• 511(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2017-08-31, 03:41)zachg Wrote: There is also a way to run kodi inside of ChromeOS, rather than dual booting. Check out my HOW-TO here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=320808 ([CHROMEOS] HOW TO - Install Kodi on ChromeOS using Crouton)

This is not an attempt to disrespect the work done here, just to make others aware of a new way. Smile

not really a new way - it existed back in 2014 when I started working with the Chromebox. The problem with it is one fundamental to crouton -- that you're still using the ChromeOS kernel -- which means you're using older (buggy) video drivers, don't get support for HD (or even 5.1) audio, 24Hz refresh, etc etc. It's certainly a valid option if you just want to fire up Kodi and watch on a Chromebook w/o rebooting, but for a box connected to a TV/AVR, it's not the best option
Hello,

I'm a NOOB to this forum. I'm having trouble installing KODI on my Chromebox. How can I attach a photo here to show you guys what I am stuck with. Not sure how to explain it, so I think it would be best just to show you guys.

TIA
(2017-08-31, 19:05)buckyanguas Wrote: Hello,

I'm a NOOB to this forum. I'm having trouble installing KODI on my Chromebox. How can I attach a photo here to show you guys what I am stuck with. Not sure how to explain it, so I think it would be best just to show you guys.

TIA

that fine, but be sure to tell us what you did to get to where you are (ie, all the info requested in the OP), since a picture without context is hard to diagnose
(2017-09-01, 05:07)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-08-31, 19:05)buckyanguas Wrote: Hello,

TIA

that fine, but be sure to tell us what you did to get to where you are (ie, all the info requested in the OP), since a picture without context is hard to diagnose

I'll be sure to do that, thanks. I'm at the "shell" command screen. Don't know what to do. I tried typing "exit' but the chromeOS in the USB stick I've made doesn't boot up. It just loops to the chrome screen then cycles to black screen and all over again. How can I reinstall the ChromeOS or continue to install kodi from here. I was doing the standalone option, not the dual boot.

Hope someone can help, total NOOB here.

Thanks!
(2017-09-01, 08:17)buckyanguas Wrote: I'll be sure to do that, thanks. I'm at the "shell" command screen. Don't know what to do. I tried typing "exit' but the chromeOS in the USB stick I've made doesn't boot up. It just loops to the chrome screen then cycles to black screen and all over again. How can I reinstall the ChromeOS or continue to install kodi from here. I was doing the standalone option, not the dual boot.

Thanks!

the EFI shell is what you get after installing the UEFI firmware when you don't have a bootable OS installed nor bootable external media attached. If you're wanting a standalone LE setup, then simply download the LE USB/SD creator application on another computer and run it to download/create the LE install media. Then power on the Chromebox with the install media inserted (it will auto-boot) and install LE.
(2017-09-01, 17:14)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-09-01, 08:17)buckyanguas Wrote: I'll be sure to do that, thanks. I'm at the "shell" command screen. Don't know what to do. I tried typing "exit' but the chromeOS in the USB stick I've made doesn't boot up. It just loops to the chrome screen then cycles to black screen and all over again. How can I reinstall the ChromeOS or continue to install kodi from here. I was doing the standalone option, not the dual boot.

Thanks!

the EFI shell is what you get after installing the UEFI firmware when you don't have a bootable OS installed nor bootable external media attached. If you're wanting a standalone LE setup, then simply download the LE USB/SD creator application on another computer and run it to download/create the LE install media. Then power on the Chromebox with the install media inserted (it will auto-boot) and install LE.

Ok, I'll be trying this. Hope this works for me (hope I do it right, haha). I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Matt!
(2017-09-02, 05:07)buckyanguas Wrote:
(2017-09-01, 17:14)Matt Devo Wrote:

Thanks!

Ok, I'll be trying this. Hope this works for me (hope I do it right, haha). I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks Matt!
What version should I download?
(2017-09-02, 13:08)buckyanguas Wrote:
(2017-09-02, 05:07)buckyanguas Wrote:
(2017-09-01, 17:14)Matt Devo Wrote: the EFI shell is what you get after installing the UEFI firmware when you don't have a bootable OS installed nor bootable external media attached. If you're wanting a standalone LE setup, then simply download the LE USB/SD creator application on another computer and run it to download/create the LE install media. Then power on the Chromebox with the install media inserted (it will auto-boot) and install LE.

Thanks Matt!
What version should I download?

I've downloaded LE USB/SD creator, but when it starts to write the image on the USB an Error occurs. "Error: Couldn't Open/Volumes/NO NAME/LibreELEC-WeTek_Play.arm-8.1.1.img.gz

What am I doing wrong? Tried 2 different USB sticks and 1 SD card, same issue. Help!

THanks
you need to use generic not wetek build.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-03, 00:33)nickr Wrote: you need to use generic not wetek build.

Tried the Generic one, same error. I formatted the USB stick (ex-FAT) before use. Any thoughts?
What OS are you installing from?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-09-03, 08:50)nickr Wrote: What OS are you installing from?

I'm using a Macbook, OSX El Capitan. I hope this answers your question.
perhaps a bad download of the .img.gz file. How many bytes is it? What does md5sum tell you?
I have to check again. How can I find out the md5sum?
(2017-09-06, 15:39)buckyanguas Wrote: I have to check again. How can I find out the md5sum?

this doesn't sound like a checksum issue, it sounds like an issue with the LibreELEC USB/SD creator tool under MacOS. As few if anyone here is using it, I'd suggest you either try creating the media from another PC, or use the official LE support avenues (either their forums or IRC) as they'll be able to better help you (and this issue has nothing to do with the fact that you're installing to a Chromebox, other than dictating you use the Generic x86_64 image for install)
  • 511(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37