• 423(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-03-25, 20:16)tate16t Wrote: Matt, for an initial install should I follow the steps at the start of this thread or the Wiki?
They're complementary - the OP specifies the steps needed for each type of install, the details of which are listed in the OP (for script functions) and the wiki (for hardware and post-install steps)
(2016-03-25, 20:16)tate16t Wrote: Matt, for an initial install should I follow the steps at the start of this thread or the Wiki?
They're complementary - the OP specifies the steps needed for each type of install, the details of which are listed in the OP (for script functions) and the wiki (for hardware and post-install steps)
Keep getting this screen when i try to turn off and my chromebox wont turn off. Can you take a look Matt... couldnt upload picture so here is a dropbox link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/srojtxmsv36xzq...m.jpg?dl=0 sorry wrong link

This one https://www.dropbox.com/s/3h5k2anxjiz9cx...d.jpg?dl=0
(2016-03-25, 20:58)Neil123 Wrote: Keep getting this screen when i try to turn off and my chromebox wont turn off. Can you take a look Matt... couldnt upload picture so here is a dropbox link

Well, that's not from a stock install, so it's likely from a skin or addon that you've loaded.
(2016-03-25, 20:19)Matt Devo Wrote:

Thanks. Can you confirm my understanding.

I would do this:

For a standalone setup, you will need to perform the following steps:

Open the ChromeBox and remove the write-protect screw
Put the ChromeBox in developer mode
Download/run the EZ setup script
Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one
Create install media for desired OS. Script includes option to create install media for OpenELEC and Kodibuntu
Power off ChromeBox
Connect/plug-in USB install media
Power on ChromeBox, Press [ESC] from boot menu, select USB device
Install OpenELEC, Kodibuntu, or your OS of choice

I would than follow the steps listed beneath:

-------------------------------------------
Using the Kodi EZ Setup Script

(Step 7)

Lastly, check your recommended settings, 3.4 Recommended Settings via the wiki page.
(2016-03-25, 22:25)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 20:58)Neil123 Wrote: Keep getting this screen when i try to turn off and my chromebox wont turn off. Can you take a look Matt... couldnt upload picture so here is a dropbox link

Well, that's not from a stock install, so it's likely from a skin or addon that you've loaded.

Yeah i switched skin to Aeon Nox 5 is it that which is the problem
(2016-03-25, 22:49)tate16t Wrote: Thanks. Can you confirm my understanding.

I would do this:

Select the Standalone / coreboot Install option, which will backup your stock firmware/BIOS and flash a custom one
Create install media for desired OS. Script includes option to create install media for OpenELEC and Kodibuntu
Power off ChromeBox

(Step 7)

Lastly, check your recommended settings, 3.4 Recommended Settings via the wiki page.

correct. You only need to follow the steps beneath 'using the EZ setup Script' which are applicable to your setup, so flashing the firmware and creating the install media.

(2016-03-25, 22:50)Neil123 Wrote: Yeah i switched skin to Aeon Nox 5 is it that which is the problem

maybe, switch back to confluence and see. Best place for support in this case is the Aeon Nox subforum, since it's unlikely to be hardware specific.
Thanks will take a look there. One more question about the HDMI handshake issue. If i used a port display to hdmi cable for video direct to the tv and a hdmi to avr for audio would this eliminate the problem?
(2016-03-25, 22:59)Neil123 Wrote: Thanks will take a look there. One more question about the HDMI handshake issue. If i used a port display to hdmi cable for video direct to the tv and a hdmi to avr for audio would this eliminate the problem?

highly unlikely - trying to split the audio and video that way is likely to be problematic. I had one customer who wanted to do it that way, since he had a 4K display but his AVR wasn't 4K capable, and ultimately we were not able to get it working.
(2016-03-25, 22:53)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-03-25, 22:49)tate16t Wrote: Thanks. Can you confirm my understanding.

I would do this:

Power off ChromeBox

(Step 7)

correct. You only need to follow the steps beneath 'using the EZ setup Script' which are applicable to your setup, so flashing the firmware and creating the install media.

Oh yes I left Step 6 out.

Thanks Matt
Matt,

I completed the setup successfully without any problems.

Thank you so much for all your help!
Hello, I'm having full system hang issue, to be precise this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051 . It only happens on Linux eather while in desktop, watching videos in browser or Kodi ALWAYS since I got the box brand new and already told Matt but he just use OpenElec so he can't test.

So I need help to troubleshoot this, if Windows doesn't hang but Linux does can't be my hardware the culprit.

What I need is info of anyone that is using full Ubuntu based distros (not server, no Kodibuntu) and has watched a lot of YouTube, Netflix, etc in browser , use Kodi and has been running for long time (months) without system freezes or any issue at all in a Celeron Asus Chromebox.

Please PM me:
- Ubuntu version
- Kernel version
- What browser
- If installation of 3th party software (e.g: Intel drivers) was done

That's all. Thank you in advance. It's been very frustrating since I got this box and if you check the link above you'll see a lot of people having the same issue for about 2 years now and Intel is aware of it but seems they don't care so we rely on workarounds for now, unfortunately none has worked for me.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-03-26, 04:10)Veronica Wrote: Hello, I'm having full system hang issue, to be precise this: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=109051 . It only happens on Linux eather while in desktop, watching videos in browser or Kodi ALWAYS since I got the box brand new and already told Matt but he just use OpenElec so he can't test.

from what I understand, that bug only affects Baytrail devices, not Haswell. While I don't usually run Ubuntu etc, I have multiple test boxes here ATM, just tell me how to reproduce.

Quote:Please post:
- Ubuntu version
- Kernel version
- What browser
- If installation of 3rd party software (e.g: Intel drivers) was done

you start please Smile Kernel versions earlier than 3.19 all have various bugs which can cause hangs/lockups; anything 3.20 or 4.x should be good.
Well right now I'm running GalliumOS as I told you. It comes with kernel 4.1.14 by default.

Well, mostly baytrail but there is even a skylake report and as I've read is hard to log full system hangs to troubleshoot, that's why devs can't find what's causing it as of yet.

I am experiencing that bug and that's what I could find on the web.
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-03-26, 04:24)Veronica Wrote: Well right now I'm running GalliumOS as I told you. It comes with kernel 4.1.14 by default.

Well, mostly baytrail but there is even a skylake report and as I've read is hard to log full system hangs to troubleshoot, that's why devs can't find what's causing it as of yet.

I am experiencing that bug and that's what I could find on the web.

does adding the kernel parameter listed in that bug report have any effect for you?
  • 423(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37