• 160(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Output is:

Linux Apollo 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did also try adding those boot parameters to the kernel (temporarily by entering the bootloader and hitting e) and it does not seem to make any difference.
(2014-12-15, 03:05)quicknir Wrote: Output is:

Linux Apollo 3.13.0-32-generic #57-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 15 03:51:08 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I did also try adding those boot parameters to the kernel (temporarily by entering the bootloader and hitting e) and it does not seem to make any difference.

that outdated kernel is absolutely your issue; full support for the Haswell platform wasn't added until 3.14.x. Assuming you are running Ubuntu 14.04, update to the latest kernel for it - which is 3.16.5 IIRC
Fantastic! Solved the CPU on idle issue, and I haven't seen any crashes since changing all the settings. Thanks very much for your support.
ok, dumb noob question, I set my Chromebox for a 30 sec timeout before boot to Chrome. But trying to switch over to boot into openelec as:

Regardless of the option selected, on the developer boot screen (white screen w/"OS Verification Off" text) you can always press [CTRL-D] to boot into ChromeOS or [CTRL-L] to boot OpenELEC/Ubuntu.

Isn't working. the white OS verification screen is showing ,but no amount of Ctrl L will get it to work. What am I not doing correctly. Logitech K400
Nvidia ShieldTV (2017)+Nexus
(2014-12-15, 04:37)christoofar Wrote: ok, dumb noob question, I set my Chromebox for a 30 sec timeout before boot to Chrome. But trying to switch over to boot into openelec as:

Regardless of the option selected, on the developer boot screen (white screen w/"OS Verification Off" text) you can always press [CTRL-D] to boot into ChromeOS or [CTRL-L] to boot OpenELEC/Ubuntu.

Isn't working. the white OS verification screen is showing ,but no amount of Ctrl L will get it to work. What am I not doing correctly. Logitech K400

Are you saying that you're using a K400? If so, from the Wiki:

Installation/Dual Booting:

Some keyboards seem to have issues working on the ChromeOS developer boot screen (before the OS is booted), and therefore cannot be used to setup/install Kodi on a ChromeBox. The Logitech K400 is one of these, so use another keyboard to install if yours doesn't appear to be working. Bluetooth keyboards will not work due to the fact that they require the OS to be loaded in order to connect to the ChromeBox.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-12-15, 04:45)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-12-15, 04:37)christoofar Wrote: ok, dumb noob question, I set my Chromebox for a 30 sec timeout before boot to Chrome. But trying to switch over to boot into openelec as:

Are you saying that you're using a K400? If so, from the Wiki:

Installation/Dual Booting:

Some keyboards seem to have issues working on the ChromeOS developer boot screen (before the OS is booted), and therefore cannot be used to setup/install Kodi on a ChromeBox. The Logitech K400 is one of these, so use another keyboard to install if yours doesn't appear to be working. Bluetooth keyboards will not work due to the fact that they require the OS to be loaded in order to connect to the ChromeBox.
Noted that it says" therefore cannot be used to install & setup Kodi". However, all that has been done already using another keyboard.I'm now just wanting to boot into open elec from the start screen. Am I not able to use this keyboard for ANY use with my Chromebox?
it says that the K400 doesn't work on the developer boot screen, so it follows that one cannot use it to select between options in dual boot setup, which is done from there. I'll update the wiki to clarify

the K400 works fine once the OS is loaded
(2014-12-15, 06:08)Matt Devo Wrote: it says that the K400 doesn't work on the developer boot screen, so it follows that one cannot use it to select between options in dual boot setup, which is done from there. I'll update the wiki to clarify

My K400 works for selecting a boot option from USB, after doing standalone Openelec setup.
Wow. RGB color range settings make a pretty big difference to video quality!

So far I've had everything on the default settings, which I think means "auto". But occasionally I'd get a picture that was way too dark (immediately obvious) which would be the result of the Chromebox selecting "Full" and the TV selecting "Limited". Typically I'd have to suspend/resume the box to correct the issue. So, last week, I added the startup command to force the Chromebox into Limited 16-235 mode, on the assumption that when the TV's Auto detection got it right it would be fine, and when it defaulted to failsafe "Limited" mode it would also be right.

But then tonight I was reading up on banding... and when I downloaded a greyscale bar test, sure enough I had it. Would it be obvious in normal playback? I'd say it would be, at least as regards smooth graduated background in cartoons, or nighttime skies, and so forth. So, playing around, I tried the suggested idea of forcing the Chromebox into "Full" mode, and then using the software option to force Kodi into 16-235 mode. Apparently this is the only way that doesn't result in Kodi having to convert color ranges? I also had to force the television into Limited mode for that input instead of Auto.

At any rate, the result was immediately apparent - greyscale bars are now **smooth** with no obvious banding. The only catch is all my devices feed through an A/V receiver to the same TV input, so all of them had to be made aware of the forced Limited color range setting as well - which thankfully works fine for my cable box and BD player.
(2014-12-15, 06:08)Matt Devo Wrote: it says that the K400 doesn't work on the developer boot screen, so it follows that one cannot use it to select between options in dual boot setup, which is done from there. I'll update the wiki to clarify

Thanks Matt. Well, bummer. Sad
(2014-12-15, 07:39)christoofar Wrote: Thanks Matt. Well, bummer. Sad

honestly, with Netflix working now under Ubuntu (and others), and the ability to access it via the NetfliXBMC add-on, the (media center related) reasons for dual booting ChromeOS are pretty minimal IMO
I am playing a bit with Asus Chromebox OpenELEC installation. But I cannot find a way to force the installer to partition the disk with the GPT partition scheme?! I looked at the installer script, and it should ask you if you want GPT or not, but I never get asked?! Is there a way to have the OpenELEC installed onto a GPT drive (got a new SSD so I am reinstalling). And the OE version is 4.2.1.

Thanks for your help!
I am playing a bit with Asus Chromebox OpenELEC installation. But I cannot find a way to force the installer to partition the disk with the GPT partition scheme?! I looked at the installer script, and it should ask you if you want GPT or not, but I never get asked?! Is there a way to have the OpenELEC installed onto a GPT drive (got a new SSD so I am reinstalling). And the OE version is 4.2.1.

Thanks for your help!
(2014-12-15, 09:28)dmalovic Wrote: I am playing a bit with Asus Chromebox OpenELEC installation. But I cannot find a way to force the installer to partition the disk with the GPT partition scheme?! I looked at the installer script, and it should ask you if you want GPT or not, but I never get asked?! Is there a way to have the OpenELEC installed onto a GPT drive (got a new SSD so I am reinstalling). And the OE version is 4.2.1.

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure why you want a GPT partition setup (in a standalone setup anyway), but that sure sounds like a question for the OpenELEC folks, since it's their installer (I haven't looked at that aspect of the code). If you're looking to run a dual boot setup on your new SSD, then you need to setup ChromeOS first using the recovery media (which will format the drive with a GPT setup), then run my setup script to resize the partitions/install OE
(2014-12-15, 09:41)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-15, 09:28)dmalovic Wrote: I am playing a bit with Asus Chromebox OpenELEC installation. But I cannot find a way to force the installer to partition the disk with the GPT partition scheme?! I looked at the installer script, and it should ask you if you want GPT or not, but I never get asked?! Is there a way to have the OpenELEC installed onto a GPT drive (got a new SSD so I am reinstalling). And the OE version is 4.2.1.

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure why you want a GPT partition setup (in a standalone setup anyway), but that sure sounds like a question for the OpenELEC folks, since it's their installer (I haven't looked at that aspect of the code). If you're looking to run a dual boot setup on your new SSD, then you need to setup ChromeOS first using the recovery media (which will format the drive with a GPT setup), then run my setup script to resize the partitions/install OE

I want to gave an option to play with several OS'es, have a dedicated swap partition, maybe even try windows, so I don't want to worry about 3+1 MBR limitation. Worked on this until 4AM this morning, and after waking up remembered I can manually create GPT partition scheme and manually create partitions. Looking forward to your new script, as IIRC, you said you were working on dual OS install with the standalone firmware.

Thanks for all your work and help!
  • 160(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37