• 233(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I don't mean to be rude to anyone involved in OE, but the reason that I went for Kodibuntu instead of OE is that it is probably more compatible and stable in the long run.
To be frank, I've tried out OE in the past, starting from before the 0.x beta builds, and once in a while I try out a new build as well. Generally it works, but there's always *something* that doesn't. Regarding the Apple TV1 builds of OE, they were downright horrible, whereas Crystalbuntu 2 worked much much better.

Kodibuntu runs very very well on my HP Chromebox, it's just at little more time consuming to set up. And as a bonus, you get to install Google Chrome and watch Netflix.
Have tried to put open ELEC on my asus chrome box and got as far as the script part. I entered option 6 first but then realized i should of choose 5 and after i did that I rebooted and pressed ESC.....then I am stuck on a blank screen and won't reboot to anything.....any help pleaseHuh
(2015-02-10, 00:30)Soli Wrote: I don't mean to be rude to anyone involved in OE, but the reason that I went for Kodibuntu instead of OE is that it is probably more compatible and stable in the long run.
To be frank, I've tried out OE in the past, starting from before the 0.x beta builds, and once in a while I try out a new build as well. Generally it works, but there's always *something* that doesn't. Regarding the Apple TV1 builds of OE, they were downright horrible, whereas Crystalbuntu 2 worked much much better.

Kodibuntu runs very very well on my HP Chromebox, it's just at little more time consuming to set up. And as a bonus, you get to install Google Chrome and watch Netflix.

Have you got MCDI VAAPI working OK in Kodibuntu? That works really well in OE 5.0.1 on my Chromebox.

I usually have the opposite response to using non-OE builds on my Chromebox. I have one running Ubuntu and one running OE. The Ubuntu one always takes a lot longer to get HD Audio (got that whole Pulseaudio stuff to contend with) and de-interlacing in quality (MCDI is a very nice thing to have) than the Chromebox, though the Ubuntu build does have advantages when it comes to building new TV Headends, running a VPN to access a remote network etc.
(2015-02-10, 00:30)Soli Wrote: I don't mean to be rude to anyone involved in OE, but the reason that I went for Kodibuntu instead of OE is that it is probably more compatible and stable in the long run.

I used to always go for an Ubuntu based build - usually a minimal build with XBMC on top, been doing that for many years. Until last year when I used OE properly for the first time to quickly test a system, haven't looked back really. Wiped all my HTPCs with Ubuntu and put OE on them.

For me it really is the best way to get XBMC, and get it working properly quickly. OE + Chromebox is fantastic.
I am also satisfied with OE on the ChromeBox, works nicely.

The only thing I miss, is as Soli wrote. If you need some internet pages, that don`t load in Chromium. You have to use Ubuntu in the bavkground.
I have not gone there yet, but family want some TV channel pages etc, and then it is the option to go for I think.

Because for us that is not a programmer or a computer guy, we can`t make our own add-ons, and maintain them to work for this pages.

But OE is very good, if you just need Kodi, and the add-ons that is provided.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2015-02-09, 23:16)morbidz Wrote: I have the same issue and posted my log a few pages back. http://pastebin.com/R97uXCfT
Issue persists whether the file is local or on NFS

Just been through my settings with Matt on the IRC channel (thanks again by the way) and noticed that the deinterlacer was set to always on rather than auto. I've since set this to auto and so far the problem is no more. Too early to say for certain if this has solved the issue so I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. Worth checking for yourself though. If you don't know, you can access these options via the 'm' menu while playing a video file then you can save as default for all videos.
(2015-02-10, 00:34)noggin Wrote:

Have you got MCDI VAAPI working OK in Kodibuntu? That works really well in OE 5.0.1 on my Chromebox.

I usually have the opposite response to using non-OE builds on my Chromebox. I have one running Ubuntu and one running OE. The Ubuntu one always takes a lot longer to get HD Audio (got that whole Pulseaudio stuff to contend with) and de-interlacing in quality (MCDI is a very nice thing to have) than the Chromebox, though the Ubuntu build does have advantages when it comes to building new TV Headends, running a VPN to access a remote network etc.
Well as I explained in an earlier post,I installed Kodibuntu, and it does not use pulseaudio, only alsa. Havent tried MCDI but I don't see why it shouldn't work. I had to install 3.18.5 kernel manually. And also Intel Graphics. I am not sure what benefits Intel Graphics has over the standard ones, probably just newer drivers or something, but html5 video was laggy without it (in google chrome). It boots into kodi-standalone in a couple of seconds, so for all intents and purposes it's just like OE , but with the added flexibility of a stable distro as the backbone.
(2015-02-10, 01:54)pharcycle Wrote:
(2015-02-09, 23:16)morbidz Wrote: I have the same issue and posted my log a few pages back. http://pastebin.com/R97uXCfT
Issue persists whether the file is local or on NFS

Just been through my settings with Matt on the IRC channel (thanks again by the way) and noticed that the deinterlacer was set to always on rather than auto. I've since set this to auto and so far the problem is no more. Too early to say for certain if this has solved the issue so I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. Worth checking for yourself though. If you don't know, you can access these options via the 'm' menu while playing a video file then you can save as default for all videos.

thanks, mine was set to "off", i set it to "auto" but skips remain
I can't be sure if I'm dreaming but OpenElec 5.0.2 or whatever the right designation for today's release seems to have fixed the only problem I still had.

After going with just software decoding of Video everything was playing great except for my rip of The Dark Night but now that plays well too. I maybe still see like one micro stutter every 15 minutes or so but it's so sublime I can easily miss it... it's actually really great and I'm so overjoyed.

(I should look into the deinterlace setting mentioned above too... sounds interesting.)
(2015-02-09, 16:21)pcdude Wrote:
(2015-02-09, 13:09)bhampton Wrote: That "was" the proper fix and it's supposed to correct a bug that has been removed from OpenElec 5.0.

Of course,... I guess if you are running Kodi off a full Ubuntu install that's a different config. either way turning off prefer Vaapi Render is known to fix that problem.

And,... if you do the "Broadcast RGB" "Full" tweak to get the right video output then the Prefer Vaapi Rendered is supposed to be off also....

Selecting software decoding fixed the problem, but that is probably not the best solution. I'll try changing the render method tonight.

Alright, I updated the Ubuntu kernel to 3.18.4, I am using Kodi 14.1, and checked my Acceleration settings. I do not see the option for "Prefer VAAPI Rendered". My options are:

Render Method: Auto-Detect, Basic Shaders (ARB), Adv. Shaders (GLSL), Software
- Enable HQ Scalers for scalings above: 0%, etc.
Decoding Method: Hardware Accelerated, Software
Allow Hardware Acceleration (VDPAU)
Prefer VDPAU Video Mixer
Allow Hardware acceleration (VAAPI)
Reset settings to default

My settings level is "Advanced"

Can someone please tell me what settings I need? I want to play SD to 1080p videos via external SMB source, and play live HD TV via a HDhomerun tuner.
Hey Matt,

I've hit a bump on the road. I'm running linux mint and I'm trying to restore the stock firmware. I have installed chromiumOS correctly onto a 2.0 4GB usb, and also a 3.0 16GB usb stick. Once I'm in boot menu I select the correct usb stick and get stuck on the dark screen. I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks!

P.S. I just tried to install openelec off the usb stick and it stays at "booting from usb device."
(2015-02-10, 04:51)pcdude Wrote: Alright, I updated the Ubuntu kernel to 3.18.4, I am using Kodi 14.1, and checked my Acceleration settings. I do not see the option for "Prefer VAAPI Rendered". My options are:

Prefer VDPAU Video Mixer

Can someone please tell me what settings I need? I want to play SD to 1080p videos via external SMB source, and play live HD TV via a HDhomerun tuner.

change settings level to expert. Set video acceleration and playback settings to match the screenshots I just added to the wiki.

(2015-02-10, 06:23)Arse4life Wrote: Hey Matt,

I've hit a bump on the road. I'm running linux mint and I'm trying to restore the stock firmware. I have installed chromiumOS correctly onto a 2.0 4GB usb, and also a 3.0 16GB usb stick. Once I'm in boot menu I select the correct usb stick and get stuck on the dark screen. I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks!

P.S. I just tried to install openelec off the usb stick and it stays at "booting from usb device."

sounds like that USB might be problematic if 2 different OSes won't boot from it. Barring that, I'd try a different daily build of ChromiumOS, since they're not guaranteed to work every day.
(2015-02-10, 04:51)pcdude Wrote:
(2015-02-09, 16:21)pcdude Wrote:
(2015-02-09, 13:09)bhampton Wrote: That "was" the proper fix and it's supposed to correct a bug that has been removed from OpenElec 5.0.

Of course,... I guess if you are running Kodi off a full Ubuntu install that's a different config. either way turning off prefer Vaapi Render is known to fix that problem.

And,... if you do the "Broadcast RGB" "Full" tweak to get the right video output then the Prefer Vaapi Rendered is supposed to be off also....

Selecting software decoding fixed the problem, but that is probably not the best solution. I'll try changing the render method tonight.

Alright, I updated the Ubuntu kernel to 3.18.4, I am using Kodi 14.1, and checked my Acceleration settings. I do not see the option for "Prefer VAAPI Rendered". My options are:

Prefer VDPAU Video Mixer

Can you tell me how you did that? (update latest kernel) The code in the post from Fritsch does nothing.

I get an error with wget. So I put file manually in dir 3.18 then it says Sudo not necessary.

Where you fill in the code? Ssh I guess?
Matt, luckily I had an old chrome OS image from November. That worked. Thank you!
(2015-02-10, 07:52)wackid Wrote: Can you tell me how you did that? (update latest kernel) The code in the post from Fritsch does nothing.

I get an error with wget. So I put file manually in dir 3.18 then it says Sudo not necessary.

Where you fill in the code? Ssh I guess?

there's a gazillion google hits on how to update the kernel in Ubuntu, just make sure you are updating to 3.18.4 (or later, .6 is current) or 3.19.0 stable

because I'm in a generous mood, here'e one of them: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015...ntu-14-04/
  • 233(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37