• 218(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Amy idea why the chromebox becomes unresponsive via xbmc remote over night on my iPhone? Seems like I need to reboot via openelec ssh to get access again. Hopefully won't be an issue once I get IR sensor to control with my remote. Is the box going asleep or something - wake on lanHuh I have a vpn setup to run via autostart.sh so would like to keep that up or on wol
I appear to have bricked my ASUS Chromebox. Having installed the standalone firmware to boot successfully into Ubuntu, which worked fine, I wanted to put the Chromebox back to its original state with ChromeOS on it.

Ran the AMD64OS as stated in section 6.3 of the wiki and wrote the stock firmware back to the Chromebox, which I had backed up before doing the standalone firmware. Rebooted and I just get a black screen. Tried the recovery button, power with the Google recovery USB disk but nothing appears on the screen anymore, just the powerlight comes on with the fan. Tried to boot the AMD64OS again but nothing.

Looks like it is totally bricked. Any other options?
(2015-01-31, 10:33)pascal31 Wrote: Hello,

I have installed openelec on my HP chromebox following this tuto and it work perfectly except the remote control.

I have tested 2 devices as remote control for kodi, both run but they are not so usable, I will explain:

a) Logitech K400 (wireless keyboard/mouse)

The keyboard and the mouse run but with a lot of latency and sometime some freeze, so it is not really usable.

b) Airstick RF-12G

This is a remote controler with giroscope for mouse emulation.

The remote run, but the mouse is too sensible so it's not usable.

Do you know how to configure or to tune these devices in openelec ?

a) sounds like low batteries, I have a friend who uses a K400 without issue. For b) you need to start a separate thread in this forum, it's a general Kodi/hardware input config issue, not a ChromeBox one

(2015-01-31, 15:10)YippeeKaiay Wrote: Hi I have installed openelec standalone and I when I run the openelec setup flash drive there is an option to update bios. Do I need to run this and is this how we update any fixes you have pushed? Thanks

Absolutely not -- notice it says 'OEM only'; though I believe there's not any functionality implemented there. You don't need to update the firmware unless you're having an issue that the change log at the end of the first post specifically mentions a fix for. But if you were to, you'd use the standalone firmware updater script, also in the first post.

(2015-01-31, 16:54)xi_Slick_ix Wrote: No overnight fixes expected! I was just curious how this was progressing. I won't lie, seeing the HP Stream Mini for $20 more than this Asus hurts a bit on the inside, lol.

The HP is currently unavailable, and who knows what quirks it might have. You have by far the (IMNSHO) best supported Kodi device out there. That's gotta be worth at least as much as HDMI audio in Windows ;-)

(2015-01-31, 17:03)bolmsted Wrote: Amy idea why the chromebox becomes unresponsive via xbmc remote over night on my iPhone? Seems like I need to reboot via openelec ssh to get access again. Hopefully won't be an issue once I get IR sensor to control with my remote. Is the box going asleep or something - wake on lanHuh I have a vpn setup to run via autostart.sh so would like to keep that up or on wol

if it's only unresponsive to your phone app, it might be an issue with your phone app. Test with a kb/mouse to confirm.

(2015-01-31, 19:55)plinkyplonky Wrote: I appear to have bricked my ASUS Chromebox. Having installed the standalone firmware to boot successfully into Ubuntu, which worked fine, I wanted to put the Chromebox back to its original state with ChromeOS on it.

Ran the AMD64OS as stated in section 6.3 of the wiki and wrote the stock firmware back to the Chromebox, which I had backed up before doing the standalone firmware. Rebooted and I just get a black screen. Tried the recovery button, power with the Google recovery USB disk but nothing appears on the screen anymore, just the powerlight comes on with the fan. Tried to boot the AMD64OS again but nothing.

Looks like it is totally bricked. Any other options?

after it powers on, does pressing the power button turn it off immediately, or do you need to hold it? If the former, it is likely bricked. Shoot me a PM and we'll get it sorted
I can't put my Chromebox into developer mode. When I get to the Recovery Screen and press ctrl+D and press the recovery button to confirm, nothing happens.

It also won't perform a factory reset when I insert the recovery media via USB while on the Recovery Screen.

Does any one know why this is happening? Has anyone experienced this as well? Solutions?

EDIT: I found the problem. I'm using a Logitech K400r and this particular keyboard doesn't work in the Recovery screen or in dev mode. Sad
Hi, Matt this is the new link when i can't wake it up and i have to hard press the button on the box, this is on a brand new Asus chromebox but still have the same issue like the HP, i'm also running on your most recently firmware, can you take a look and see i anything wrong, other than that i'll probably return this dongle and buy a new one.
http://sprunge.us/GTdX
if i want to boot to open elec by default instead of default booting chrome what boot option do i select?
Hi,

I haven't updated my chromebox for a long time and i am using openelec single boot. What is the best way to update it?

Thanks!
(2015-01-31, 23:21)tml2k2 Wrote: Hi, Matt this is the new link when i can't wake it up and i have to hard press the button on the box, this is on a brand new Asus chromebox but still have the same issue like the HP, i'm also running on your most recently firmware, can you take a look and see i anything wrong, other than that i'll probably return this dongle and buy a new one.
http://sprunge.us/GTdX

sure looks like it's the IR receiver to me.

(2015-01-31, 23:36)leo5111 Wrote: if i want to boot to open elec by default instead of default booting chrome what boot option do i select?

I don't know how the boot options can be made any more clear than they are currently in the OP.

(2015-02-01, 00:26)Weeman007 Wrote: Hi,

I haven't updated my chromebox for a long time and i am using openelec single boot. What is the best way to update it?

Thanks!

update what exactly?
Well it still runs OpenELEC 4.2.1 and i can't update it in the openelec menu. It doesn't find any updates for OpenELEC 5 so it seems i must reinstall everything? Am i right?
(2015-02-01, 00:52)Weeman007 Wrote: Well it still runs OpenELEC 4.2.1 and i can't update it in the openelec menu. It doesn't find any updates for OpenELEC 5 so it seems i must reinstall everything? Am i right?

no. see: http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/153-...0-released
ok got it, what was confusing me was boot option 2 said openelec/ubuntu. i was looking for a option that said openelec/chrome meaning it boots open elec first chromebox 2nd. Tongue
(2015-01-31, 20:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-01-31, 17:03)bolmsted Wrote: Amy idea why the chromebox becomes unresponsive via xbmc remote over night on my iPhone? Seems like I need to reboot via openelec ssh to get access again. Hopefully won't be an issue once I get IR sensor to control with my remote. Is the box going asleep or something - wake on lanHuh I have a vpn setup to run via autostart.sh so would like to keep that up or on wol

if it's only unresponsive to your phone app, it might be an issue with your phone app. Test with a kb/mouse to confirm.

I am using XBMCRemote for iPhone which is labeled as the official remote. It is network based in that it connects over the http connection in kodi/xbmc to contol it on port 8080. I'm wondering if the box is going asleep and I have to do a wake on lan setting, etc? My Ortek (or perhaps it is a clone) for MCE control that I'll be programming into my Harmony that I got on Amazon should be arriving this week so hopefully that will be the solution as it will be directly connected instead of connected on the network and obviously way more convenient than this finicky touch screen app that isn't ideal.
(2015-02-01, 04:27)leo5111 Wrote: ok got it, what was confusing me was boot option 2 said openelec/ubuntu. i was looking for a option that said openelec/chrome meaning it boots open elec first chromebox 2nd. Tongue

It says that because those are the two dual boot options, the slash indicates 'or' and you're setting the default option, which requires a manual override, so there's no "2nd" choice.

(2015-02-01, 04:58)bolmsted Wrote: I am using XBMCRemote for iPhone which is labeled as the official remote. It is network based in that it connects over the http connection in kodi/xbmc to contol it on port 8080. I'm wondering if the box is going asleep and I have to do a wake on lan setting, etc? My Ortek (or perhaps it is a clone) for MCE control that I'll be programming into my Harmony that I got on Amazon should be arriving this week so hopefully that will be the solution as it will be directly connected instead of connected on the network and obviously way more convenient than this finicky touch screen app that isn't ideal.

I understand, I use two comparable apps (Yatse, Kore) on my android device, and have no issues. If you have Kodi set to go into suspend after a certain amount of time, then you would need to wake it via WOL, which works perfectly fine, but only if the ChromeBox is connected via a wired connection.
^and MAC address of Chromebox needs to be configured in the xbmcremote app.
(2015-02-01, 06:15)smnrock Wrote: ^and MAC address of Chromebox needs to be configured in the xbmcremote app.

seems to be the issue. I put the mac address in before I turned on the TV and when I turned on TV and went to control it was fine but this was just the first time of trying.
  • 218(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37