• 468(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2016-09-17, 21:35)Matt Devo Wrote: As for the MAC, I'm not sure why you feel the need to replace it, since the default is just as valid as the unique one that came with the device. OR where you have your original MAC that you want to use as the replacement.
I have static IP binding in the router and WOL applications on several devices that can wake up the Chromebox.
I can review that all, of course. But there was a reason why different MACs for different devices were invented.
Previous versions of the update script preserved MAC and device ID.
Now the box turned from Dell 3010 into Asus CN60 (as firmware-util.sh says) and has an alien MAC a0:00:ba:d0:0b:ad
I've turned it back into Dell with firmware-util.sh, but I'd like to return the original MAC also. It's known, of course.
(2016-09-17, 22:08)bbsc Wrote: I have static IP binding in the router and WOL applications on several devices that can wake up the Chromebox.
Previous versions of the update script preserved MAC and device ID.
Now the box turned from Dell 3010 into Asus CN60 (as firmware-util.sh says) and has an alien MAC a0:00:ba:d0:0b:ad
I've turned it back into Dell with firmware-util.sh, but I'd like to return the original MAC also. It's known, of course.

wait, are you saying that you installed/updated the firmware and it didn't preserve the MAC address? That definitely shouldn't happen, and I haven't heard of anyone having issues with it in years (literally).

As for re-injecting your original MAC, honestly the easiest way will be for you to msg me with the MAC and I'll provide you a firmware file to flash.
(2016-09-17, 22:16)Matt Devo Wrote: wait, are you saying that you installed/updated the firmware and it didn't preserve the MAC address?

Exactly.
I liked new thermal thresholds and decided to update firmware.
All operations were done under live Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, fresh-booted.
kodi-setup.sh was used.
It claimed "VPD not found", but the update was successful and everything worked without problems.
I've also made boot-menu-wait shorter via cbfstool and reflashed the rom manually. Don't see any problem here, because there's nothing more in the /tmp to flash Smile besides the rom-file.

My original MAC is B8:2A:72:EC:C1:49. It's Dell 3010 Chromebox.
I'd be happy if you can help me to restore the MAC.
Rom-file will be enough, I'm able to use flashrom -w command.

Thank you in advance.
(2016-09-17, 22:47)bbsc Wrote: Exactly.
I liked new thermal thresholds and decided to update firmware.
All operations were done under live Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, fresh-booted.
kodi-setup.sh was used.
It claimed "VPD not found", but the update was successful and everything worked without problems.
I've also made boot-menu-wait shorter via cbfstool and reflashed the rom manually. Don't see any problem here, because there's nothing more in the /tmp to flash Smile besides the rom-file.

My original MAC is B8:2A:72:EC:C1:49. It's Dell 3010 Chromebox.
I'd be happy if you can help me to restore the MAC.
Rom-file will be enough, I'm able to use flashrom -w command.

Thank you in advance.

sent you a PM with the link. Also tweaked the fan temps for you a bit, but if you don't like them you can always reflash using the script
@matt Devo
Thank you very much, now it works as it should. The MAC is restored.
Special thanks for the thermal thresholds, I'll test it for some period of time and let you know the result.
Hey Matt,

Thanks for taking a look, I'll try it without the BD remote for a while to see and post back, there was one other thing that completely slipped my mind in that long post I made, the post that bbsc made above reminded me, when I flashed the coreboot firmware it changed the MAC address of the ethernet interface as well, don't know why but it's not a big issue for me, I have a linux box running isc-dhcp which assigns leases based on mac so I just updated the isc-dhcp config file to reflect the new mac address.
(2016-09-18, 00:19)RayTrace77 Wrote: Hey Matt,

Thanks for taking a look, I'll try it without the BD remote for a while to see and post back, there was one other thing that completely slipped my mind in that long post I made, the post that bbsc made above reminded me, when I flashed the coreboot firmware it changed the MAC address of the ethernet interface as well, don't know why but it's not a big issue for me, I have a linux box running isc-dhcp which assigns leases based on mac so I just updated the isc-dhcp config file to reflect the new mac address.

ugh, a few days ago I updated the util which is used to extract the VPD and it exposed a previously latent bug in my script. And because I didn't give the user the option to back out (I do now), it plowed straight on ahead. Issue is fixed now, hopefully not too many people were impacted in the interim.
@matt Devo
Thank you for your efforts. Is firmware-util.sh fixed too?

Tried to use UEFI version but cannot install Windows. The system won't boot from USB.
Tried several USB sticks and several options in Rufus when creating Win 10 installation USB.

Is there any trick or it's better to wait for a while for a stable version of UEFI bios?
(2016-09-18, 10:18)bbsc Wrote: @matt Devo
Thank you for your efforts. Is firmware-util.sh fixed too?

Tried to use UEFI version but cannot install Windows. The system won't boot from USB.
Tried several USB sticks and several options in Rufus when creating Win 10 installation USB.

Is there any trick or it's better to wait for a while for a stable version of UEFI bios?

they're essentially one in the same, which script you run just affects the menu shown.

Installing Windows under the UEFI firmware works fine here. I use Rufus to create the media, select the ISO, then choose the 'GPT for UEFI' partition layout option. Power on with the USB inserted and it will auto boot
Hi Matt:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do not want to fix video playback at 60 Hz, I want it to playback at its native refresh rate. The problem is since Kodi detects my display supports 120 Hz, it plays back everything at 120 Hz, regardless of what I set the GUI resolution to....hence the need to remove 120 Hz from the modeline. Thanks!
(2016-09-18, 10:27)Matt Devo Wrote: they're essentially one in the same, which script you run just affects the menu shown.
Ok, now the MAC is preserved.
But Dell 3010 still becomes Asus CN60 (as firmware-util.sh says).
I.e. firmware-util.sh shows "Dell" before update and "Asus" after.

Is that important?
(2016-09-18, 12:08)bbsc Wrote: Ok, now the MAC is preserved.
But Dell 3010 still becomes Asus CN60 (as firmware-util.sh says).
I.e. firmware-util.sh shows "Dell" before update and "Asus" after.

Is that important?
no, all the Haswell Chromeboxes use the same custom firmware, which happens to use the Asus' board name
(2016-09-18, 11:35)Karnis Wrote: Hi Matt:
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I do not want to fix video playback at 60 Hz, I want it to playback at its native refresh rate. The problem is since Kodi detects my display supports 120 Hz, it plays back everything at 120 Hz, regardless of what I set the GUI resolution to....hence the need to remove 120 Hz from the modeline. Thanks!
since it's a general LE/Linux issue, would be best to post in Linux/live support forum or on LE's forums. I don't know how to blacklist a mode offhand, though I'd think 120Hz would be optimal being a perfect multiple of 24, 30, and 60.
Well, installing Windows with UEFI firmware really works well.
My problem was that I hoped to install x86 version. This won't work because of x64 EFI, I guess.
(2016-09-18, 19:28)bbsc Wrote: Well, installing Windows with UEFI firmware really works well.
My problem was that I hoped to install x86 version. This won't work because of x64 EFI, I guess.
that's not something I've tested, but suspect you may be correct
Hey guys, I have a question regarding reinstalling Kodi on my Chromebox.
It's been a while since I used it and I cant remember the log in info for Kodi or terminal. What way I can completely start from scratch and wipe the whole thing?
  • 468(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37