• 214(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-01-26, 20:47)BigladUK Wrote: Did you only have 2gb before ?

Do you run a local database ( not an sql database )

Si

I have the HP which is pre-loaded with 2Gig which i replaced with an 8Gig stick. Yes, it is a local DB.
(2015-01-26, 20:45)sjskent Wrote: Thanks for the feedback Matt. Also, thanks for the script! Super easy to install. I did go ahead and add an 8gig stick. I have a large library and it was acting like it was slowing down with the more thumbs that were loading. It seems to be running much smoother now with the extended RAM. Movie thumbs are loading super fast and i can quickly scroll from the top of my library to the bottom with zero lag. If i see any more lag ill report it back.

how large a library are we talking about? I've yet to see a slowdown on mine, but I am using a central mySQL database on my NAS.

(2015-01-26, 20:48)sjskent Wrote:
(2015-01-26, 06:59)skeetz Wrote: Try another USB drive.
I had exactly the same experience as you. Initial 'ESC to boot from USB' but in my case I was late hitting ESC. And after that I was only getting 'Boot from Hard Disk' message. My keyboard was fine but the culprit was the USB thumb drive.. and it was a brand new recently bought 4gb drive. I had an 4yrs old 16gb OCZ USB drive so I downloaded the disk image from openelec's site onto it and lo and behold it finally showed the "ESC to boot from USB". So I suggest trying any other USB drive.

I had to try 3 different USB drives for this. I had a PNY thumb drive that i was able to load the restore onto, but then failed to be recognized at the restore step. I tried a SD drive that was not recognized at all. Then i pulled the memory card out of my camera and it worked perfectly. It was very picky.

If you have a USB stick that's not working and want to help me troubleshoot/fix the issue, send me a PM, as I thought I'd fixed most of them. I'd expect at this point the problem is going to be devices that don't init within the USB-spec specified time, given how quickly the system boots.
I followed the instructions and did a stand-alone install of Openelec. I'm now experimenting with different linux distributions.

The 16GB SSD has two partitions - one of about 400MB, the other has the remaining 15.6 GB or so. Can I remove the two partitions and create a single partition covering the whole drive, or does linux use that 400MB partition for boot or something else?
(2015-01-27, 08:26)theFan667 Wrote: I followed the instructions and did a stand-alone install of Openelec. I'm now experimenting with different linux distributions.

The 16GB SSD has two partitions - one of about 400MB, the other has the remaining 15.6 GB or so. Can I remove the two partitions and create a single partition covering the whole drive, or does linux use that 400MB partition for boot or something else?

that's just the way OpenELEC sets up its partitions, you should allow whatever distro you are installing to use/re-partition/format the entire disk.
OpenELEC needs two partitions. If you want to install another distro as well as openelc then you need two partitions still, but the second one (mounted as /storage) can be shrunk to 4GB according to this:

http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=Config_dualboot
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Guys,

I have the HP chromebox running openelec 4.2 i want to upgrade to openelec 5.0 can i simply follow instruction from openelec.tv ( download rar, place in folder update on chromebox, reboot, install) or do i need to do any special things before updating the chromebox?

Thanks!
LEVD
(2015-01-27, 15:55)levd Wrote: Guys,

I have the HP chromebox running openelec 4.2 i want to upgrade to openelec 5.0 can i simply follow instruction from openelec.tv ( download rar, place in folder update on chromebox, reboot, install) or do i need to do any special things before updating the chromebox?

Thanks!
LEVD

already been covered - you can do this, but if you have problems you need to do a hard reset (effectively a clean install) as the upgrade can potentially break things for various add-ons etc. There's no support here for a 4.2->5.0 upgrade.
I have just gotten around to using this fine script (much thanks Matt) and after a lot of problems, all of them to do with my TV not playing ball, I have finally flashed the box with Kodibuntu. I wanted the ability if i need it for another desktop and a way to integrate Netflix and Skype into the one box. The question is and if its not the right section i do apologise when i installed Kodibuntu i checked the box at installation to update the system but am unsure if it has also updated Kodi (i do get the Kodi splash screen at startup) Also I can't seem to find any settings for enabling bluetooth, i know this was discussed further back but maybe that was a openelec thing and not Kodibuntu. I have googled and i get posts from various places hinting that an app may be required but i haven't got a clue if thats right

on a positive note the quality of video is amazing. I watched the first ten minutes of 30 days of night at 1080P and was amazed
(2015-01-27, 19:23)danfloss Wrote: I have just gotten around to using this fine script (much thanks Matt) and after a lot of problems, all of them to do with my TV not playing ball, I have finally flashed the box with Kodibuntu. I wanted the ability if i need it for another desktop and a way to integrate Netflix and Skype into the one box. The question is and if its not the right section i do apologise when i installed Kodibuntu i checked the box at installation to update the system but am unsure if it has also updated Kodi (i do get the Kodi splash screen at startup) Also I can't seem to find any settings for enabling bluetooth, i know this was discussed further back but maybe that was a openelec thing and not Kodibuntu. I have googled and i get posts from various places hinting that an app may be required but i haven't got a clue if thats right

on a positive note the quality of video is amazing. I watched the first ten minutes of 30 days of night at 1080P and was amazed

BT should be enabled by default, but you'll likely need to access the normal desktop to pair any devices. But that's definitely more of a Kodibuntu/Linux support question than a ChromeBox one.
cheers matt will try that tomorrow
Hi Matt,

Ok thanks for the info!

LEVD

edit: updated worked perfectly
Just received my ASUS Chromebox yesterday, had standalone Openelec on it in about 45 minutes... and it's working flawlessly... thanks for all the good conversation and recommendation on this box it's great. The skeptic wife even admitted to being impressed with it. Even the Yatse remote on our phones works amazing... Couldn't be happier.
Is there a way to increase the amount of video memory allocated to the GPU in Kodibuntu?(on a hp chromebox) Steam is complaining about it. Want to use this thing to stream my steam games.
(2015-01-27, 20:10)levd Wrote: edit: updated worked perfectly
(2015-01-27, 22:13)Travisc Wrote: Just received my ASUS Chromebox yesterday, had standalone Openelec on it in about 45 minutes... and it's working flawlessly... thanks for all the good conversation and recommendation on this box it's great. The skeptic wife even admitted to being impressed with it. Even the Yatse remote on our phones works amazing... Couldn't be happier.

cheers!

(2015-01-27, 22:58)calev Wrote: Is there a way to increase the amount of video memory allocated to the GPU in Kodibuntu?(on a hp chromebox) Steam is complaining about it. Want to use this thing to stream my steam games.

If there is, I'm not aware of it. I tried adjusting the allocating in the firmware itself when someone else asked about it months ago, but it didn't seem to have any effect.
Hi Matt
First i want to thank you for what you did .I installed successfully duall boot for my Asus chrome box Intel I3 and kodi they plays all my mov files without a hipcup. However i have a problem which i need help from you to find a solution for it.

Im currently connecting chromebox to my denon 3312i receiver --> my projector. The problem is everytime i turn on chrome box, the video keeps flickering so many time and then it is off completely( it happens in both Chrome OS and openelec).I have to turn off my receiver and then turn it on again but the same problem will be back in couple minutes later. I don't have this problem if i use blu ray player instead of chrome box. I just did factory reset ( back to factory firmware ) and the problem was gone. No more flickering screen and the video output is stable. I know you created your own firmware and put it in your script so i just want to ask you if you have any clue how to fix this problem?

Thank you
  • 214(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37