• 323(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
thanks for your help! i'll look for further advice in the thread that you have linked! I has also tried with windows 8, but to no avail. Similar to the part where I plug in my usb drive, the windows 8 logo comes on, but subsequently the screen goes black. My Sony 8GB usb drive has a light that blinks when it is in use, it does not blink when the screen goes black.

Once again, thank you, and i'll post my questions to the other thread.
Can this Kodi set-up be used on a Samsung i5 Chromebox (xe300m22-A02US)?
(2015-06-28, 00:23)sammydottee Wrote: Can this Kodi set-up be used on a Samsung i5 Chromebox (xe300m22-A02US)?

Yes, but disabling the write-protect on the older Series 3 ChromeBoxes involves bridging a jumper rather than removing a screw. See: https://www.chromium.org/chromium-os/dev...ndy-bridge
Where do I find the "imageburner" file? I typed chrome://imageburner and the website is not available.
(2015-06-28, 01:49)sammydottee Wrote: Where do I find the "imageburner" file? I typed chrome://imageburner and the website is not available.
There's a link on the wiki to instructions for creating the recovery media, but it's not necessary for a standalone setup so you should skip it
I just purchased a new Dell chromebox (Tricky) and followed all the directions, including removing the write protect screw illustrated in the wiki. I successfully ran the EZ setup script and proceeded to try to run the coreboot install option #6. After selecting "y", it responds by saying that I still have the hardware write protect enabled. Any ideas as to why and how I can disable the hardware write protect?
Is ChromeOS the same as Linux?
I temporarily fixed the problem with the write protect enabled. I took a sharp knife and scraped the board where the screw would complete the circuit. It enabled me to move forward with the installation. Unfortunately, while installing the custom coreboot firmware, I got a message saying, "An error occurred flashing the coreboot firmware. DO NOT REBOOT!" I went back to the main menu and tried to run the coreboot install again, but it once again says I still have hardware write protect enabled. Anyone have any ideas what I should do now?
After reading some of the past post about using sudo crossystem to check for write protection and post #1940, I finally got it to work after scraping around and around and around the semi-circle cut part of the board that the write protect screw goes into. Hopefully this will help someone who encounters the same problem.
(2015-06-28, 05:47)sammydottee Wrote: Is ChromeOS the same as Linux?

not sure the context, but generally speaking no, even though it is a Linux-based OS.

(2015-06-28, 07:16)nolnaka Wrote: After reading some of the past post about using sudo crossystem to check for write protection and post #1940, I finally got it to work after scraping around and around and around the semi-circle cut part of the board that the write protect screw goes into. Hopefully this will help someone who encounters the same problem.

not the first time I've seen that, but ensuring there is no connectivity between the two halves of the circle is all that's required
Does this mean that I do not need to have a USB stick and I have to use the standalone setup, not the dual boot?

(2015-06-28, 01:51)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-06-28, 01:49)sammydottee Wrote: Where do I find the "imageburner" file? I typed chrome://imageburner and the website is not available.
There's a link on the wiki to instructions for creating the recovery media, but it's not necessary for a standalone setup so you should skip it
(2015-06-29, 05:14)sammydottee Wrote: Does this mean that I do not need to have a USB stick and I have to use the standalone setup, not the dual boot?

Correct, you can't dual boot with the first-gen/Samsung Chromeboxes
Do I need 3 USB sticks?
one to backup Stock Firmware/Bios
one to create OpenElec Install media
One to create Kodi Ubuntu Install media
Can the stick be in Fat32 format?
(2015-06-29, 21:09)sammydottee Wrote: Do I need 3 USB sticks?
one to backup Stock Firmware/Bios
one to create OpenElec Install media
One to create Kodi Ubuntu Install media
Can the stick be in Fat32 format?

I'm not sure why you'd need sticks for both OpenELEC and Kodibuntu, but yes, you need one (FAT32-formatted) stick for the firmware backup, and one for each OS installer (format doesn't matter as it gets reformatted).
Chromebox M004U running standalone Openelec (latest stable version) on Samsung 1080p LED suddenly stopped detecting video output. Has been working terrific for months and as of this morning, the HDMI output is detected when the device is powered on, but there is no video output anymore. TV screen says "Searching for Signals" and will no longer display anything other than that. I have another Chromebox and tried it as well and it's having the same issue. Both boxes work perfectly on different TVs.

Tried a different HDMI cable and a different HDMI port and nothing worked.Thought it could be a bad HDMI port but my laptop connected without issue. Any help would be much appreciated.
  • 323(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37