• 150(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-12-07, 21:07)Matt Devo Wrote: How is the Harmony remote set up in the Logitech software - what device? It should be set up as a Microsoft Media Center extender

(2014-12-07, 21:34)pglover19 Wrote: It is setup as a Microsoft MCE Keyboard in the Logitech software... Is that correct?

no, as I already stated, it needs to be set up as a Media Center Extender, which uses IR codes not keyboard scan codes.
(2014-12-07, 21:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-07, 21:07)Matt Devo Wrote: How is the Harmony remote set up in the Logitech software - what device? It should be set up as a Microsoft Media Center extender

(2014-12-07, 21:34)pglover19 Wrote: It is setup as a Microsoft MCE Keyboard in the Logitech software... Is that correct?

no, as I already stated, it needs to be set up as a Media Center Extender, which uses IR codes not keyboard scan codes.

Ok... I will post my results in 15 minutes..
(2014-12-07, 21:41)Matt Devo Wrote:

Problem solved.. Thank you so much for your help... This is awesome. My plans is to replace 6 mid-size tower HTPCs running XBMC with OpenElec running Kodi on the Asus ChromeBox. Is there any better alternative on the market today? I got 3 Asus Chromeboxes already for $104 during the Newegg sale.
(2014-12-07, 21:57)pglover19 Wrote: Problem solved.. Thank you so much for your help... This is awesome. My plans is to replace 6 mid-size tower HTPCs running XBMC with OpenElec running Kodi on the Asus ChromeBox. Is there any better alternative on the market today? I got 3 Asus Chromeboxes already for $104 during the Newegg sale.

np, next time just consult the ChromeBox wiki first - configuring as a MCE is listed for Harmony remotes. And I definitely believe that the ChromeBox is the best dedicated XBMC/Kodi box <$200 Smile
Hi Guys,

i'm having trouble installing openelec in standalone mode.

I did everything according to your instructions but now i am stuck with the part, where openelec should be actually installed.
The USB image your script downloaded didn't work. The system said: "failed to load com32 file vesamenu.c32". So i tried setting up my own bootable openelec install. I downloaded OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-4.2.1-efi.img and set up my USB stick with it (bootable of course, i used win32diskimager like openelec recommends).

So it boots from the stick and there comes the openelec splashscreen with 2 options: install or run a live version. But either option doesn't work. The box freezes i suppose, the text vanishes and all whats left is the splashscreen with the openelec writing and logo. The USB stick itself does not have any r/w actions according to its LED Smile I also left it alone for quite a while, but it didn't work either.
Am i maybe using the wrong image? I also tried different USB sticks.

I wanted to try to get back to the script from OP, but CTRL+ALT+F2 wouldn't work, and i don't know what else i could do.

Please help me - i'm out of ideas Smile

Thanks!
(2014-12-07, 22:39)AttacktheCow Wrote: Hi Guys,

I did everything according to your instructions but now i am stuck with the part, where openelec should be actually installed.
The USB image your script downloaded didn't work. The system said: "failed to load com32 file vesamenu.c32". So i tried setting up my own bootable openelec install. I downloaded OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-4.2.1-efi.img and set up my USB stick with it (bootable of course, i used win32diskimager like openelec recommends).

So it boots from the stick and there comes the openelec splashscreen with 2 options: install or run a live version. But either option doesn't work. The box freezes i suppose, the text vanishes and all whats left is the splashscreen with the openelec writing and logo. The USB stick itself does not have any r/w actions according to its LED Smile I also left it alone for quite a while, but it didn't work either.

there's no good reason that shouldn't work. Same thing with the 5.0 RC1 image? How about with an SD card? Does the install media you're creating work on another system? There's zero delays on a properly-working install - the entire process should take < 2 mins.

Quote:I wanted to try to get back to the script from OP, but CTRL+ALT+F2 wouldn't work, and i don't know what else i could do.

Thanks!

once you flash the standalone firmware, everything ChromeOS-related (recovery button, keyboard shortcuts, the OS itself) is gone -- it's just a regular PC now, albeit one with no installed OS.
Hi Matt.

First off, thank you for your contributions to this project! I'm a newb to OpenELEC/Linux/Kodi and your documentation has been amazing!

No matter how good the documentation is....leave it up to me to screw it up somehowBlush

I'm doing a standalone install on a Asus ChromeBox. I've completed these steps successfully:

•Put the ChromeBox in developer mode
•Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw
•Download/run the EZ setup script
•Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one ( my ROM is 8MB titled "stock-firmware-Panther-20141207")

I got excited at that point and rebooted the ChromeBox. If I would have read 1 line further down where you said "If you're going to install OpenELEC, you should go ahead and create the install media now (option 6) before rebooting."

Now I'm stuck at the "SeaBios (version rel - 1.7.5-120-gda6347f-20141202-Matt Devo) Booting from Hard Disk..." screen.

I didn't brick this thing did I?
(2014-12-08, 00:59)kxshook Wrote: I didn't brick this thing did I?

Nahhh too light for a brick, might make a nice paperweight.

(I am joking, Matt will be along soon!)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-12-08, 00:59)kxshook Wrote: Hi Matt.

First off, thank you for your contributions to this project! I'm a newb to OpenELEC/Linux/Kodi and your documentation has been amazing!

No matter how good the documentation is....leave it up to me to screw it up somehowBlush

I'm doing a standalone install on a Asus ChromeBox. I've completed these steps successfully:

•Put the ChromeBox in developer mode
•Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw
•Download/run the EZ setup script
•Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one ( my ROM is 8MB titled "stock-firmware-Panther-20141207")

I got excited at that point and rebooted the ChromeBox. If I would have read 1 line further down where you said "If you're going to install OpenELEC, you should go ahead and create the install media now (option 6) before rebooting."

Now I'm stuck at the "SeaBios (version rel - 1.7.5-120-gda6347f-20141202-Matt Devo) Booting from Hard Disk..." screen.

I didn't brick this thing did I?

No - if I read what you did correctly you've got a Chromebox waiting to boot from a USB installation stick, but haven't made one yet. You can create a USB stick to solve this on any other PC, Mac etc. you have and then boot the Chromebox with the stick inserted and continue to follow Matt's instructions. Matt's script just helps you create a USB installer (and I think links to a useful version) - but you can do this separately as well. You should be able to install any generic 64 bit OpenElec build at the stage you've reached I think.

The SeaBIOS screen is telling you it is waiting to boot, but it can't as there is nothing to boot from.
no brick, just needs an OS installed. download OpenElec from their website and create the install media, boot it, and install it
how well, does this do installing FULL ubuntu and then installing XBMC in ubuntu? i mean i woudnt mind having full ubuntu desktop and ability to start play my movies/tv in xbmc
it does fine, if that's the route you want to go
Works fine. Like any XBMC on top of Ubuntu install there are sometimes a few more hoops to jump through to get things working as you like compared to OpenElec (HD Audio can be a bit more work for instance) but it works the same on the Chromebox as any other PC really. Have two Chromeboxes. One running OpenElec standalone, one running Ubuntu + XBMC as a kind of 'play pen'. Both work well for me.
(2014-12-07, 22:49)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-07, 22:39)AttacktheCow Wrote: Hi Guys,

there's no good reason that shouldn't work. Same thing with the 5.0 RC1 image? How about with an SD card? Does the install media you're creating work on another system? There's zero delays on a properly-working install - the entire process should take < 2 mins.

Quote:I wanted to try to get back to the script from OP, but CTRL+ALT+F2 wouldn't work, and i don't know what else i could do.

Thanks!

once you flash the standalone firmware, everything ChromeOS-related (recovery button, keyboard shortcuts, the OS itself) is gone -- it's just a regular PC now, albeit one with no installed OS.

thank you for your quick response!

I dug out another flashdrive and suddenly it worked Big Grin Quite strange though...

Just nice to know: how do i get into the BIOS of the chromebox with the altered firmware (=bios?) installed?
there is no user interface to the Chromebox firmware, regardless if you are running the stock or my custom coreboot firmware
  • 150(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37