• 391(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2015-12-23, 22:46)Matt Devo Wrote: are you sure you didn't flash the standalone firmware at some point? If powering on the box with the recovery button pressed (via paperclip) doesn't bring you to the recovery screen, then you have the standalone firmware installed. But again, not sure what you're trying to do exactly, other than update for the sake of having the latest
Nope, I have a dual boot setup and I've used the Update Legacy BIOS option.

And yes, "update to have the latest version" Big Grin

By the way, would it be possible to have the Chromebox power button put the device into standby mode if pushed just once?
(2015-12-25, 21:34)Boulder Wrote: Nope, I have a dual boot setup and I've used the Update Legacy BIOS option.

And yes, "update to have the latest version" Big Grin

By the way, would it be possible to have the Chromebox power button put the device into standby mode if pushed just once?

well, if you've set the default boot to be OpenELEC / legacy boot, then hitting CTRL-D on the developer mode boot screen is the only way to boot ChromeOS (and run the script to update the legacy BIOS).

The function of the power button is OS-dependent/controlled.
I am running Openelec 6 on two different Chrome boxes and when I play play ripped BluRay movies I am noticing what I can only describe as a split second flash of pixelation during darker scenes. This occurs about every 5-10 seconds while theres a darker scene on the screen. Both boxes will do it at the exact same point but my windows desktop running Kodi Isrengard never does it on the same scenes from the same movies. In fact it never does it at all. Anybody ever experience this?
Is the video encoded with VC-1? If so, you could try disabling hardware accelerated decoding of VC-1.
i did the standalone steps correctly but after rebooting and putting a ubuntu image on a usb from - https://www.distroshare.com/distros/get/72/. it just puts to this:

SeaBIOS (version rel-1.9.0-12gab2ea1a-20151220-MattDevo)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
MASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux...Parsing ELF... Performing relocations...done
Booting the kernel.

i try pressing ESC but nothing happens. Anyone know what to do? i want to run ubuntu on my hp chromebox CB1-014
(2015-12-26, 23:28)dudephatal Wrote: i did the standalone steps correctly but after rebooting and putting a ubuntu image on a usb from - https://www.distroshare.com/distros/get/72/. it just puts to this:

SeaBIOS (version rel-1.9.0-12gab2ea1a-20151220-MattDevo)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
MASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux...Parsing ELF... Performing relocations...done
Booting the kernel.

i try pressing ESC but nothing happens. Anyone know what to do? i want to run ubuntu on my hp chromebox CB1-014

everyone who's read the wiki knows what to do, since the solution is listed there Smile
(2015-12-26, 22:02)Boulder Wrote: Is the video encoded with VC-1? If so, you could try disabling hardware accelerated decoding of VC-1.

I never payed attention, but the one video I know that did it, turns out is VC-1. I turned off hardware acceleration for VC-1 like you suggested and it's not there in the scene I remember seeing it. I don't have the time to check more right now but it looks like it's fixed. Thanks! What causes the chromebox to do that while my Windows desktop is fine with that enabled?
(2015-12-20, 21:06)dnko Wrote: this might be a simple question but i'd appreciate your help.
I picked up an ASUS Chromebox last week. The celerion cn60 and started to the the standalone install.
i got the:
'Press ESC for boot menu'
and pressed ESC but no joy.

so i finally found another keyboard that activates when the Chromebox is turned on but now i have nothing on the display - a black screen.
i take out the usb disk and same thing.
tried multiple thumb drives with same response.
I'm using a HDMI to VGA adapter and wondering if that could be the problem.
was thinking of getting a displayport to vga and try again.

your thoughts please.
I was having the exact same problem (black screen after installing openelec for the first time) although I had no keyboard problems. Rebooted the device several times to no avail. Finally unplugged the hdmi from the back of my device and plugged it back in and bingo! Problem solved! Smile
(2015-12-27, 04:11)RockDawg Wrote: I never payed attention, but the one video I know that did it, turns out is VC-1. I turned off hardware acceleration for VC-1 like you suggested and it's not there in the scene I remember seeing it. I don't have the time to check more right now but it looks like it's fixed. Thanks! What causes the chromebox to do that while my Windows desktop is fine with that enabled?

an Intel Linux video driver bug
HELP!! I am an EXTREME newbie here.. I was trying to set up kodi on my husband's chromebox and I messed up. I did not reset to factory before going through the process and now the box doesn't work. I have tried resetting to factory since, and still nothing. The chromebox is stuck on a loop of "press esc for boot..." then flashes to a white page with the chrome logo in the middle and then back to the "press esc" screen... 0
(2015-12-27, 17:52)lisat3 Wrote: HELP!! I am an EXTREME newbie here.. I was trying to set up kodi on my husband's chromebox and I messed up. I did not reset to factory before going through the process and now the box doesn't work. I have tried resetting to factory since, and still nothing. The chromebox is stuck on a loop of "press esc for boot..." then flashes to a white page with the chrome logo in the middle and then back to the "press esc" screen... 0

power off. power on, then hit CTRL-D until it boots ChromeOS. Open a terminal, run the script, and reset the boot options to the factory default using the option from the menu. After that, re-run the dual boot setup as per the instructions in the first post.
Long time user of this fantastic Chromebox. Been using OpenElec PlexHT

But I was just checking in to this forum and saw the new Vaapi support OpenElec Kodi Fritsch build. Old news here I'm sure, but I was intrigued.

I like OpenElec Plex HT for its seemless compatibility with my Plex server. However it does have a few drawbacks:

(a) Slow as heck FF / RW
(b) Cannot power off to sleep / reboot from remote. Requires physical power on.
© No real-time subtitle download support
(d) Brutally slow x265 decode ,stutter and audio sync issue.

How does the new Fritsch build handle x265 with the VAAPi intel optimization?
Hello Matt,

Is it possible to keep the chromebox alive (without disabling auto suspend) as long as it is serving a file to a different client via smb.

As it is, if the suspend time comes and you are watching something from a second client, it will still go to sleep.

This is in addition to no apparent hard drive spindown on sleep. I am testing a possible solution for the spindown problem now. The suspend has me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
(2015-12-29, 05:59)jsp1 Wrote: Hello Matt,

Is it possible to keep the chromebox alive (without disabling auto suspend) as long as it is serving a file to a different client via smb.

As it is, if the suspend time comes and you are watching something from a second client, it will still go to sleep.

This is in addition to no apparent hard drive spindown on sleep. I am testing a possible solution for the spindown problem now. The suspend has me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sounds like an OS or Kodi issue, not really Chromebox specific. I'd start a new thread in the Linux support forum.
I'm running dual boot with ChromeOS and OE 6.0 Generic on ASUS Celeron. Every few days, I notice things start to get choppy on OE. CPU usage is very high, 90%+ when no video is playing. When reading the wiki, it mentions disabling the TPM (tpm_tis.force=1 tpm_tis.interrupts=0). Does this apply for my case or is it only for a constant high cpu usage at idle? Just wondering if I should start with modifying boot params, go to EGL-build, or something else? If I need to disable TPM, what's the best way to do that? Thanks.
  • 391(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37