• 75(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
What method do you suggest to create installation media? My ISO image of Windows 8 (not 8.1) is from Technet, and I've burned it to DVD and installed from it multiple times. I used UNetbootin to make the USB drive, which failed. I also tried Rufus, selecting the "MBR Partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI computers." Both times I faced the exact same errors. Could it be a problem of the USB drive itself? Should I try an SD Card? What about an external DVD drive? Somehow it doesn't seem like an install media problem to me -- Windows mostly installs, but when it reboots and loads off the SSD to finish the installation, it fails then. It still says something about the display next to the error message - something like 'basic display'.
Maybe try a different USB stick? I had no issues with Rufus.

Or did you mean the Windows install failed, but creating the install media was successful?

Have you tested your hardware? RAM ok? SSD ok? Just to exclude it?
Does audio over HDMI work yet? Any other issues with Windows on these boxes?
TV: VIZIO E-Series 43”
HTPC: Raspberry Pi 3
STORAGE: Windows 8 Server with DrivePool (Currently with 24TB)
(2014-08-22, 11:58)mprassel Wrote: Does audio over HDMI work yet? Any other issues with Windows on these boxes?

Did not get audio over HDMI to work and eventually gave up. Have not seen any reports of it working.

This is really the wrong thread for all this, isn't it?
(2014-08-22, 11:58)mprassel Wrote: Does audio over HDMI work yet? Any other issues with Windows on these boxes?

these aren't meant to run windows; if that's what you want, get a NUC or a Brix.

(2014-08-22, 12:05)DocG Wrote: Did not get audio over HDMI to work and eventually gave up. Have not seen any reports of it working.

This is really the wrong thread for all this, isn't it?

indeed
(2014-07-18, 23:07)igjunk Wrote: Matt, first of thanks a lot for all the hard work you have put into this. It really has helped a lot of people!

I tried followed all of the instructions, but now my chromebox reboots with the following message:
"SeaBIOS (version rel-1.7.5-9-ge0678e9-20140709-MattDevo)

Booting from Hard Disk...

And there is nothing I can do except reboot it. I tried factory reset with the reset button, but it ignores it. I tried pressing ESC to get to the boot menu, tried pressing CTRL-D, and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have this exact issue. I followed the steps of the OP verbatim for standalone - created my USB installation and everything was successful. I got up to the part where I reboot and am supposed to have 5 ~ 6 seconds to press esc to install OpenELEC standalone and I'm presented with the following screen:

Code:
SeaBIOS (version rel-1.7.5-10-g8e966c6-20140729-MattDevo)

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernel.

I made sure the USB key is secure and tried several different ports.

Could it be that it doesn't like the USB key i'm using? I never see any screen that says "Press ESC". I've tried rapidly hitting ESC, CTRL-D but neither seem to do anything and it sits at the screen.

I was able to get it to stop at the boot: prompt instead of trying to boot the hard drive by doing a combination of ESC & CTRL+C. What would I have to type here to make it boot from the USB drive?

Is there something that I'm missing? I didn't change any delay settings, just ran the standalone setup, prepared my USB key for installation, and then rebooted.
Nevermind, fixed the issue myself. For whatever reason the OpenELEC release that the script created was not bootable. I downloaded the ChromiumOS img file and it gave me the 5 sec timeout and I was able to choose boot from USB.

Might start over and reflash the backup of my rom
(2014-08-22, 23:31)devz3ro Wrote: Might start over and reflash the backup of my rom

why on earth would you do that? If your OE install media isn't working, just download/create it on another PC, then install as normal.
I didn't actually do that :-).

Found a old 1gb flash drive I had laying around and used that to install OpenELEC (downloaded the latest version from their website and used their tools to create the usb installer)..

Everything is working now as expected.

Thanks again for your development work it's very much appreciated

OpenELEC was the reason I bought the thing (was a toss-up between the chromebox and amazon firetv).
Hi Mat,
Thank you for creating this install and keeping it going and all your help for people in implementing it.
I just purchased a new Asus Chrombox and would like to install XBMC with openELECT and change Chrome to Android under dual boot.
Is this doable? and how do you do it? I do not see it mentioned in your first great post.
Best Regards.
(2014-08-23, 06:19)figaro Wrote: Hi Mat,
Thank you for creating this install and keeping it going and all your help for people in implementing it.
I just purchased a new Asus Chrombox and would like to install XBMC with openELECT and change Chrome to Android under dual boot.
Is this doable? and how do you do it? I do not see it mentioned in your first great post.
Best Regards.

I'm not aware of any way that you can run Android on a ChromeBox, dual boot or otherwise
Hey Matt. Loving the chromebox. Got 4 more converts for your cult over the past two weeks when I demo'd it to them.

Kind of off-topic, but what NAS setup are you running? I'm looking to get one and rather than go down the research rabbit hole, I would rather blindly trust a man's judgment of whom I trust.

More Kool-Aid!
(2014-08-23, 07:35)Matt Devo Wrote: I'm not aware of any way that you can run Android on a ChromeBox, dual boot or otherwise
Isn't there an x86 version of Android?
(2014-08-23, 07:37)Mark the Red Wrote: Hey Matt. Loving the chromebox. Got 4 more converts for your cult over the past two weeks when I demo'd it to them.

Kind of off-topic, but what NAS setup are you running? I'm looking to get one and rather than go down the research rabbit hole, I would rather blindly trust a man's judgment of whom I trust.

More Kool-Aid!

I have an old Netgear ReadyNAS unit (NV+) which is a bit slow (CPU limited to 30MB/s read/write) but otherwise works well. Need to upgrade it to a newer x86-based unit.

(2014-08-23, 15:29)Stereodude Wrote: Isn't there an x86 version of Android?

there is, but last time I checked it required UEFI to boot/install
(2014-08-23, 07:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-08-23, 06:19)figaro Wrote: Hi Mat,
Best Regards.

I'm not aware of any way that you can run Android on a ChromeBox, dual boot or otherwise

Thanks for the fast response.
Too bad because I use several apps on Android that will not run on Chrome,
I will keep searching and trying and will report.
Best Regards,

(2014-08-23, 15:29)Stereodude Wrote:
(2014-08-23, 07:35)Matt Devo Wrote: I'm not aware of any way that you can run Android on a ChromeBox, dual boot or otherwise
Isn't there an x86 version of Android?

Thank you Stereodude for the idea,
I will try and report.
Best Regards,
  • 75(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37