• 222(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
The Chromebox is pretty much the best solution for HD content at the moment - particularly if you have any interlaced stuff. It also does H264 4K 1080/24p without breaking sweat - though there isn't that much 4k knocking around at the moment.

The Chromebox plays every 1080p file I've thrown at it - and runs Aeon Nox fine (though I'm not a huge fan - it's a bit shouty for me) The only limitation at the moment is 1080i VC-1 stuff - though that may be solved soon I believe. It's amazing with 1080i H264 and 576i MPEG2 Live TV.

AIUI it significantly outperforms the N2820 boxes as it has a much better GPU so can upscale SD at higher quality, and also does a better deinterlace. Not sure an i3 NUC will massively improve on it.
(2015-02-04, 01:49)noggin Wrote: The Chromebox is pretty much the best solution for HD content at the moment - particularly if you have any interlaced stuff. It also does H264 4K 1080/24p without breaking sweat - though there isn't that much 4k knocking around at the moment.

The Chromebox plays every 1080p file I've thrown at it - and runs Aeon Nox fine (though I'm not a huge fan - it's a bit shouty for me) The only limitation at the moment is 1080i VC-1 stuff - though that may be solved soon I believe. It's amazing with 1080i H264 and 576i MPEG2 Live TV.

AIUI it significantly outperforms the N2820 boxes as it has a much better GPU so can upscale SD at higher quality, and also does a better deinterlace. Not sure an i3 NUC will massively improve on it.

This. the difference between the 2955U and the Core i3-4010U in the NUC, overall but esp from a Kodi standpoint, is close to negligible. I'd pay $25 more for the i3, but nowhere near twice as much ($150 vs $300)
@dazzling

With OpenELEC 5 (Helix), the Chromebox (2955U) can play H.264 encoded 4k content (HW).
And play h.265 HEVC encoded content in software, up to 1080p if correctly encoded.

update: Even Anime with 10bit 16ref frame 5.1 Flac audio (that break h264 specs) can be played in software.

ARM should work, x86 64bit will work Smile
Thanks all. I feel i'm being a little wasteful as openelec on my M8 box (Arm7) is zippy, its just no acestream support that's bugging me.

Does openelec on Chromebox definately support acestream? Does the upgrade from the M8 box to Chromebox make sense to you guys?

Finally. Anybody found a good remote (bluetooth)? I have this keyboard which uses a USB dongle http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LZPSP6A and works well with the existing box (Android or Openelec). Assume this will work? Still need a conventional remote though as its a bit annoying!

Thanks again all Smile
Hi, this script is amazing, I've been using XBMCBuntu for the past few months with 0 problems. However, when trying to update it today, it seems to have picked up the version from 2015-01-29, not the most recent one.
(2015-02-04, 02:44)kupochu Wrote: Hi, this script is amazing, I've been using XBMCBuntu for the past few months with 0 problems. However, when trying to update it today, it seems to have picked up the version from 2015-01-29, not the most recent one.
If your post is about updating xbmcbuntu (or do you mean kodibuntu?) then it is irrelevant to this thread. Please start a new one.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
@dazzling
Try the support thread for p2pstream addon.
(2015-02-04, 02:34)dazzling Wrote: Thanks all. I feel i'm being a little wasteful as openelec on my M8 box (Arm7) is zippy, its just no acestream support that's bugging me.

Does openelec on Chromebox definately support acestream? Does the upgrade from the M8 box to Chromebox make sense to you guys?

Finally. Anybody found a good remote (bluetooth)? I have this keyboard which uses a USB dongle http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LZPSP6A and works well with the existing box (Android or Openelec). Assume this will work? Still need a conventional remote though as its a bit annoying!

Thanks again all Smile

Have a feeling acestream isn't something that should be discussed here after a quick google...
(2015-02-04, 02:46)nickr Wrote:
(2015-02-04, 02:44)kupochu Wrote: Hi, this script is amazing, I've been using XBMCBuntu for the past few months with 0 problems. However, when trying to update it today, it seems to have picked up the version from 2015-01-29, not the most recent one.
If your post is about updating xbmcbuntu (or do you mean kodibuntu?) then it is irrelevant to this thread. Please start a new one.

No, I meant the Chromebox EZ Setup Script. Also yes, Kodibuntu, my bad.
Sorry wrong 'it'.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2015-02-04, 02:48)desperado77 Wrote: @dazzling
Try the support thread for p2pstream addon.

Thanks. Have spend ages looking at it. Definately dead for openelec on Arm7. Just hoping it works on x64 which guess what Chromebox is.

Anyway, see i'm not supposed to mention A*estream....sorry!
You can freely talk about acestreams in this forum, its not the appropriate thread Smile
I assume its for watching legal stuff.
(2015-02-04, 03:17)desperado77 Wrote: You can freely talk about acestreams in this forum, its not the appropriate thread Smile
I assume its for watching legal stuff.

Thanks. I understand about keeping threads topical. I am was just hoping as this thread is very Chromebox specific that one of your could just have given me an "aye, works for me" Smile
(2015-02-04, 02:34)dazzling Wrote: Thanks all. I feel i'm being a little wasteful as openelec on my M8 box (Arm7) is zippy, its just no acestream support that's bugging me.

Thanks again all Smile

the proper question is 'is acestream supported under OpenELEC x86_64' since the ChromeBox itself is irrelevant, and google says the answer is yes.

As for your remote/keyboard, there are lots of recommendations on the wiki, and the one you linked will likely work without issue, with the potential qualifications listed in the wiki surrounding the initial setup.

The script has nothing to do with updating XBMCbuntu/Kodibuntu. If you're referring to the standalone coreboot firmware, the change log in the first post tells you it was last updated on 2015-01-29, so there's no issue. The only change for today was the version of OpenELEC used for dual booting or standalone install media creation.
(2015-02-03, 23:59)naloj Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 23:32)crimper Wrote:
(2015-02-03, 04:32)BBock727 Wrote: Using an ASUS chromebox with oe standalone I am getting random video freezing where audio continues to play while playing many file formats. When that happens , my remote becomes unresponsive and I have to restart the chromebox. Anyone know of this problem? If not can you walk me through what I need to do to provide diagnostic material so you guys can help. Thanks!

Same problem. Nothing interesting in kodi logs when this happens. Hoping Openelec 5.0.1 brings more stability.

I had a total freeze w/Asus Chromebox + OpenELEC 5.0.1 about 2.5 minutes into playing a 720p mp4 video. Totally frozen; wouldn't respond to pings (ethernet).
Rebooted to see if I could reproduce and video playback was fine for 30 minutes straight.

Not sure how to debug such a thing, maybe connect a second display and direct kernel messages to it?
I'm Getting it much more frequently than you. I'll have to test a few files but with one one file I tried to play, it happened 4 times after reboot. I kept trying in the same location of the video
  • 222(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37