• 216(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Spent six hours yesterday trying to pair a ps3 remote with kodibuntu. Was able to pair it but not able to hold the pair after reboot. There is quite a bit on pairing bluetooth devices with ubuntu and a thread here on Kodibuntu pairing with ps3 remote but none of it worked effectively, at least for a command line nob like me. Finally in frustration I threw the head up and installed openelec (on a temporary basis until i figure out where I'm going wrong)

I did notice that in Kodibuntu the CPU usage was 40-60% at idle, probably an easy fix but i didn't get that far. I also found that the ps3 controller when working had a distinctive lag, not pleasing at all and simply far too many buttons, I may splurge out on a new simpler controller and a flirc device. I really did like Kodibuntu, more pleasing to the eye than openelec and far more versatile for what i needed. The whole thing seems crowed somehow.
(2015-01-29, 10:17)danfloss Wrote: Spent six hours yesterday trying to pair a ps3 remote with kodibuntu. Was able to pair it but not able to hold the pair after reboot. There is quite a bit on pairing bluetooth devices with ubuntu and a thread here on Kodibuntu pairing with ps3 remote but none of it worked effectively, at least for a command line nob like me. Finally in frustration I threw the head up and installed openelec (on a temporary basis until i figure out where I'm going wrong)

I did notice that in Kodibuntu the CPU usage was 40-60% at idle, probably an easy fix but i didn't get that far. I also found that the ps3 controller when working had a distinctive lag, not pleasing at all and simply far too many buttons, I may splurge out on a new simpler controller and a flirc device. I really did like Kodibuntu, more pleasing to the eye than openelec and far more versatile for what i needed. The whole thing seems crowed somehow.

Kodibuntu isn't going to work perfectly out of the box, that's just the way it is. If you want an appliance, well that's why OpenELEC exists. I'm puzzled though by your comments of "more pleasing to the eye" and " "crowded." Kodi is nearly identical on both, with the exception of a single add-on for OpenELEC settings. The only difference is the OS under the hood, not the application itself.
Im thinking splash screen and ability to log in and out of Kodi and Ubuntu when i say 'more pleasing to the eye' you are right about the 'crowded' remark, just frustration talking
(2015-01-29, 07:53)tml2k2 Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 07:36)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 07:30)tml2k2 Wrote: i did exactly what you told so here it is
http://sprunge.us/IJQB

that log shows the system was successfully resumed by your MCE remote. Is that not what happened in this case?

no, this i just follow to what you told me to do, as i described earlier usually after it stand by for at least 15 hrs or something for it to happen, i think i have to use it util it happened again then i'll post the new one for you to check it out.

Does your remote dongle indicate it's receiving IR signals? If not, then the box is OFF -- not suspended, and the remote isn't going to work.

Are you sure you don't have XBMC/KODI configured to shut the box down after a period of time? Mine is set to SUSPEND it after 2 hours of idle -- and the remote always wakes it up...
(2015-01-29, 17:25)TonyPh12345 Wrote: Does your remote dongle indicate it's receiving IR signals? If not, then the box is OFF -- not suspended, and the remote isn't going to work.

Are you sure you don't have XBMC/KODI configured to shut the box down after a period of time? Mine is set to SUSPEND it after 2 hours of idle -- and the remote always wakes it up...

if unplugging the IR receiver wakes the box, then he's definitely in suspend, as the only way that would happen is if the port state is D3-hot, which only happens in suspend, not fully powered off. It certainly sounds like the IR receiver is being temperamental, not the box. If the box didn't wake on removal of the IR receiver, then it would point to the box being fully powered off.
(2015-01-29, 17:25)TonyPh12345 Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 07:53)tml2k2 Wrote:
(2015-01-29, 07:36)Matt Devo Wrote: that log shows the system was successfully resumed by your MCE remote. Is that not what happened in this case?

no, this i just follow to what you told me to do, as i described earlier usually after it stand by for at least 15 hrs or something for it to happen, i think i have to use it util it happened again then i'll post the new one for you to check it out.

Does your remote dongle indicate it's receiving IR signals? If not, then the box is OFF -- not suspended, and the remote isn't going to work.

nope i'm sure, i'm not a rookie on this trust me. as soon as i unplug the dongle the box wake instantly to my previous screen, on the power saving i only set it to suspend and that' it.
(2015-01-29, 19:25)tml2k2 Wrote: nope i'm sure, i'm not a rookie on this trust me. as soon as i unplug the dongle the box wake instantly to my previous screen, on the power saving i only set it to suspend and that' it.

as I mentioned above, 99% sure it's an issue with the IR receiver, not the ChromeBox/OS etc
Script update - v3.10

- changed lowest fan state from OFF to ULTRA LOW (~1900 rpm)
-- still inaudible, keeps system cooler overall, fixes Windows fan control issues (coreboot only)
- update VGA BIOS to latest Haswell/Broadwell version (1035); separate configs for ChromeBox/Book (coreboot and SeaBIOS)
- synchronized coreboot and SeaBIOS to latest upstream codebases
Hi Matt,

I've been trying to create a bootable usb for Kodibuntu. I've downloaded the 64bit. I've tried creating the usb via windows.

"This Linux is not in the compatibility list. Linux live usb creator will try to use same initial parameter as for Ubuntu 14.10..." I've tried with different 2.0 4GB usb flash drives and still nothing. I've done this before with Ubuntu and worked fine.

My chromebox is on standalone running openelec. Just that obstacle I'm having creating a bootable Kodibuntu usb.
(2015-01-30, 06:20)Matt Devo Wrote: Script update - v3.10

-- still inaudible, keeps system cooler overall, fixes Windows fan control issues (coreboot only)
- update VGA BIOS to latest Haswell/Broadwell version (1035); separate configs for ChromeBox/Book (coreboot and SeaBIOS)

is this mean you can use the chrome box with windows without issue, except the audio?
(2015-01-30, 06:49)Arse4life Wrote: Hi Matt,

I've been trying to create a bootable usb for Kodibuntu. I've downloaded the 64bit. I've tried creating the usb via windows.

"This Linux is not in the compatibility list. Linux live usb creator will try to use same initial parameter as for Ubuntu 14.10..." I've tried with different 2.0 4GB usb flash drives and still nothing. I've done this before with Ubuntu and worked fine.

My chromebox is on standalone running openelec. Just that obstacle I'm having creating a bootable Kodibuntu usb.

Use UUI (universal usb installer) - http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-u...-as-1-2-3/

Be sure to update the kernel to 3.18.4 as per the wiki post-install instructions.

(2015-01-30, 06:53)tml2k2 Wrote:
(2015-01-30, 06:20)Matt Devo Wrote: Script update - v3.10

is this mean you can use the chrome box with windows without issue, except the audio?

yes - it fixes the fan not working in Windows without the use of an application like Speedfan; the fan now works properly just like under Linux. I still don't recommend it though, esp now that there are at least 3 boxes available which have similar hardware, but "standard" UEFI firmware, so no issues running Windows.
Matt,

Thank you for the link to universal usb installer. I checked for Kodibuntu when selecting from distribution drop down list. I only see xbmcbuntu. Head scratcher for me at the moment. I'm sure I'm overlooking a minor detail. Thanks again for your help.
(2015-01-30, 07:43)Arse4life Wrote: Matt,

Thank you for the link to universal usb installer. I checked for Kodibuntu when selecting from distribution drop down list. I only see xbmcbuntu. Head scratcher for me at the moment. I'm sure I'm overlooking a minor detail. Thanks again for your help.

just choose Ubuntu, then type "*.*' in the filename box and hit enter (to show all files) and select the kodibuntu ISO
Hi One and All,
let me say great job :-)

right onto my issue, got a new chromebox, installed openelec in dual boot and setup the boot sequence to 30secs and then boot to openelec.

The issue i have i that to get to boot chromeOS one needs to [CTRL D] but normally for these type of setups you would use a wireless keypad, and it seems my mines will not send this.

What do others do here ?
im confused i WAS running dual boot ubuntu/chome but i decided just to go straight open elec chose 1 it downloaded the open elec went to install said something about out of space then finished upon reboot open elec is not there
  • 216(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37