• 466(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-09-14, 08:00)McButton Wrote: Hey, I'm having the below issue again. I actually removed the 2.0 hub assuming that was causing the attached hard drive to fail. It worked, and there is no issue. However, since it was needed previously, isn't it likely to start up again?
My question, has there been any form of update to remedy this yet or any better solution? I'd just pull from my NAS, but the wifi doesn't reach well nor can I plug in.

Suggestions?

unfortunately not - I haven't seen anything to indicate this is an issue with the Chromebox hardware or firmware, more likely an incompatibility somewhere between the firmware on the external HDD controller and the Chromebox (which is quite hard to debug)

(2016-09-14, 08:06)McButton Wrote: 2nd point: I've been fighting the Chromebox "no audio on restore" issue for a year.
I applied the patch that MattDevo suggested at the time, but it never took hold. On my old TV, it was never an issue. The new TV must register the HDMI ports differently when it idles or something.

That said, is there a new, cool update or fix for this issue now?
Rather than just leave the box ON all the time, I'd rather just use "suspend" and hit a button to restore it from sleep.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

There are 3 workarounds/fixes to this issue:
  1. Use a suspend/resume script to disable the audio on sleep and re-enable on wake
  2. leave the Chromebox on all the time
  3. use the suspend/resume script to reboot the Chromebox on wake

(2016-09-14, 18:20)RayTrace77 Wrote: Somewhat in relation to McButton's post, if my Chromebox is on before any of my other equipment then I got no video out, extremely fustrating problem, currently trying to deal with an issue where the Chromebox is randomly turning on by itself, I think it's the PS3 BD remote(old one) which I recently connected to the Chromebox via Bluetooth, seems to be that after 30 mins or so, if I lift the PS3 remote it auto turns the Chromebox on(resumes it from suspended state)

Any ideas ?, been trying for days now to find a fix but nothing seems to work.

the kernel log (dmesg) will tell you what's causing the wakeup event. Try disconnecting the PS3 remote temporarily and see if the issue continues.
Thanks for the response Matt, much appreciated, will check it out as soon as it turns back on, it's random so I have to wait, will post back with what I find.
Leave it on, they use bugger all power.

Or extract your EDID and set your chromebox to use the extracted EDID.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yeah that's what I did earlier today, I followed the guide in the link below to set a custom xorg.conf which used an extracted edid but that made no difference, still no video out, I just resumed it from sleep now(while my other equipment was already on) and it STILL didn't send in video through, I extracted all the logs and have uploaded them to the link below, if anyone can take a look, I looked through all of the dmesg logs but couldn't tell which message shows how it was turned on.

custom xorg link:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config...#tab=Intel

my kodi logs:
https://dropfile.to/i5IbRzO
So I did some more testing, my setup is as below:

ChromeBox > LG System > TV

It seems to be an issue with the LG System, connecting the Chromebox directly to the TV and restarting 6-7 times and suspending/resuming seemed fine, only when going through the LG System does the no video issue kick in, if the Chromebox is on BEFORE the LG System is on then most of the time there is nothing I can do to get the Chromebox to output video, not even reboots, not even using xrandr to send output to HDMI1, only a power off on the Chromebox and back on brings video back, there has been 1 or 2 times where in this situation using xrandr has working in bringing video back, but it's 50/50 wether it works or not.

I reverted back to OpenELEC 5.0.8 which seemed to be a bit more stable, as long the LG System was on before the Chromebox, rebooting and resuming seemed to go ok, I'm at a complete and utter loss here, it's so intermittent and I've been trawling through the logs to try and identify what is going on but can't find anything that would explain it, then there's the issue of it randomly turning itself on, it did it 2 times, in the link below is the logs for when it did it, would anyone be able to tell me what turned the Chromebox on in the logs below ?

https://dropfile.to/JoVjScV
(2016-09-14, 23:44)RayTrace77 Wrote: Yeah that's what I did earlier today, I followed the guide in the link below to set a custom xorg.conf which used an extracted edid but that made no difference, still no video out, I just resumed it from sleep now(while my other equipment was already on) and it STILL didn't send in video through, I extracted all the logs and have uploaded them to the link below, if anyone can take a look, I looked through all of the dmesg logs but couldn't tell which message shows how it was turned on.

custom xorg link:
http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Config...#tab=Intel

my kodi logs:
https://dropfile.to/i5IbRzO

(2016-09-15, 01:50)RayTrace77 Wrote: So I did some more testing, my setup is as below:

ChromeBox > LG System > TV

It seems to be an issue with the LG System, connecting the Chromebox directly to the TV and restarting 6-7 times and suspending/resuming seemed fine, only when going through the LG System does the no video issue kick in, if the Chromebox is on BEFORE the LG System is on then most of the time there is nothing I can do to get the Chromebox to output video, not even reboots, not even using xrandr to send output to HDMI1, only a power off on the Chromebox and back on brings video back, there has been 1 or 2 times where in this situation using xrandr has working in bringing video back, but it's 50/50 wether it works or not.

I reverted back to OpenELEC 5.0.8 which seemed to be a bit more stable, as long the LG System was on before the Chromebox, rebooting and resuming seemed to go ok, I'm at a complete and utter loss here, it's so intermittent and I've been trawling through the logs to try and identify what is going on but can't find anything that would explain it, then there's the issue of it randomly turning itself on, it did it 2 times, in the link below is the logs for when it did it, would anyone be able to tell me what turned the Chromebox on in the logs below ?

https://dropfile.to/JoVjScV

these logs tell me:

- you're still running the stock firmware -- is this a dual boot setup?
- you didn't implement the EDID loading as described in the link; the xorg file isn't what you need, the EDID is
- the PS3 DB remote woke the system from sleep

the custom EDID will likely address the issues caused by the LG system and the newer Intel drivers
Hey Matt,

I did this a long time ago but yes I think it is a dual boot setup, it's set to load OpenELEC first through so I can just power on and about 5 seconds later Kodi is loaded.

Ok so after I followed that Xorg guide and it didn't work I reverted back to how it was before, that's why there's no xorg.conf file being used, what did you mean when you said the xorg file isn't what I need ?, originally I followed the guide and placed the Intel template based xorg file in /storage/.config/ and then the rest of the guide was about extracting the edid data and editing the boot parameter file.

The first post of logs I made is when I woke it up, it wouldn't output any video, the post I just did with the link "https://dropfile.to/JoVjScV" is the one with the logs where it randomly turns on, is it still the PS3 remote that woke it up ?

Also which log/line told you it was the PS3 remote that woke it up ?
I'll trying starting from scratch and switching to a standalone setup tomorrow.
(2016-09-15, 02:12)RayTrace77 Wrote: Hey Matt,

I did this a long time ago but yes I think it is a dual boot setup, it's set to load OpenELEC first through so I can just power on and about 5 seconds later Kodi is loaded.

Ok so after I followed that Xorg guide and it didn't work I reverted back to how it was before, that's why there's no xorg.conf file being used, what did you mean when you said the xorg file isn't what I need ?, originally I followed the guide and placed the Intel template based xorg file in /storage/.config/ and then the rest of the guide was about extracting the edid data and editing the boot parameter file.

The first post of logs I made is when I woke it up, it wouldn't output any video, the post I just did with the link "https://dropfile.to/JoVjScV" is the one with the logs where it randomly turns on, is it still the PS3 remote that woke it up ?

Also which log/line told you it was the PS3 remote that woke it up ?

You don't need a custom xorg.conf - that's if you need a resolution that the driver isn't reporting is available for some reason.

Your problem is that when the Chromebox is powering on and/or waking from suspend*, that the LG System isn't providing the EDID data for itself and your TV, so the Chromebox thinks there isn't anything connected. So, you need to capture the EDID data from your setup when working, then inject that data at boot so that it "remembers" what devices are connected even when the LG system misbehaves. You do that by following the custom EDID section at the bottom of the page on that link.

* suspend/resume don't usually work properly with the stock ChromeOS firmware, and isn't supported (by me). YMMV

The dmesg log from https://dropfile.to/JoVjScV tells me they were taken from a cold power on, not a suspend/resume.
The dmesg log from https://dropfile.to/i5IbRzO tells me the PS3 remote was connected around 17 mins after boot, but doesn't appear to have ever been suspended (maybe just screen blanked)
Ah I see now, ok, I will start again from scratch on this Chromebox with a single boot LibreELEC install, depending on how that goes I will also try the EDID mod after that. The dmesg log from https://dropfile.to/JoVjScV is from a suspended/resumed state, it's odd that it looks like a cold boot, I know for a fact it was in a suspended state, 2-3 seconds after I put it in a suspend state(from the gui), it woke itself up.
Thanks for the help though, much appreciated, will post tomorrow how it went.
(2016-09-15, 02:41)RayTrace77 Wrote: Ah I see now, ok, I will start again from scratch on this Chromebox with a single boot LibreELEC install

good deal, be sure to install the firmware update first, then do a fresh install of LE (I'd use 7.90.005, then update to Milhouse's latest nightly)
Ok, in quite a bit of a problem now, I looked around and could not find anywhere on how to actually change from dual boot to single, or set the ChromeOS + 30s back, so I used a Google Recovery Utility and it did it's restore, now the Developer Mode screen shows up, 2 seconds later it starts SeaBIOS and says Decompressing Kernel, then it's just a blank screen, if I press Ctrl+D at the Developer Screen it tries to boot ChromeOS but says "the owner has disabled developer mode on this device" which I don't understand, at the SeaBIOS screen when I try to press ESC to get to a boot menu it does not work for some reason, not sure where to go from here
Ok, got out of that rather bad situation, coreboot firmware flashed and running LibreELEC 7.90.005 now,will post a guide shortly on what I did incase anyone else has this issue in the future.
I have an odd problem, in case anyone has seen it before.

Just factory reset my Chromebox and set it all back up. Works perfectly on every 1080p TV I have. I move it to my 4k tv and nothing at all - black screen, no sound nada.

I planned to use it on 1080p mode via HDMI. Any ideas how I can get something up on the screen at all?
@tredman,

Can you SSH into your box while it's on and use xrandr to query the current display status ?, you can do something like:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --off
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080 <--1080p just to see if it shows up on the 4k tv
  • 466(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37