• 513(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
No you do not have to reflash.

Exactly what file did you place in the update directory?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-10-21, 03:01)nickr Wrote: No you do not have to reflash.

Exactly what file did you place in the update directory?

I placed the file found at: https://libreelec.tv/downloads/

LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-8.0.2.img.gz (info)

I placed the TAR file as is (did not unzip) into the Update folder of the Chromebox.

I accessed it via Windows Explorer using the box's LAN IP and I did verify that it's sitting there by remoting in via Putty and going into /.update

When I reboot it the box it shows a DOS-like screen for half a second (it seems to say "booting from hard disk") and then Openelec starts again.

Oh wait. That's the img.gz file I placed. Let me try to put the TAR one below.
Wow okay that worked. I guess I did the first step in a hurry a placed the img.gz file. Downloading and placing the TAR file worked perfectly!
Openelec can only be updated via tar files, LibreELEC can use tar or img.gz - but the first OE-->LE upgrade needs to use the tar file. From now on you can use either.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I have a Asus N60 Chrome Box and I am still running the original single boot OpenElec  to Kodi.
What steps are needed to convert back to original Chrome Box? I do not have a backup.
I'm sorry if this has already been asked. Please keep in mind that I am 80 years old.
(2017-11-02, 01:42)waltb Wrote: I have a Asus N60 Chrome Box and I am still running the original single boot OpenElec  to Kodi.
What steps are needed to convert back to original Chrome Box? I do not have a backup.
I'm sorry if this has already been asked. Please keep in mind that I am 80 years old.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Chromebox#Resetting_to_Stock
Thanks Matt!!!
Hi there, I’m wondering if someone can help me.

I’ve followed the steps to do a single boot instance of librelec on my ASUS CN60 chromebox, however when rebooting after installing the new firmware, instead of booting the usb to install libreelec, it just powers on without any video.

At first I thought it was an issue I’ve read here around the resolution, so I dug out an old monitor and the problem was still there. I’ve also noticed the the caps lock light on my keyboard will not toggle and so I’m wondering if this is now bricked.

I backed up the stock firmware during the install process, but this is kinda useless without actually being able to get the thing to boot anything.

I was hoping someone had some ideas for me to try.

Thanks
(2017-11-06, 23:35)johnnyspice Wrote: Hi there, I’m wondering if someone can help me.

I’ve followed the steps to do a single boot instance of librelec on my ASUS CN60 chromebox, however when rebooting after installing the new firmware, instead of booting the usb to install libreelec, it just powers on without any video.

At first I thought it was an issue I’ve read here around the resolution, so I dug out an old monitor and the problem was still there. I’ve also noticed the the caps lock light on my keyboard will not toggle and so I’m wondering if this is now bricked.

I backed up the stock firmware during the install process, but this is kinda useless without actually being able to get the thing to boot anything.

I was hoping someone had some ideas for me to try.

Thanks

sounds like you might have had a bad flash somehow - assume removing power for 1 min or so and reconnecting doesn't help? When powered on, does the power button immediately turn the device off, or do you have to hold it down for a few seconds?
Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Leaving the box powered off and reconnecting after a while doesn’t seem to have any effect.

I have discovered that you do need to hold the power button for a few seconds to power off.

Any ideas?

Thanks
(2017-11-07, 19:40)johnnyspice Wrote: Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Leaving the box powered off and reconnecting after a while doesn’t seem to have any effect.

I have discovered that you do need to hold the power button for a few seconds to power off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

needing to hold the power button a few seconds highly suggests that the box isn't bricked (since if it failed to reach the bootloader, it would power off immediately), just that there's an issue with the video output / HDMI handshaking etc. Have you tried a different display or cable?
I’ve tried a new monitor, complete with a hdmi to dvi cable and I’ve also tried another tv with a different hdmi cable.

I find it interesting that the num lock or caps lock light in my usb keyboard no longer illuminate. Would improper hdmi handshaking cause this as well?
(2017-11-07, 22:03)johnnyspice Wrote: I’ve tried a new monitor, complete with a hdmi to dvi cable and I’ve also tried another tv with a different hdmi cable.

I find it interesting that the num lock or caps lock light in my usb keyboard no longer illuminate. Would improper hdmi handshaking cause this as well?

I'd say that's due to it not booting an OS - I'm not sure I'd expect them to work pre-boot.

unfortunately I don't have any more ideas ATM, but shoot me an email at mrchromebox at gmail and we can go from there
Hi,
I've installed ubuntu from a USB onto my hp chromebox but each time I boot up it gives me 4 options: try without installing, install, manufacturer and check disc for defects.
How can I boot up the installed version?
Thanks
Anton
(2017-11-11, 21:06)antonmarks Wrote: Hi,
I've installed ubuntu from a USB onto my hp chromebox but each time I boot up it gives me 4 options: try without installing, install, manufacturer and check disc for defects.
How can I boot up the installed version?
Thanks
Anton
Try to disconnect Ubuntu installation media Wink
  • 513(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37