step:

"OpenELEC users will need to boot a Linux Live USB (Ubuntu, Fedora, ChromiumOS, whatever) from which to run the script. Download and run the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script using the following two commands (hit enter after typing each command):"

what firmware utility script are they talking about and how do I load this at the boot screen?
(2015-06-21, 19:56)memenow Wrote: Thanks, I am trying to restore stock firmware but I do not understand this step:

"OpenELEC users will need to boot a Linux Live USB (Ubuntu, Fedora, ChromiumOS, whatever) from which to run the script. Download and run the ChromeOS device Firmware Utility script using the following two commands (hit enter after typing each command):"

what firmware utility script are they talking about and how do I load this at the boot screen?

Download Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop (version doesn't matter here)
use Win32DiskImager to write the ISO to your USB stick
boot the USB stick
Open a Terminal prompt
type the two commands listed in the wiki to download/run the Firmware Utility script
select the restore stock firmware option, follow the prompts
reboot, then insert the ChromeOS recovery media when prompted
(2015-06-21, 20:00)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-21, 19:56)memenow Wrote: Thanks, I am trying to restore stock firmware but I do not understand this step:

Download Ubuntu: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop (version doesn't matter here)
use Win32DiskImager to write the ISO to your USB stick
boot the USB stick
Open a Terminal prompt
type the two commands listed in the wiki to download/run the Firmware Utility script
select the restore stock firmware option, follow the prompts
reboot, then insert the ChromeOS recovery media when prompted
Thanks, another stupid question though: How do I open a terminal prompt once the USB stick is booted? Will there be an option? Do I need a key combination? Thanks so much
(2015-06-21, 20:02)memenow Wrote: Thanks, another stupid question though: How do I open a terminal prompt once the USB stick is booted? Will there be an option? Do I need a key combination? Thanks so much

In Ubuntu, you click the top left Icon (search I think), type 'terminal', then click to run it once the icon appears. I think [CTRL-ALT-T] should also open it
  • 319(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37