• 317(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-06-16, 18:58)vicmack Wrote: Hi Matt, - sorry let me start again. I followed this you tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gQgSDdZuLY and used the links Lon suggested. I followed it to the letter. I did struggle to get out of the script page, I pressed "q" like it said but nothing happened so I turned the box off, however it seemed I had managed to install open elec, and when the box re booted, open elec was on the screen but it was just frozen I could not use it in any way. So I turned off the box when I tried to re boot, same thing. So I put in the chrome recovery disk and tried to start over again. I ran the recovery but it does not allow me to get to the chrome os, the screen is just blank. I just tried again and now I cant even run recovery.Do you think Ive bricked the box?

sigh, Lon's video is definitely not the right way to do things.

It sounds like the box is set to boot OpenELEC by default with a short timeout on the dev mode boot screen (which often isn't visible on TVs which are slow to change resolution/refresh rate). What you need to do is force it to boot ChromeOS by pressing [CTRL-D] right after power on, even before the video initializes (you can even hit it a few times - won't hurt).

Once you're in ChromeOS, re-run the script, and set the boot options back to the 'ChromeOS + 30s' option, then re-run the dual boot install (twice, as required for a dual boot setup). Only after the install is complete and you've tested OpenELEC should you change the boot default to OpenELEC (and/or shorten the timeout).
Thank you so much, that did the trick. I really appreciate your help and apologies for the vague description. You must have the patience of Saints.
Is there a way to dual boot windows 8 and openelec or must it only be ChromeOS and openelec? I want openelec as the default. i already used this script on another Asus Chromebox with openelec and ChromeOS sucessfully and noticed that there is no option to install a different OS. What changes would I need to make?
The i3 version of this Chromebox, M075U, is going for $229 which is the lowest Amazon price for the device. Is this bang for buck considering the price of the Celeron model and the fact that the CN62 models are around the corner? I know in Kodi use the Celeron model offers plenty, but for $70 you get better CPU/GPU and more RAM.
(2015-06-16, 23:05)cyrusalmighty Wrote: Is there a way to dual boot windows 8 and openelec or must it only be ChromeOS and openelec? I want openelec as the default. i already used this script on another Asus Chromebox with openelec and ChromeOS sucessfully and noticed that there is no option to install a different OS. What changes would I need to make?
Depends. You can easily have ChromeOS on the internal ssd and Windows (or any other OS) on an external one, but you can't have windows and ChromeOS on the internal drive due to storage constraints and the fact that Windows' boot loader won't play nicely with ChromeOS. The dual boot options offered by this script are provided because they offer the easiest way to run Kodi without booting an external drive.
Hi Matt, Im sorry its me again. The system was working great and I installed some add ons, (I have not changed any settings) and switched it off to have a break. When I put it back on again I couldn't get open elec again despite pressing control and L instead I get a boot error msg saying my computer only has 639K of low ram and needs 9k to boot, it says to hold down control before re booting but this didnt work either.I dont know what happened. It was going so well! I can get chrome if I do as you said, (CNTRL and D) but the open elec side is not working at all now.
(2015-06-16, 23:30)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 23:05)cyrusalmighty Wrote: Is there a way to dual boot windows 8 and openelec or must it only be ChromeOS and openelec? I want openelec as the default. i already used this script on another Asus Chromebox with openelec and ChromeOS sucessfully and noticed that there is no option to install a different OS. What changes would I need to make?
Depends. You can easily have ChromeOS on the internal ssd and Windows (or any other OS) on an external one, but you can't have windows and ChromeOS on the internal drive due to storage constraints and the fact that Windows' boot loader won't play nicely with ChromeOS. The dual boot options offered by this script are provided because they offer the easiest way to run Kodi without booting an external drive.
I was hoping to dual boot both from the internal SSD and get rid of chromeOS. Can you tell me if I can run Openelec to boot by default and have Ubuntu 14 as the 2nd OS?
(2015-06-16, 23:41)cyrusalmighty Wrote: I was hoping to dual boot both from the internal SSD and get rid of chromeOS. Can you tell me if I can run Openelec to boot by default and have Ubuntu 14 as the 2nd OS?

Then just install the standalone/custom firmware and install whatever 2/3/4 OSes you want, just like any other PC. That sort of setup is outside of the scope of this thread however
(2015-06-16, 03:47)alandee Wrote: Groovy, I'll give it another crack when I get home tonight with a different screen, and i'll pop an ubuntu live on a couple of different sticks. Thanks.

Quick update and a heap of thanks. I loaded up 4 different sticks last night with openelec installer, and got one of them to start and install. When it worked, it worked a charm !
So all is operational, and these little boxes are awesome at this job !

Thanks for the assist, appreciate your hard yards.

Cheers,
al.
(2015-06-16, 23:29)Tigerman82 Wrote: The i3 version of this Chromebox, M075U, is going for $229 which is the lowest Amazon price for the device. Is this bang for buck considering the price of the Celeron model and the fact that the CN62 models are around the corner? I know in Kodi use the Celeron model offers plenty, but for $70 you get better CPU/GPU and more RAM.

I own both boxes, and I'd have to say no. The Celeron version can be found around $130 or so, just add another 2GB of RAM (for dual channel) for $15-$20 and you're set.

The i3 CPU isn't going to provide any additional performance in Kodi, outside of playback of formats which aren't hardware accelerated (Hi-10P h264, HEVC), and even then it's minimal. The GPU likewise won't provide any performance benefit at all (video playback wise). If you're going to use the box for other things which will take advantage of the CPU/GPU then maybe, but even then it's hard to justify the 50% price increase ($150 vs $225) since it's certainly nowhere near 50% faster (more like 15%)
(2015-06-16, 23:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-16, 23:41)cyrusalmighty Wrote: I was hoping to dual boot both from the internal SSD and get rid of chromeOS. Can you tell me if I can run Openelec to boot by default and have Ubuntu 14 as the 2nd OS?

Then just install the standalone/custom firmware and install whatever 2/3/4 OSes you want, just like any other PC. That sort of setup is outside of the scope of this thread however
If I use your script with chromeOS and openelec as a dual boot is there any way to boot another OS from SD card or ext HDD? I know it is not supported in this thread, but is it possible from the boot menu?
(2015-06-17, 01:54)cyrusalmighty Wrote: If I use your script with chromeOS and openelec as a dual boot is there any way to boot another OS from SD card or ext HDD? I know it is not supported in this thread, but is it possible from the boot menu?

of course, you can boot any OS you want via the legacy boot payload (SeaBIOS).
I am sorry for what might be a dumb question I am the newest of new to this...ASUS ChromeBox

but I followed your instructions and ran the script, when I run it for the second time (dual boot Chrome OS + OpenELEC) i am watching my command line and when it got to the portion of "Downloading OpenELEC" it just froze up at 50%... now I see a counter on the bottom line all the way to the right and it says "ETA" and the time just keeps climbing?

any suggestions would be great?

EDIT: After 15+ mins of waiting, it looks like i connecting automatically to a mirror to complete the download....I think i just got luck, i almost just shut it down and might have possibly bricked it...lol
So like a dummy I found the Lon video, and did the same thing he did...stuck on "Booting from Hard Disk..."

but now I cant get my USB drive to work...so how can I make another copy of the recovery media?
and what do I do to correct this?
(2015-06-17, 04:22)dublbagn Wrote: So like a dummy I found the Lon video, and did the same thing he did...stuck on "Booting from Hard Disk..."

but now I cant get my USB drive to work...so how can I make another copy of the recovery media?
and what do I do to correct this?

What you mean "I can't get my USB drive to work"? You can make a copy of the recovery media from any other machine just by following the instructions/link in the wiki
  • 317(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37