• 99(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I have the same problem as you with my two boxes. I have been resisting using the soft reset but took the plunge last night. The option is under the menu that is duplicated so yes it is there.

If you have loads of apps, complicated setup, lots of thumbnails then maybe best to do a full backup using xbmc backup or equivalent. Do the soft reset, reinstall the backup utility. Before restoring from the backup I deleted the service Openelec settings just in case and the video and music databases from the backup file. I then restored. That greatly reduced the re-set up time to essentially setting the content type of the data sources, running a library update and small items such as the apps home page shortcuts etc.

Good luck.
I couldn't resist picking up the Asus when it was $144 the other day, but it looks like I too have the issue with not being able to get into developer mode with my HDMI display. I'll have to pick up an HDMI-DVD adapter to try it with my other monitor.
(2014-09-15, 03:56)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-14, 21:58)figaro Wrote: Hi Matt,
New Asus Chrombox, as per your much appreciated script and instruction, configured to Setup: ChromeOS + OpenELEC (dual boot).
Problems: 1-Audio OK on XBMC. No audio on Chrome side. I am using HDMI connection.
2- Booting into Chrome. Booting time is so short, I am having problem clicking (ctrl+L) to boot into XBMC. Any way to start with a booting choice.
These issues may have been addressed in this post, but the search function was not helpful.
Your help will be much appreciated.
Best Regards.

1) I really can't help you with ChromeOS audio issues; I don't use ChromeOS at all. Try the ChromeBox or Chromebooks communities on Google+ for best chance at a useful response

2) use the script option to set the boot delay back to 30s, rather than 1s.

Thanks Matt for your answers.
Regarding the "NO AUDIO ON HDMI":
Tried the ChromeBox and Chromebooks communities on Google+ :could not find an answer, very confusing, disorganized postings,
Called Asus, They do not have an answer.
It appears many people have the same problem and it happened after the last Chrome OS update.
May be somebody on this thread has an answer?
Best Regards
(2014-09-16, 04:05)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-16, 03:59)dchabby Wrote: ok tried that but I saw the same popup when rebooting and then the same situation with the openelec network settings (cant get them)

is it time to try and reinstall ? is that an easy process ?

you can do a 'soft reset' which is effectively the same thing. only takes me 5 min or so to reset everything, but I'm well-practiced given the amount of testing I do

(2014-09-16, 18:05)Islander3153 Wrote: It is an options under Openelec system menu. Do a soft not a hard reset.

Thanks - looks like a soft reset did the trick. Didn't see the scanning pop up after rebooting and the openelec network settings were available so I changed the one that was suggested.

Matt - thanks again for all your work on this !!
(2014-09-17, 02:05)figaro Wrote: Thanks Matt for your answers.
Tried the ChromeBox and Chromebooks communities on Google+ :could not find an answer, very confusing, disorganized postings,
It appears many people have the same problem and it happened after the last Chrome OS update.
Best Regards

you're really going to get the best help on one of those G+ communities, as those folks are actually running ChromeOS, whereas most people here are not. If you haven't posted on there, I'd suggest doing so.
(2014-09-17, 18:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
Best Regards

you're really going to get the best help on one of those G+ communities, as those folks are actually running ChromeOS, whereas most people here are not. If you haven't posted on there, I'd suggest doing so.

Hi Matt,
Thanks again for your advise,
Now the people at Google suggested re-installing the Chrome OS,
To continue to have my dual boot setup, do I reinstall the recovery image with pushing the recovery reset with a paper clip and follow the directions ? am I going to loose my OPENELECXBMC installation (I spent 5 days to configure) and have to start all over again? is there any better way?
Best Regards.
Backup your install and copy the .tar generated to a USB stick
(2014-09-18, 02:00)figaro Wrote:
(2014-09-17, 18:15)Matt Devo Wrote:
Best Regards

Hi Matt,
To continue to have my dual boot setup, do I reinstall the recovery image with pushing the recovery reset with a paper clip and follow the directions ? am I going to loose my OPENELECXBMC installation (I spent 5 days to configure) and have to start all over again? is there any better way?
Best Regards.

HI Matt,
Sorry for the re post. I am waiting for expert advise before I proceed with the Chrome OS re install.
Thanks again for your expert Help.
Best Regards.
(2014-09-19, 17:18)figaro Wrote:
(2014-09-18, 02:00)figaro Wrote:
(2014-09-17, 18:15)Matt Devo Wrote: you're really going to get the best help on one of those G+ communities, as those folks are actually running ChromeOS, whereas most people here are not. If you haven't posted on there, I'd suggest doing so.

Hi Matt,
Best Regards.

HI Matt,
Sorry for the re post. I am waiting for expert advise before I proceed with the Chrome OS re install.
Thanks again for your expert Help.
Best Regards.

i have no experience with dual booting or chromeos but you can back up your openelec settings via their addon and then restore them on a new install.
Matt, thanks for the script and instructions. I purchased a Chromebox and installed openelec as a single boot system without any problems. My only question is how do you keep the system updated? The box boots strait to XBMC now.

Thanks again.
OpenELEC will update itself, unless you are going to a new major version. ie 4.05 will auto update to 4.06, but not to 4.1.6.

Or you can do it manually by downloading a new version (not the disk image version, the tar file). Transfer the tar file to the openelec machine using scp or samba and put it in the /storage/.updates/ folder. Reboot. Done.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hi All.

I am trying to install xbmcbuntu instead of ubuntu. However when I go to load it from the usb stick it gives the error "Not Enough Memory To Load Specified Image."

Anybody know what's up with that or how to get around it. Do I need more than 2 Gigs of Ram?
(2014-09-20, 03:59)CommodoreTex Wrote: Hi All.

I am trying to install xbmcbuntu instead of ubuntu. However when I go to load it from the usb stick it gives the error "Not Enough Memory To Load Specified Image."

Anybody know what's up with that or how to get around it. Do I need more than 2 Gigs of Ram?

Standalone or dual boot? what app did you use to create the bootable USB install media?
(2014-09-20, 04:50)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-09-20, 03:59)CommodoreTex Wrote: Hi All.

Standalone or dual boot? what app did you use to create the bootable USB install media?

Dual Boot & Lili under windows
(2014-09-20, 04:51)CommodoreTex Wrote: Dual Boot & Lili under windows

assuming you are given the option to modify the boot parameters on the inital bootloader screen, try entering 'mem=1952M'
This is sometimes necessary when booting certain USB installers with the stock firmware. If that doesn't work, re-create the install media using UUI (universal USB installer) and boot with the above parameter added.
  • 99(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37