• 16(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-06-07, 20:06)Veronica Wrote: @matt could you reply to this please

I don't have/have never used a Flirc. The fix I posted is for certain Microsoft MCE IR receivers.

I'm not sure about the Intel driver bugs, not something I've had time to look at yet.
I could be wrong but it seems clear that the Intel bugs have been passed up the ladder to the Intel dev guys and they are happy with their current information and (hopefully) working on it.

Also, while I don't know anything about flirc....the remote found on section 2.3 of this wiki:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Lis...e_controls

simply emulates keyboard commands and presents no problems with the chromebox. It is dirt cheap and works great with harmony remotes. The receiver is kind of ugly/outdated but it isn't all that hard to hide somewhere and has pretty good line of site.

I probably wouldn't be happy about pulling my expensive flirc (if I had one) to put in some cheap chinese remote/receiver but sometimes a couple bucks is better than a few hours, you know?

Edit: Here's a link.
http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Wireless-Cente...ter+remote
(2014-06-08, 02:33)jsp1 Wrote: I could be wrong but it seems clear that the Intel bugs have been passed up the ladder to the Intel dev guys and they are happy with their current information and (hopefully) working on it.

Also, while I don't know anything about flirc....the remote found on section 2.3 of this wiki:

simply emulates keyboard commands and presents no problems with the chromebox. It is dirt cheap and works great with harmony remotes. The receiver is kind of ugly/outdated but it isn't all that hard to hide somewhere and has pretty good line of site.

I probably wouldn't be happy about pulling my expensive flirc (if I had one) to put in some cheap chinese remote/receiver but sometimes a couple bucks is better than a few hours, you know?

I believe you are correct re: the Intel driver bugs. We just need to be patient until new drivers are released.

For remotes, a Flirc *should* work, but if you're buying something new I'd recommend a genuine MCE remote/receiver, rather than one which just emulates a keyboard. Here's one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDNIRYA/ and here's the receiver only for Harmony users (and what I use myself): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZGHZ1G/
Personally I'm using a flirc on the chromebox and it's working perfectly in Ubuntu
(2014-06-08, 04:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-08, 02:33)jsp1 Wrote: I could be wrong but it seems clear that the Intel bugs have been passed up the ladder to the Intel dev guys and they are happy with their current information and (hopefully) working on it.

I believe you are correct re: the Intel driver bugs. We just need to be patient until new drivers are released.

For remotes, a Flirc *should* work, but if you're buying something new I'd recommend a genuine MCE remote/receiver, rather than one which just emulates a keyboard. Here's one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KDNIRYA/ and here's the receiver only for Harmony users (and what I use myself): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZGHZ1G/

I have a Rosewill MCE, should it be more reliable? I don't have any experience with MCE on the chromebox, so I'm just wondering if your recommendation is based on compatibility or quality? I certainly wouldn't argue that the HP you linked is of superior quality...and as IR only it is not significantly more expensive either. Not questioning your judgment here, just curious.
(2014-06-07, 18:03)Continuities Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 06:07)rampagewsu Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 05:45)Matt Devo Wrote: are you connecting to a TV or monitor? It seems that the resolution used on the SeaBIOS boot screen is not one that all TVs can handle. You can always try blindly selecting your USB installer by pressing [ESC] then [2] and seeing if the installer screen comes up. You might have to play with the timing though. I just reset / reflashed both my i3 and celeron ChromeBoxes here to make sure everything is ok with the files/script, and it appears to be.

Created an account just to comment on this. I had the same problem as blahfod...exact same.

I blind booted, escape, then 2 and voila! It worked. I'm using a hdmi to DVI cable on a POS 1680x1050 monitor for reference.

Thanks Matt! You saved my night.

I may be having the same problem, though the blind booting hasn't worked for me so far... When I turn on the ChromeBox, I get power (the fan spins, and the USB devices are powered), but no video signal at all over HDMI. Neither my 1080p television nor my 2560x1440 monitor work. I've tried the blind [ESC] [2] thing a bunch of times, to no avail. It shouldn't matter which USB ports the keyboard and bootable drive are plugged into, right?

This is what i did to get it working. Disconnect power from chromebox, wait, plug back in. turn on chromebox, (my usb stick has a light that indicates its being read) when you figure the usb stick is powered (5 seconds or so), press esc, then press 2, then press enter. (sounds dumb, but i wasnt pressing enter when trying esc-2 over and over. doing exactly as above sjhould do the trick.
blahfod
(2014-06-08, 05:44)blahfod Wrote: This is what i did to get it working. Disconnect power from chromebox, wait, plug back in. turn on chromebox, (my usb stick has a light that indicates its being read) when you figure the usb stick is powered (5 seconds or so), press esc, then press 2, then press enter. (sounds dumb, but i wasnt pressing enter when trying esc-2 over and over. doing exactly as above sjhould do the trick.
blahfod

enter isn't necessary to boot, but if whatever you're booting has a GRUB boot menu, then that's why you had to hit enter (after which the GPU was re-initialized and you got video)

(2014-06-08, 05:36)jsp1 Wrote: I have a Rosewill MCE, should it be more reliable? I don't have any experience with MCE on the chromebox, so I'm just wondering if your recommendation is based on compatibility or quality? I certainly wouldn't argue that the HP you linked is of superior quality...and as IR only it is not significantly more expensive either. Not questioning your judgment here, just curious.

many/most of the MCE remotes which act as keyboard emulators send Windows-specific commands for some of the buttons, rather than keyboard scan codes. That makes them useless under linux. If your Rosewill remote doesn't do that, great, but many/most of the cheap MCE clones do, which is why I recommend a genuine MCE IR receiver/remote, as it uses actual RC6 remote codes.
(2014-06-08, 17:54)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-08, 05:44)blahfod Wrote: This is what i did to get it working. Disconnect power from chromebox, wait, plug back in. turn on chromebox, (my usb stick has a light that indicates its being read) when you figure the usb stick is powered (5 seconds or so), press esc, then press 2, then press enter. (sounds dumb, but i wasnt pressing enter when trying esc-2 over and over. doing exactly as above sjhould do the trick.
blahfod

enter isn't necessary to boot, but if whatever you're booting has a GRUB boot menu, then that's why you had to hit enter (after which the GPU was re-initialized and you got video)

(2014-06-08, 05:36)jsp1 Wrote: I have a Rosewill MCE, should it be more reliable? I don't have any experience with MCE on the chromebox, so I'm just wondering if your recommendation is based on compatibility or quality? I certainly wouldn't argue that the HP you linked is of superior quality...and as IR only it is not significantly more expensive either. Not questioning your judgment here, just curious.

many/most of the MCE remotes which act as keyboard emulators send Windows-specific commands for some of the buttons, rather than keyboard scan codes. That makes them useless under linux. If your Rosewill remote doesn't do that, great, but many/most of the cheap MCE clones do, which is why I recommend a genuine MCE IR receiver/remote, as it uses actual RC6 remote codes.

Actually, it is the Rosewill that I was asking if I should switch to. I currently use the knockoff I posted about. The Rosewill is a genuine MCE as you have suggested so I was wondering if I should switch it out. You make a good point though, there are some function keys such as the colored (red/blue/yellow) that have a set output with the keyboard type remote and would require extra fooling around in keyboard.xml to function properly. I was just curious why MCE...not argumentative if it came across as such.
(2014-06-08, 18:25)jsp1 Wrote: Actually, it is the Rosewill that I was asking if I should switch to. I currently use the knockoff I posted about. The Rosewill is a genuine MCE as you have suggested so I was wondering if I should switch it out. You make a good point though, there are some function keys such as the colored (red/blue/yellow) that have a set output with the keyboard type remote and would require extra fooling around in keyboard.xml to function properly. I was just curious why MCE...not argumentative if it came across as such.

it's not just the colored buttons. On one MCE clone I tested, the menu, guide, info, and a few others did not work.

I think the XBMC wiki + a forum search should tell you if a given remote will work properly under linux, and what type it is. The key differentiator is whether the remote is a genuine MCE "eHome" remote, or a keyboard emulator. See: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...ol_Reviews. I'm not sure offhand which type the Rosewill is.
(2014-06-08, 18:40)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-06-08, 18:25)jsp1 Wrote: Actually, it is the Rosewill that I was asking if I should switch to. I currently use the knockoff I posted about. The Rosewill is a genuine MCE as you have suggested so I was wondering if I should switch it out. You make a good point though, there are some function keys such as the colored (red/blue/yellow) that have a set output with the keyboard type remote and would require extra fooling around in keyboard.xml to function properly. I was just curious why MCE...not argumentative if it came across as such.

it's not just the colored buttons. On one MCE clone I tested, the menu, guide, info, and a few others did not work.

I think the XBMC wiki + a forum search should tell you if a given remote will work properly under linux, and what type it is. The key differentiator is whether the remote is a genuine MCE "eHome" remote, or a keyboard emulator. See: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...ol_Reviews. I'm not sure offhand which type the Rosewill is.

It's an "eHome" remote.
(2014-06-08, 20:26)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-06-08, 18:40)Matt Devo Wrote: it's not just the colored buttons. On one MCE clone I tested, the menu, guide, info, and a few others did not work.

It's an "eHome" remote.

ok then it has my stamp of approval, for whatever that's worth Smile
Seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101008

It claims RC6 compatibility and looks suspiciously similar to 1.2 in the wiki. As it is working correctly with my old foxconn ion using openelec I suspect it should work well on chromebox as well. I haven't personally had any button mapping issues with the chinavision though, so not sure if it would be beneficial for me to switch.

Anyway, good to know that not all keyboard emulator type remotes play nicely with linux...I'll be keeping that in mind for future purposes.

Thanks.
(2014-06-08, 20:37)jsp1 Wrote: Seen here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6880101008

It claims RC6 compatibility and looks suspiciously similar to 1.2 in the wiki. As it is working correctly with my old foxconn ion using openelec I suspect it should work well on chromebox as well. I haven't personally had any button mapping issues with the chinavision though, so not sure if it would be beneficial for me to switch.

Anyway, good to know that not all keyboard emulator type remotes play nicely with linux...I'll be keeping that in mind for future purposes.

Thanks.

there's nothing specific to the ChromeBox that would affect remote compatibility, with the exception of resume from suspend, but pretty sure that's a linux/USB3 issue. If it works fine under OE on your other box, it will be fine on the CB and no need to replace.
I get this output from the reciever for anyone that wants to know it's information for future refernece.

Code:
ls /dev/input/by-id
usb-Formosa21_eHome_Infrared_Transceiver

sudo ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
    Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
    bus: 3, vendor/product: 147a:e03e, version: 0x1001
    Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
(2014-06-08, 22:07)tetsuya Wrote: I get this output from the reciever for anyone that wants to know it's information for future refernece.

Code:
ls /dev/input/by-id
usb-Formosa21_eHome_Infrared_Transceiver

sudo ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event12) with:
    Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
    Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Enabled protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC other
    Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
    bus: 3, vendor/product: 147a:e03e, version: 0x1001
    Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 125 ms

the easiest way to tell is with:
Code:
lsusb -v | grep 'eHome'

if it returns something, you have a genuine MCE / eHome receiver; if not, it's a keyboard emulator / clone.
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37