• 37(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hello Matt / Igor,

I got Fedora, XBMC and Steam (buggy as hell though) working.

But I am thoroughly and utterly defeated trying to get the IR sensor to work in Fedora. I tried yum install lirc, tried plugging it into every single different usb port, nothing.

I bought this one:
http://www.amazon.com/HP-Remote-receiver...rds=hp+mce

Tried this:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/html_single/Infrared-HOWTO/

And tried this:
https://communities.intel.com/message/212329#212329

And tried this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1688073

Am I overthinking this?
(2014-07-04, 05:57)Mark the Red Wrote: Hello Matt / Igor,

But I am thoroughly and utterly defeated trying to get the IR sensor to work in Fedora. I tried yum install lirc, tried plugging it into every single different usb port, nothing.

I bought this one:

Tried this:

And tried this:

And tried this:

Am I overthinking this?

as per the wiki, the MCE remote driver has a bus which affects some remotes when connected to a USB3 port. I submitted a patch to fix the issue; so far OpenELEC includes it, but it's not made it into the mainline linux kernel yet (looks like it will be merged in with 3.16 as per the commit log - https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel...c/mceusb.c). I also include it as part of the script's dual-boot / Ubuntu setup, but any other distro is going to require manually patching, compiling, and installing the updated driver. I linked to some info on the wiki, but that's really beyond the scope of an 'EZ setup' script, ya know?
(2014-07-04, 05:57)Mark the Red Wrote: Hello Matt / Igor,

I bought this one:

Tried this:

And tried this:

And tried this:

Am I overthinking this?

Sorry, can help with this. I'm using Logitech k400 and yatse as remotes.
What steam bugs you are talking about?
(2014-07-04, 08:33)Matt Devo Wrote: as per the wiki, the MCE remote driver has a bus which affects some remotes when connected to a USB3 port. I submitted a patch to fix the issue; so far OpenELEC includes it, but it's not made it into the mainline linux kernel yet (looks like it will be merged in with 3.16 as per the commit log - https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel...c/mceusb.c). I also include it as part of the script's dual-boot / Ubuntu setup, but any other distro is going to require manually patching, compiling, and installing the updated driver. I linked to some info on the wiki, but that's really beyond the scope of an 'EZ setup' script, ya know?

^^ I did read the wiki, but yes I did deserve the RTFM. Smile I gave up on Fedora / Steam and installed standalone OpenElec. However, it still doesn't work. Is there some script I have to run with OpenELEC to get it to work? I looked through all the remote control opens in OpenELEC but it all seemed to refer mainly to the smartphone apps. Do I have to compile the C++ script you posted and run that from SSH within OpenELEC? I bought the HP MCE receiver mainly based on the fact I have a Harmony One and it would be great for the WAF to use the Harmony to control this (and you seemed to have a swell working system with identical hardware). Sorry I am a total Linux retard Matt.....

Appreciate all the help. PS: I used this OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:4.0.6 2014-06-25 18:56:16 standalone because I no longer have access to the dual boot setup you created. Is the one your script installs a different version? I used the Windows Media Player MCE Harmony codes per the XBMC wiki instructions and I am confident my Harmony is configured correctly. The HP MCE definitely is responding to the signal; it just appears the Chromebox is ignoring it...

(2014-07-04, 11:47)Igor2014 Wrote: Sorry, can help with this. I'm using Logitech k400 and yatse as remotes.
What steam bugs you are talking about?

Regarding the Steam bugs, if it goes to Big Picture mode, all I see is blue screen and bubbles (as if I am seeing a highly zoomed iun bottom right corner of the entire screen). Alt +f4 closes it but I can only run it in typical old school Steam mode. Also I have to disconnect the keyboard because it forces the cursor to always push to the left. Tried it with two separate keyboards to rule it out.

I think I did a bad install of the Fedora OS because whenever I tried to install the RPM repositories it only allowed me to install <1/3rd of it. Kept giving me error messages. Then I installed the non-free repositories and similar deal. It definitely seemed to do something but I wasn't overly confident afterwards with all the error messages. I tried installing Fedora 20 KDE -> updating Fedora -> installing RPM AND installing Fedora 20 KDE -> installing RPM -> updating Fedora and had the issue both ways. Sadly I am a Linux retard. Bill Gates has earned my money IMHO.

Happy 4th of July! Appreciate all the help.
(2014-07-05, 00:51)Mark the Red Wrote: ^^ I did read the wiki, but yes I did deserve the RTFM. Smile I gave up on Fedora / Steam and installed standalone OpenElec. However, it still doesn't work. Is there some script I have to run with OpenELEC to get it to work? I looked through all the remote control opens in OpenELEC but it all seemed to refer mainly to the smartphone apps. Do I have to compile the C++ script you posted and run that from SSH within OpenELEC? I bought the HP MCE receiver mainly based on the fact I have a Harmony One and it would be great for the WAF to use the Harmony to control this (and you seemed to have a swell working system with identical hardware). Sorry I am a total Linux retard Matt.....

Appreciate all the help. PS: I used this OpenELEC Stable - Generic x86_64 Version:4.0.6 2014-06-25 18:56:16 standalone because I no longer have access to the dual boot setup you created. Is the one your script installs a different version? I used the Windows Media Player MCE Harmony codes per the XBMC wiki instructions and I am confident my Harmony is configured correctly. The HP MCE definitely is responding to the signal; it just appears the Chromebox is ignoring it...

OpenELEC 4.x should work out of the box with any MCE receiver/remote - no additional configuration is necessary.

I looked at the XBMC wiki, but couldn't find anything specific to configuring the Harmony, so not sure how you set yours up. But I'd recommend setting it up as a Media Center PC / Microsoft / Media Center Extender. That config + the HP MCE receiver will work OOTB.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=95063

This was the method I used to program the Harmony One. I'll try reinstalling OpenELEC again to see if that fixes it. I assume your MCE is plugged into the back of the Chromebox?

Its definitely not the IR receiver or the Harmony. Just plugged it into my Windows 8.1 machine with XBMC and works perfectly. Is there some ssh command that pings this damned thing? I'll try re-flashing your BIOS Matt. Something is not right on the Chromebox.....

Reflashed it. Reporting SeaBIOS (version rel-1.7.5-8-g11a8d89-20140630-Matt Devo). Appears legit......
Setup the harmony as I described, not as a keyboard. XBMC is expecting the remote to send IR codes, not keyboard scan codes (unless configured to).

There's nothing wrong with your firmware or OpenELEC setup
I've tried everything. Its not the Remote or the Sensor. Its something to do with the USB 3.0 port issue. I suspect its the new Chromebox's because mine had two firmware disable screws and a slightly different guts layout . I tried reinstalling the firmware / coreboot in both situations, but nada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9skJ0sv...e=youtu.be

Appreciate the help, but I've hit a wall. I'll wait for a newer Fedora package to come out, because with that I at least had a device manager interface where I could confirm this sensor was detected.
(2014-07-05, 03:44)Mark the Red Wrote: I've tried everything. Its not the Remote or the Sensor. Its something to do with the USB 3.0 port issue. I suspect its the new Chromebox's because mine had two firmware disable screws and a slightly different guts layout . I tried reinstalling the firmware / coreboot in both situations, but nada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9skJ0sv...e=youtu.be

Appreciate the help, but I've hit a wall. I'll wait for a newer Fedora package to come out, because with that I at least had a device manager interface where I could confirm this sensor was detected.

The fact that the remote works under Windows as configured has no correlation to it working under Linux. Did you try configuring the Harmony as a MCE IR device (media center extender) as I said earlier? If not, do that and report back.

I highly doubt your ChromeBox is any different than the ones I have here. There are two similar screws used to hold the board to the case; only one of them is used to enable the firmware write-protect.

There's also plenty of ways we can troubleshoot this in OpenELEC via ssh, but I'm not going down that route until you configure the Harmony as instructed.
I have configured my Harmony per your instructions. As a backup I have included (2) other versions of the Microsoft Media Center Extended as alternate devices to test as well. Microsoft Media Center Extender, Microsoft Media Center, and Microsoft Media Center SE. On the default Microsoft Media Center Extender I am using, the default Harmony touch screen buttons are Start, RecTV, LiveTV, Back, Radio, Music.
(2014-07-05, 04:31)Mark the Red Wrote: I have configured my Harmony per your instructions. As a backup I have included (2) other versions of the Microsoft Media Center Extended as alternate devices to test as well. Microsoft Media Center Extender, Microsoft Media Center, and Microsoft Media Center SE. On the default Microsoft Media Center Extender I am using, the default Harmony touch screen buttons are Start, RecTV, LiveTV, Back, Radio, Music.

ok then.

1) ensure that 'Remote control sends keyboard presses' is deselected under XBMC Settings/System/Input Devices.

2) what's the model # on the bottom of your IR receiver? It's listed after " HP P/N"

3) boot up OE without the IR receiver connected, then plug in the IR receiver. SSH into OE, output dmesg to text, post the last 20 lines of the file here in a formatted code block.

here's what mine looks like:
Code:
[   23.931466] usb 1-5: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[   24.141366] Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[   24.141528] input: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/rc/rc0/input16
[   24.141753] rc0: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (0471:0815) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/rc/rc0
[   24.149390] IR RC5(x) protocol handler initialized
[   24.150306] IR NEC protocol handler initialized
[   24.153975] IR RC6 protocol handler initialized
[   24.156534] IR JVC protocol handler initialized
[   24.159300] IR Sony protocol handler initialized
[   24.162032] IR SANYO protocol handler initialized
[   24.166450] IR MCE Keyboard/mouse protocol handler initialized
[   24.168262] input: MCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as /devices/virtual/input/input17
[   24.173148] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 248
[   24.173740] rc rc0: lirc_dev: driver ir-lirc-codec (mceusb) registered at minor = 0
[   24.173745] IR LIRC bridge handler initialized
[   24.341360] mceusb 1-5:1.0: Registered Philips eHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[   24.341366] mceusb 1-5:1.0: 2 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x1 active)
[   24.341402] usbcore: registered new interface driver mceusb

the important things to note are:
- lines 3/4/16, the receiver is detected as an 'eHome' type receiver
- line 17, of the 2 rx sensors, 1 is active (if yours says 0x0, that's a problem)

if your dmesg output is identical to mine, then the problem is with the remote setup, not the receiver unit (or OE).
(2) The Model # is tsgi-ir01

PHP Code:
[    3.055788IPv6ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): wlan0link becomes ready
[    3.495347randomnonblocking pool is initialized
[   21.421888usb 1-5: new full-speed USB device number 5 using xhci_hcd
[   21.581943usb 1-5device descriptor read/64error -71
[   21.685226xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0Setup ERRORsetup context command for slot 4.
[   21.845179usb 1-5: new full-speed USB device number 6 using xhci_hcd
[   22.020356usb 1-5config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 endpoint 0x1 has an invalid bInterval 0changing to 32
[   22.020367usb 1-5config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 endpoint 0x81 has an invalid bInterval 0changing to 32
[   22.058383Registered IR keymap rc-rc6-mce
[   22.058520inputMedia Center EdeHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1784:0006) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/rc/rc0/input17
[   22.058582rc0Media Center EdeHome Infrared Remote Transceiver (1784:0006) as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-5/1-5:1.0/rc/rc0
[   22.064679IR NEC protocol handler initialized
[   22.066310IR RC5(xprotocol handler initialized
[   22.070531IR RC6 protocol handler initialized
[   22.074188IR JVC protocol handler initialized
[   22.076308IR Sony protocol handler initialized
[   22.076473IR SANYO protocol handler initialized
[   22.078014IR MCE Keyboard/mouse protocol handler initialized
[   22.084276lirc_devIR Remote Control driver registeredmajor 248
[   22.084536IR LIRC bridge handler initialized
[   22.084774inputMCE IR Keyboard/Mouse (mceusb) as /devices/virtual/input/input18
[   22.085203rc rc0lirc_devdriver ir-lirc-codec (mceusbregistered at minor 0
[   22.258374mceusb 1-5:1.0Registered TopSeed Technology CorpeHome Infrared Transceiver with mce emulator interface version 1
[   22.258380mceusb 1-5:1.02 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active)
[   
22.258417usbcoreregistered new interface driver mceusb 

You are correct in that it is recognizing this as an ehome device. I do see an error message on line 21.685226. Probably unrelated....

It does say 0x0 per your warning.
(2014-07-05, 20:04)Mark the Red Wrote:
PHP Code:
[   21.581943usb 1-5device descriptor read/64error -71
[   21.685226xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0Setup ERRORsetup context command for slot 4.
[   22.020356usb 1-5config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 endpoint 0x1 has an invalid bInterval 0changing to 32
[   22.020367usb 1-5config 1 interface 0 altsetting 0 endpoint 0x81 has an invalid bInterval 0changing to 32
[   22.258380mceusb 1-5:1.02 tx ports (0x0 cabled) and 2 rx sensors (0x0 active

those lines I left in are a problem. Can you boot an OpenELEC live USB on your Windows box and see if the receiver/remote works with it? Presumably connected to a USB2 port

edit: also, paste in the relevant output from lsusb -v for the IR receiver. Here's mine for reference:

Code:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0471:0815 Philips (or NXP) eHome Infrared Receiver
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        16
  idVendor           0x0471 Philips (or NXP)
  idProduct          0x0815 eHome Infrared Receiver
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1 Philips
  iProduct                2 eHome Infrared Transceiver
  iSerial                 3 PH00OIT9
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           32
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
      bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
      iInterface              0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0010  1x 16 bytes
        bInterval               0
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered
The IR sensor and remote work OOTB on the OpenELEC on my Windows PC.

Below is the readout from the Chromebox

PHP Code:
Bus 001 Device 008ID 1784:0006 TopSeed Technology CorpeHome Infrared Transceiver
Device Descriptor
:

bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass            0 
(Defined at Interface level)

bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x1784 TopSeed Technology Corp

idProduct          0x0006 eHome Infrared Transceiver