• 383(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
I've never used arch so no experience to suggest what might be the issue. I'd check various ChromeBook support forums (eg, reddit) to see if others with Haswell based systems are having issues.
I've just found a blogpost on installing arch linux on Asus Chromebox. A temporary fix for that guy is to use some ancient arch linux image to install current system. That is ehmm. embarassing but I'll be trying it tonight since I have no better plan at the moment.

Edit: February 2015 image booted like a dream. Now installing! Thanks to everyone for making this possible!
Same issues here (not on my personal setup, but one I set up for a friend). Updated to 64-6.0.98-fritsch and "working" appears during playback (about 20-25% of the time with no clear pattern). Remote and keyboard are unresponsive, but playback (minus annoying message) worked ok. Sometimes it would remain throughout playback, while other times it was 1-5 minutes. They were simply power cycling to free it up, but I found that remote control app on phone works normally. All local storage and never occurred before. I'll try the suggestion of renaming the settings next time I'm over at their place. Otherwise this has been a bulletproof setup.

(2015-12-01, 19:03)InfoJunky Wrote:
(2015-11-30, 05:23)onyx00 Wrote: pop-up that says "Working" comes up, the video keeps playing

After manually updating to the "64-6.0.98-fritsch" build suggested in the wiki, I'm experiencing a similar (maybe) issue.

About half the time when I start playing a movie, I get the small pop-up that says "Working" with the spinning circle and it freezes. The movie continues to play,
but the box becomes unresponsive from remote input and the pop-up remains for about 5 minutes.

It eventually goes away and the box becomes responsive again. The video is not affected.
(2015-12-01, 19:03)InfoJunky Wrote: After manually updating to the "64-6.0.98-fritsch" build suggested in the wiki, I'm experiencing a similar (maybe) issue.

About half the time when I start playing a movie, I get the small pop-up that says "Working" with the spinning circle and it freezes. The movie continues to play,
but the box becomes unresponsive from remote input and the pop-up remains for about 5 minutes.

It eventually goes away and the box becomes responsive again. The video is not affected.

I was experiencing the same issue, and was able to find this in the WIKI. Chromebox Wiki

On Screen Display:
Some OpenELEC 6 users have reported problems with On Screen Display elements not refreshing properly. Changing System -> Settings -> System -> Video Output -> Vertical Blank Sync -> 'Let Driver Choose' (which is the default option) will fix the problem.

I have not seen the issue after making this change. Hopefully this solves it.
More things related to my arch linux install media booting issue.
I have found out that when my TV is off I can successfully boot any arch linux image. I understand to most people here this won't be usefull but I have found this by accident. I have booted the system, blindly typed in
systemctl start sshd
and then change the root passwd.
I am blind so when I am installing the new system making sure I can get into it over SSH is the first thing I am doing so when needed I can poke around, try to fix audio related issues remotelly etc during the install.

It will be interesting to see whether I can make the installed system booting without issues with TV screen working.

Now I don't know how to make grub install here. I have found out partition sda12 already includes some grub vs syslinux hybrid configuration. Should I be tinkering with that or should I tread the whole SSD drive similar way to how I am used to do MBR like setups. By tinkering with that sda12 ESP partition is it likelly I can screw Chrome OS boot? Currently I am most afraid of breaking that so I will have to start from scratch. I do have base OS installed already I just need to find out how to make it boot.

Edit: Replacing /efi/boot/bootx64.efi on the sda12 with my own grub stub does not work. I am not experienced with this but I think there are some checks I am breaking by trying this.
Trying to install grub in the MBR like setup causes the same thing you have already discussed here. So I am trying to find out what to do next.
(2015-12-03, 22:30)pvagner Wrote: More things related to my arch linux install media booting issue.
I have found out that when my TV is off I can successfully boot any arch linux image. I understand to most people here this won't be usefull but I have found this by accident. I have booted the system, blindly typed in
systemctl start sshd
and then change the root passwd.
I am blind so when I am installing the new system making sure I can get into it over SSH is the first thing I am doing so when needed I can poke around, try to fix audio related issues remotelly etc during the install.

It will be interesting to see whether I can make the installed system booting without issues with TV screen working.

Now I don't know how to make grub install here. I have found out partition sda12 already includes some grub vs syslinux hybrid configuration. Should I be tinkering with that or should I tread the whole SSD drive similar way to how I am used to do MBR like setups. By tinkering with that sda12 ESP partition is it likelly I can screw Chrome OS boot? Currently I am most afraid of breaking that so I will have to start from scratch. I do have base OS installed already I just need to find out how to make it boot.

Edit: Replacing /efi/boot/bootx64.efi on the sda12 with my own grub stub does not work. I am not experienced with this but I think there are some checks I am breaking by trying this.
Trying to install grub in the MBR like setup causes the same thing you have already discussed here. So I am trying to find out what to do next.

like I said, this really isn't the best place to get help with this issue. The vast majority of people here dual booting are running OpenELEC, and the rest Ubuntu. The Chromebook crowd is much more diverse when it comes to dual booting, which I why I'd recommend those forums. For grub though, the instructions listed in the first post hold true: install it to /dev/sda, but don't overwrite the MBR.
I am new to this, however after a lot of searching and reading, I'm still a bit confused.

What is the difference between openelec and kodi? To start, I followed the wiki and used the script update to the custom firmware, as well as to install openelec 6.098 on the 16gb ssd as a standalone. So openelec 6 has kodi 15.2 embedded in it? How do I update to kodi 16 nightly builds? All the searching I did mentions about updating openelec (which includes kodi?), but not kodi separately.

Lastly, the chromebox is an android x86 machine? Just asking to identify which nightly build is compatible with my chromebox on openelec.

thanks!
(2015-12-03, 23:32)Matt Devo Wrote: like I said, this really isn't the best place to get help with this issue. The vast majority of people here dual booting are running OpenELEC, and the rest Ubuntu. The Chromebook crowd is much more diverse when it comes to dual booting, which I why I'd recommend those forums. For grub though, the instructions listed in the first post hold true: install it to /dev/sda, but don't overwrite the MBR.

Okay, I have figured it out. I have created grub boot partition as explained here and then did an MBR like grub setup.
The system is booting fine even while the TV is connected.
I can't hear the sound plus I need to install kodi, mate, accessibility related apps I need.
I think I will figure it all out in a while as I keep tinkering with it.
Can I post my updates? Or should I rather stop now if it's likelly I won't get more help here as you have just stated?
(2015-12-03, 23:40)jasheeky Wrote: I am new to this, however after a lot of searching and reading, I'm still a bit confused.

What is the difference between openelec and kodi? To start, I followed the wiki and used the script update to the custom firmware, as well as to install openelec 6.098 on the 16gb ssd as a standalone. So openelec 6 has kodi 15.2 embedded in it? How do I update to kodi 16 nightly builds? All the searching I did mentions about updating openelec (which includes kodi?), but not kodi separately.

Lastly, the chromebox is an android x86 machine? Just asking to identify which nightly build is compatible with my chromebox on openelec.

thanks!

OpenELEC = minimal x86_64 Linux OS to run Kodi - has nothing to do with Android. To run the Kodi 16 nighly builds, just perform a manual update of OpenELEC. I'd recommend the updated Intel-EGL builds from fritsch, that's what I run
(2015-12-03, 23:54)pvagner Wrote: Okay, I have figured it out. I have created grub boot partition as explained here and then did an MBR like grub setup.
The system is booting fine even while the TV is connected.
I can't hear the sound plus I need to install kodi, mate, accessibility related apps I need.
I think I will figure it all out in a while as I keep tinkering with it.
Can I post my updates? Or should I rather stop now if it's likelly I won't get more help here as you have just stated?

there's already a thread dedicated to running Arch on the Chromebox, albeit in standalone (vs dual boot) mode. If you want to post there once you have everything figured out, I'll link to your post from the OP/wiki for others who might be interested.
(2015-12-04, 00:02)Matt Devo Wrote: OpenELEC = minimal x86_64 Linux OS to run Kodi - has nothing to do with Android. To run the Kodi 16 nighly builds, just perform a manual update of OpenELEC. I'd recommend the updated Intel-EGL builds from fritsch, that's what I run

In the OpenELEC settings menu About section, it says:

Version 6.098-fritsch
Architecture: Generic.x86_64

So it looks like I'm already on latest operating system, however it says in the system info that I'm still on Kodi 15.2 Git:02e7013 (Compiled: Nov 11 2015)
I can't find the instructions on how to update to Kodi 16.
1.) Do I do it from my home computer?
2.) Do I need to add a repository directly from Chromebox in OpenElec to update to Kodi 16 alpha?

Sorry I need so much guidance Confused
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_OpenELEC

It's simple, download the .tar file you want to use & transfer it to your OE box from your PC.
(2015-12-04, 01:31)Karnis Wrote: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Updating_OpenELEC

It's simple, download the .tar file you want to use & transfer it to your OE box from your PC.

The link you provided above is for updating OpenELEC, don't I already have the latest version (6.098-fritsch) ? This link above doesn't mention anything about Kodi 16.

If I go to the Development builds: Kodi v16.0 “Jarvis” beta section in http://kodi.tv/download/ it asks me which version I want... I don't know which section to go to for chromebox

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238393

These contain the latest builds for Intel Hardware. I use build 1119 on my Chromebox. Based on Kodi 16 Jarvis.

Personally, I wouldn't go any higher than that until they sort out some passthru/AV sync issues. Select the generic build.
(2015-12-04, 01:51)jasheeky Wrote: The link you provided above is for updating OpenELEC, don't I already have the latest version (6.098-fritsch) ? This link above doesn't mention anything about Kodi 16.

again, you can't update Kodi separately from OpenELEC - you have to download OpenELEC development builds which contain Kodi v16. You won't find those on the Kodi or OpenELEC website, since they aren't intended for wide use.

Currently, there are two sets of dev builds available for testing. See: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 and http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=238393. I'm using fritsch's builds.
  • 383(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37