• 394(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-01-05, 18:10)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-01-05, 17:15)ilovethakush Wrote: Hey Matt, just wondering. Are you running 6.0.98 on your chromebox or a test build, and if it's a test build, the latest one? or which one? I know you said you're running a fritsch build...

Also, do you usually watch interlaced or progressive content?

6.0.98 on my main box, mostly 24p content, mysql library on NAS. Haven't seen a compelling reason to potentially destabilize a perfectly working system with a test version Smile

dev boxes have whatever I'm testing at the time. I have a full suite of test files, all resolutions, codecs, interlaced/progressive, etc.

Looks like we're in the same boat. I'm running 6.0.98 too and have mostly 24p videos, some 25 and 30. I tested dozens of test builds, both Milhouse and fritsch, ended up deciding to just run 6.0.98 cause it just works. Only thing I can complain about is the damn noise that comes from my 2.1 speakers (same noise as an amp) everytime I power on or wake from sleep. Can't even use the reboot option or it becomes deafening in my room lol. But that's always been the same with every OpenELEC. I was just curious what you're running for peace of mind, to make sure there's nothing better.

Also, considering 100% of my content is progressive, and not interlaced. Is there any point to even having Deinterlace video set to Auto, can't I just turn it off? Or is that not a good idea? Currently I have it set to Auto/Auto, not Auto/VAAPI MC.
For progressive content, deinterlacing settings don't come into play at all unless set to forced on (vs auto)
I just noticed that the default linux install is now GalliumOS. Is there a benefit to this over Ubuntu? Can you still install retroarch? There wasn't much I could find about this operating system.
(2016-01-06, 00:04)Luketyson7 Wrote: I just noticed that the default linux install is now GalliumOS. Is there a benefit to this over Ubuntu? Can you still install retroarch? There wasn't much I could find about this operating system.

it's a Ubuntu derivative that's optimized for Haswell/Broadwell ChromeOS devices. You can do anything on it that you can do on Ubuntu.
Thanks for the quick reply. So I'm assuming the terminal commands are all the same? Also if I'm running Ubuntu 15.04 currently, can I upgrade to 15.10 with software updater or is there something in the script to upgrade?
Yep, all the same. The script is only for initial installation, upgrades are handled however the OS handles updates
(2016-01-04, 18:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 14:23)sh33p Wrote: @matt Devo, as i didnt get any answer in the EGL thread, maybe i can find my answer here, does anyone have the kswapd0 bug as well(high cpu usage)? im running 6.0.98 EGL version by fritsch, im running it on asus cbox (haswell 2955u).

(2016-01-04, 18:18)jwegman Wrote:
(2016-01-04, 14:23)sh33p Wrote: @matt Devo, as i didnt get any answer in the EGL thread, maybe i can find my answer here, does anyone have the kswapd0 bug as well(high cpu usage)? im running 6.0.98 EGL version by fritsch, im running it on asus cbox (haswell 2955u).

FYI; I had experienced the issue prior to upgrading RAM from 2GB to 4GB (Asus Chromebox). This is running Matt's FW with a plain Ubu 15.10 instance (no EGL-VAAPI build stuff).

no issues here on a stock 2GB Dell box, running 6.0.98. Perhaps an addon is causing the issue?

actually it is happens after working with specific add on, thing is that previously i was using lubuntu with the EGL stuff, using same add on never caused this issue
(2016-01-06, 08:59)sh33p Wrote: actually it is happens after working with specific add on, thing is that previously i was using lubuntu with the EGL stuff, using same add on never caused this issue

that tells me it's an add-on issue, and I'm guessing since you referred to it generically it's not one that can be discussed here, in which case there's not much I can do to help.
(2014-05-07, 19:48)Matt Devo Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------------------
Version history
------------------------------------------------------------------

2016-01-03
------------------------------------------------------------------
- Update coreboot to latest upstream commit
- fix slow boot with standalone firmware (introduced in 12/20 firmware)
- replace old ChrUbuntu dual boot code with chrx
- make GalliumOS the default Ubuntu variant
- misc fixes/improvements

Thanks Matt, the 01/03 update really improved my bootup time in standalone mode. I had no idea there was a problem because the 12/20 firmware was the first one I ever used. Smile
Hey Matt, I received my Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (CAC-1070) today and thought I'd give an update. I'm running a dual-boot ChromeOS and OE 6.0 Generic Build setup. I tried connecting the new adapter from DP1 of the ASUS Chromebox to a 4 ft High Speed HDMI cable purchased recently (I don't have any HDMI cables that claim to pump 18+ Gig/sec). I was only able to get 30Hz at 3840x2160. As soon as I chose 60Hz, the screen would flicker and have a green line at the top until it reverted back to the previous setting. This was only possible with Samsung UHD Color setting set to ON (I have a Samsung UN65JU6500). With that setting off, I could only choose 30Hz at that resolution. I also tried setting the TV input to "PC mode" to see if that helped, no change. I then tried two additional High Speed HDMI cables that I have from different vendors with no difference. Based on the reviews for the mini-displayport adapter like this one (CAC-1170) on Amazon, I see very similar results. I can try the fritsch 6.0.98 build if you think it will help anything. I also plan to try another HDMI cable that I've ordered which claims to handle this bandwidth (even though HDMI 2.0 doesn't change the cable specs). Let me know if you have any ideas or have anything you'd like me to try, I'd be happy to give it a shot.
(2016-01-08, 03:16)wongnog Wrote: Thanks Matt, the 01/03 update really improved my bootup time in standalone mode. I had no idea there was a problem because the 12/20 firmware was the first one I ever used. Smile

yeah the 12/20 firmware basically doubled the boot time with OE from 5 to 10s; 01/03 puts it back to where it was before

(2016-01-08, 05:59)giant25 Wrote: Hey Matt, I received my Club3D Displayport 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Adapter (CAC-1070) today and thought I'd give an update. I'm running a dual-boot ChromeOS and OE 6.0 Generic Build setup. I tried connecting the new adapter from DP1 of the ASUS Chromebox to a 4 ft High Speed HDMI cable purchased recently (I don't have any HDMI cables that claim to pump 18+ Gig/sec). I was only able to get 30Hz at 3840x2160. As soon as I chose 60Hz, the screen would flicker and have a green line at the top until it reverted back to the previous setting. This was only possible with Samsung UHD Color setting set to ON (I have a Samsung UN65JU6500). With that setting off, I could only choose 30Hz at that resolution. I also tried setting the TV input to "PC mode" to see if that helped, no change. I then tried two additional High Speed HDMI cables that I have from different vendors with no difference. Based on the reviews for the mini-displayport adapter like this one (CAC-1170) on Amazon, I see very similar results. I can try the fritsch 6.0.98 build if you think it will help anything. I also plan to try another HDMI cable that I've ordered which claims to handle this bandwidth (even though HDMI 2.0 doesn't change the cable specs). Let me know if you have any ideas or have anything you'd like me to try, I'd be happy to give it a shot.

that's disappointing to hear, mine arrives tomorrow and will be testing it on a friend's Vizio 4K set. Maybe it will have better luck there. It's also possible that Intel's Linux drivers are borked for 4K/60Hz output so I'll be testing Windows as well.
Is anyone using Kodi 16 beta on the chromebox? I grabbed a beta 3 build from Fritschs thread, PQ seems slightly improved, but stability is not great.
(2016-01-08, 11:20)tredman Wrote: Is anyone using Kodi 16 beta on the chromebox? I grabbed a beta 3 build from Fritschs thread, PQ seems slightly improved, but stability is not great.
Software support/issues, esp running beta versions, is best handled in those threads in the software subforums. This thread is really only for the initial setup / script / firmware issues
(2016-01-08, 11:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-01-08, 11:20)tredman Wrote: Is anyone using Kodi 16 beta on the chromebox? I grabbed a beta 3 build from Fritschs thread, PQ seems slightly improved, but stability is not great.
Software support/issues, esp running beta versions, is best handled in those threads in the software subforums. This thread is really only for the initial setup / script / firmware issues

ok, np - was just wondering if anyone had any general experience. aplgs
Hi Matt, can I just check the text below is "normal" when updating the firmware?

Code:
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
Performing operation on 'COREBOOT' region...
E: 'bootorder' already in ROM image.
E: Failed while operating on 'COREBOOT' region!
E: The image will be left unmodified.
  • 394(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37