• 237(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
Hmmm where should i post if i want to post a clonezilla headless ubuntu server with goodies? Big Grin

BTW @matt sometimes i need to unplug hdmi cable from my android box and plug it into the chromebox that is next to it, but then i get no signal in the chromebox. I have to reboot it for it to show image, is this intended or can it be worked out? I updated to latest coreboot firmware and still the same

Happy valentine's day!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2015-02-14, 18:42)Veronica Wrote: BTW @matt sometimes i need to unplug hdmi cable from my android box and plug it into the chromebox that is next to it, but then i get no signal in the chromebox. I have to reboot it for it to show image, is this intended or can it be worked out? I updated to latest coreboot firmware and still the same
It sounds like the HDMI handshake issue.
but my chromebox is always on and working, i never put it in suspend mode but anyways will try the solution on the wiki and report back. Thanks!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2015-02-14, 18:42)Veronica Wrote: sometimes i need to unplug hdmi cable from my android box and plug it into the chromebox that is next to it, but then i get no signal in the chromebox. I have to reboot it for it to show image

Hi Veronica

Can't help with your issue, but I don't think it's recommended to be swapping hdmi cables with the equipment on. I have read that there is a small chance that you could fry the hdmi circuits on one of the devices. I have not experienced this, but I don't want to take the chance.

Might be worth investing in a little hdmi switcher?

Ben
What you think is wrong. Hdmi was designed with hotplugging in mind. Pin19 is infact dedicated for the hotplug detection.
Is the "adjust display refresh rate to match video" setting supposed to work? I've tried both the start/stop and always settings. My tv goes black like it's switching the refresh rate, but then it always comes up at 1080p60. The video is 720p30 (verified with the codec info screen). I'm running on an Asus Chromebox running openelec 5.0.2.
Why is that the 'OpenELEC' menu under System takes forever to open or it just doesn't open? Is it timing out on some network setting or something? All of the other menus are responsive except for this section. I'm going to try reinitializing my OpenELEC install from within Kodi if it will let me get in there and rebuild as some of my plugins don't seem to be working now

I've noticed this behaviour for quite a while and I have the box wired in to Ethernet. I thought this was the case with wifi with bootup with hanging NFS mount but now it seems even these menus are hanging for some reason.

Ideas?
Post a proper Debug Log.

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Submit_a_bug_report
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2015-02-14, 18:42)Veronica Wrote: BTW @matt sometimes i need to unplug hdmi cable from my android box and plug it into the chromebox that is next to it, but then i get no signal in the chromebox. I have to reboot it for it to show image, is this intended or can it be worked out? I updated to latest coreboot firmware and still the same

works fine here w/OE 5.0.2. There's a lot of factors that can affect hot-plugging functionality - OS, drivers, display device, etc.

(2015-02-15, 04:04)Veronica Wrote: but my chromebox is always on and working, i never put it in suspend mode but anyways will try the solution on the wiki and report back. Thanks!

there's nothing in the wiki that would affect hot-plugging

(2015-02-15, 04:14)BenH Wrote: Hi Veronica

Can't help with your issue, but I don't think it's recommended to be swapping hdmi cables with the equipment on. I have read that there is a small chance that you could fry the hdmi circuits on one of the devices. I have not experienced this, but I don't want to take the chance.

Might be worth investing in a little hdmi switcher?

Ben

a HDMI switcher would be essentially doing the same thing, just automatically.

(2015-02-15, 05:17)Soli Wrote: What you think is wrong. Hdmi was designed with hotplugging in mind. Pin19 is infact dedicated for the hotplug detection.

and it works fine here, as I noted above, so something specific to Veronica's setup is causing the issue

(2015-02-15, 09:01)ToBeFrank Wrote: Is the "adjust display refresh rate to match video" setting supposed to work? I've tried both the start/stop and always settings. My tv goes black like it's switching the refresh rate, but then it always comes up at 1080p60. The video is 720p30 (verified with the codec info screen). I'm running on an Asus Chromebox running openelec 5.0.2.

yes, and it does. it would appear that your TV doesn't support 720p30. have you verified that it does via xrandr output, or by setting the UI to 720p30 to verify correct operation there?

(2015-02-15, 10:34)bolmsted Wrote: Why is that the 'OpenELEC' menu under System takes forever to open or it just doesn't open? Is it timing out on some network setting or something? All of the other menus are responsive except for this section. I'm going to try reinitializing my OpenELEC install from within Kodi if it will let me get in there and rebuild as some of my plugins don't seem to be working now

I've noticed this behaviour for quite a while and I have the box wired in to Ethernet. I thought this was the case with wifi with bootup with hanging NFS mount but now it seems even these menus are hanging for some reason.

Ideas?

sounds like you upgraded from 4.2.1 to 5.0.0. While some might not have issues, there's a reason the OE folks recommend a fresh install. I had an issue with the OE network page being blank on a box I upgraded, fortunately deleting the add-on data cleared it up. I'd recommend you try that first, and if it doesn't work, then to do a hard reset.
(2015-02-15, 09:01)ToBeFrank Wrote: Is the "adjust display refresh rate to match video" setting supposed to work? I've tried both the start/stop and always settings. My tv goes black like it's switching the refresh rate, but then it always comes up at 1080p60. The video is 720p30 (verified with the codec info screen). I'm running on an Asus Chromebox running openelec 5.0.2.

AIUI you would expect 720p30 to be output at 1080p60 even with adjust display rate to match video enabled wouldn't you? There would be no reason to output at 1080p30 (as you can output a p30 video at p60 with no refresh rate or quality loss issues)

If you play a 720p24 or 720p25 file you would expect 1080p24 or 1080p50 output though - IF your TV supports those refresh rates.
30hz isnt a standard, so good luck finding a Tv that supports this mode. 23.976/24hz wasnt a standard till pretty late in the plasma age, when the second/third gen. Blu ray players began to appear with support for 24hz. Pioneer tripped the framerate so internally it was running at 72hz, Panasonic went with 96hz in their top models. Cinemas from used to run at 48hz). This was using plasmas, lcd does not flicker so one does not need to process the vertical sync @ 3 or 4 times.

Point is, 60hz is already a standard which is integer compatible with 30hz, so there was never a need for 30hz. It would be totally and utter pointless.

Even if your display supported both 30 and 60hz, the 60hz mode would be preferable. No blanking, smoother gui when going out/in of fullscreen. So when Kodi is using 60hz with your 30fps movie, it is doing everything correctly. This type of question pops up far too frequently. If only people could think for 1 second: Hmm, I wonder what the freaking *point* of "adjust display refresh..." is....?
(2015-02-15, 11:18)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-02-15, 10:34)bolmsted Wrote: Why is that the 'OpenELEC' menu under System takes forever to open or it just doesn't open? Is it timing out on some network setting or something? All of the other menus are responsive except for this section. I'm going to try reinitializing my OpenELEC install from within Kodi if it will let me get in there and rebuild as some of my plugins don't seem to be working now

Ideas?

sounds like you upgraded from 4.2.1 to 5.0.0. While some might not have issues, there's a reason the OE folks recommend a fresh install. I had an issue with the OE network page being blank on a box I upgraded, fortunately deleting the add-on data cleared it up. I'd recommend you try that first, and if it doesn't work, then to do a hard reset.

I think I found out what the problem is but I have to further narrow it down for sure but it looks like the Watchdog addon is interfering with my OpenELEC box as the menus for System->OpenELEC were unresponsive but other menus were fine and also the plugins were not working properly.

I may have to look at plugging my NAS directly into the same router that has my OpenELEC box as far as slower performance over wifi on some of the videos but usually it has been fine so perhaps just higher bitrate stuff... but we are looking at moving possibly this year so perhaps setup at new place would be best. I didn't think that streaming typical HD content like TV or Movies over wifi N network via a WDS link would be a big deal as we are typically only about 20Mbps for HD content and Wifi N is usually 100+Mbps. I may look at positioning the 2nd router on the other side of my computer on the desk that is 25 feet away from the router for more line of site to see if the reception is better between the two?

I'll have to look into this a bit more... thoughts?

EDIT: nope no upgrade from 4.2.x to 5.0.x as I just installed Kodi 14.0 on the OpenELEC installation on an ASUS Chromebox in January Smile

Thanks for the help Matt.
(2015-02-15, 12:02)Soli Wrote: 30hz isnt a standard, so good luck finding a Tv that supports this mode. 23.976/24hz wasnt a standard till pretty late in the plasma age, when the second/third gen. Blu ray players began to appear with support for 24hz. Pioneer tripped the framerate so internally it was running at 72hz, Panasonic went with 96hz in their top models. Cinemas from used to run at 48hz). This was using plasmas, lcd does not flicker so one does not need to process the vertical sync @ 3 or 4 times.

Point is, 60hz is already a standard which is integer compatible with 30hz, so there was never a need for 30hz. It would be totally and utter pointless.

Even if your display supported both 30 and 60hz, the 60hz mode would be preferable. No blanking, smoother gui when going out/in of fullscreen. So when Kodi is using 60hz with your 30fps movie, it is doing everything correctly. This type of question pops up far too frequently. If only people could think for 1 second: Hmm, I wonder what the freaking *point* of "adjust display refresh..." is....?

2160/30p (and 2160/25p) are both standards for HDMI 1.4a (as 2160/50p and 2160/60p aren't supported on HDMI 1.x variants - though 4:2:0 2160/50p and 60p is within HDMI 1.4 bandwidths ).

720/25p, 720/29.97p, 720/30p, 1080/25p, 1080/29.97p and 1080/30p are all CEA 861 supported formats (and I believe at least one of my displays supports them and flags them via EDID) - though there is no need to use them over the 50/59.94/60p variants (unless you have bandwidth constraints)
So far a few days in I have the chromebox mostly setup how I want. Still need to get channel icons downloaded for LiveTV (via IPTV simple and HDHomerun prime) and figure out how to the the channel numbers to match what Verizon gives.

All my movies and tv shows play great and thanks for the help for the refresh rate, furii.

All I need to do is figure out if I want to switch to FLIRC for better keyboard and on/standby support with my Harmony Smart Control. Thanks everyone. Shame no Netflix though. It would be much easier on the wife if she didn't have to switch inputs for it.
(2015-02-15, 14:05)noggin Wrote:
(2015-02-15, 12:02)Soli Wrote: 30hz isnt a standard, so good luck finding a Tv that supports this mode. 23.976/24hz wasnt a standard till pretty late in the plasma age, when the second/third gen. Blu ray players began to appear with support for 24hz. Pioneer tripped the framerate so internally it was running at 72hz, Panasonic went with 96hz in their top models. Cinemas from used to run at 48hz). This was using plasmas, lcd does not flicker so one does not need to process the vertical sync @ 3 or 4 times.

2160/30p (and 2160/25p) are both standards for HDMI 1.4a (as 2160/50p and 2160/60p aren't supported on HDMI 1.x variants - though 4:2:0 2160/50p and 60p is within HDMI 1.4 bandwidths ).

720/25p, 720/29.97p, 720/30p, 1080/25p, 1080/29.97p and 1080/30p are all CEA 861 supported formats (and I believe at least one of my displays supports them and flags them via EDID) - though there is no need to use them over the 50/59.94/60p variants (unless you have bandwidth constraints)

Yeah you're right. I wasnt thinking about this new 4k thingie that is upon us. I know 30hz is a common usage for 4k in this early days when bandwidth is constrained. But ideally you'd want to use 60hz, which hdmi 2.0 has the bandwidth for.
  • 237(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37