• 89(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-09-08, 07:37)pettergulbra Wrote:
(2014-09-07, 23:11)Matt Devo Wrote: if you're not a linux guy, and don't want to bother to learn (which is fine), then running a full linux distro and having to manually manage updates is probably not for you. OpenELEC, on the other hand, is designed to turn your computer into an XBMC appliance - it's self updating (though betas are manual), and geared towards users who want to run XBMC, not manage a linux install.

Unless there's some functionality that you absolutely need and isn't offered by OpenELEC (or an add-on), then there's absolutely no reason not to run it. That's especially true for ChromeBox users, since that's where my focus is.

Thanks for the answer.
The manual updates of XBMC, I think I will handle, surely I can learn the update the Linux when that is needed.
I think I need to run Linux under XBMC because of the web browser viewing needed from time to time.

As I read on the OE forum, the Chromium addon was not very stable, and then that can get really a hassle.
My wife want to watch some things on the web, and there is no addons for this pages.

See you recommend Arch Linux, is this an small Linux and a simple one?
Or will it do with the package in the script of this thread?

I'd start with dual-booting Ubuntu using the script then. It will get you set up with an updated kernel and pre-install XBMC, all you will have to do is add Chromium. Alternately, someone did do a write-up on the forums here to set up Arch on the ChromeBox; you can read that and see if you think it's doable.
I don't recommend arch at all. They patch xbmc to their likes and users cannot get correct xbmc support, cause no xbmc dev knows what they currently ship. Furthermore they have a Problem with systemd, xbmc-standalone and audio.

If you like selfmade pain then go with arch.

Btw. If you need advanced post processing there is currently only one non released driver that can do that. Built in wsnipex vaapi ppa from my github Intel driver ppa branch.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have seen you say that before and I am a bit of a fan of arch so I took a look.

This is their build file:

https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/...kages/xbmc

Frankly there doesn't seem to be a lot of patching going on. However you are far more of an expert than me, so can you tell us what bits concern you?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Nice. They finally learned sth.

Check the older official packages. Last time they patched out ffmpeg, patched in libav and sent tons! off users with non working Video to our forums while having a salty comment in the build script on how dump xbmc devs are to have an internal, tested Version.

Finally okay.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2014-09-08, 07:37)pettergulbra Wrote: [quote='Matt Devo' pid='1789723' dateline='1410124284']
As I read on the OE forum, the Chromium addon was not very stable, and then that can get really a hassle.
My wife want to watch some things on the web, and there is no addons for this pages.

I use the Chromium addon to watch live streaming sport online and It work perfectly. It doesn't work with netflix but for other streaming need it's perfect Smile
I've been poking around some forums recently looking for something that will run xbmc to replace my wdtv player. I reckon the Chromebox is a great bet, particularly as Matt's script makes it such an easy set up. So I'm ready to take the plunge and buy a Chromebox in the next week or two but I have a couple of questions first.

I've never used a linux distro before and I doubt that will be too much of an issue with an OE/xbmc set up but for those times I might need to edit an xbmc user file like keyboard.xml for example, how do I go about it? In a windows environment I just navigate to the user folder. How does this happen in OE where there is no desktop environment or command lines etc?

I've order a FLIRC as i reckon it will suit my needs perfectly. How would I set the power button to directly power the Chromebox off? Mapping the 's' key to the power button would bring up the power menu where I could choose sleep, suspend, power off etc but is there way to power off in one step? I've read people have had issues waking up their devices from sleep. Given these boxes will boot in under 10 seconds, what is the advantage of putting the box into sleep?

Thanks

Dave

(2014-09-07, 19:50)c0mm0n Wrote: So shutdown is set to "suspend" in XBMC right ? Detail your harmony settings, which devices have you set up ?

Yes, it's set to suspend. Harmony device is set as media center extender. The remote settings are fine. I programmed an extra button for powertoggle, so I can press it if it doesn't turn on normally. That button will turn it off, but not on. The receiver flashes dimly showing its receiving the command, but the box doesn't wake.

I wonder if its the skin, I immediately changed it to Aeon Nox 5 (Gotham). Although I don't see how the skin would be doing it, unless the settings are different and it's not actually putting it in suspend.
I would try these profiles on the harmony.
- Microsoft : Windows media center SE
- Microsoft : XBMC
@rubicon

You edit files one of two ways in openelec:

1. Use SSH, which is a remote commandline. Works from all oses.

2. Open the file from the built in file sharing - samba - it is windows compatible so just browse to openelec in windows networking and open the file with some decent editor like notepad++. Not notepad!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-09-08, 12:42)Rubicon99 Wrote: I've order a FLIRC as i reckon it will suit my needs perfectly. How would I set the power button to directly power the Chromebox off? Mapping the 's' key to the power button would bring up the power menu where I could choose sleep, suspend, power off etc but is there way to power off in one step? I've read people have had issues waking up their devices from sleep. Given these boxes will boot in under 10 seconds, what is the advantage of putting the box into sleep?

Nickr has covered the file editing.

If you use an MCE remote then the power button automatically executes whatever power option you have picked in the settings. In my case it puts the Chromebox to sleep/suspend.

The reason I use sleep is because I can then wake the Chromebox with the MCE remote, currently not possible if the Chromebox is full shutdown.
(2014-09-08, 12:52)c0mm0n Wrote: I would try these profiles on the harmony.
- Microsoft : Windows media center SE
- Microsoft : XBMC

An actual MCE remote I have acts the same way, it will fully control everything once XBMC is running, and will sleep/suspend the chromebox. It won't wake it up. It's not the remote, it's not my harmony settings. Matt even suggests using 'windows media center extender' as the device, not 'Windows media center SE' and 'Windows media center keyboard' like you do for XBMC on windows.
So if it's working for me that's the IR receiver ? (have the HP model with ortek IR)
wake from suspend is working 100% here as well (just tested on 4.1.6, suspending/resuming about 20 times), using both an HP 5187-4593 receiver as well as a MS 1040 receiver, with either an HP MCE remote or a Harmony One programmed as a MCE.
I'll get the proper model number later but I can confirm that wake from suspend also works great with a Sony branded MCE receiver that looks like this:

(2014-09-08, 15:59)ant_thomas Wrote: I'll get the proper model number later but I can confirm that wake from suspend also works great with a Sony branded MCE receiver that looks like this:

give me the model # and I'll add it to the wiki
  • 89(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37