• 542(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2019-11-26, 09:46)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-11-26, 02:53)mxlance Wrote: @matt Devo,
please pardon the lame question.
Do you think a HP Chromebox CB1-014 would make a decent low budget media server?
I thought I would run Gallium OS and Emby Server with NFS Shares, that would be it.

I currently run LibreElec and Kodi on it.
My currant Zero budget server is on its last leg.
So i thought i would use the Chromebox as a server and pick up a new Raspberry Pi 4 as a replacement client.

I am grateful for any insight you may have to offer.

I would probably run something like OpenMediaVault, but don't see a problem unless you're connecting multiple external drives (since limited by USB3 bandwidth) or expecting Emby to do heavy transcoding. I'd also go with the N2 over the pi4   

@Matt Devo - Thank You for the reply. You have given me much to think about. I will not bug you here with all my questions, rather i will post a new thread in hardware.
thank you again.
I've tried searching for this issue, so apologies if it's a repeat, but unlike my Asus CB M004U, the power button my new Asus CN65 CB does not turn the device off if held for a few seconds if Kodi locks up.  Is this a setting I can change?  Thx in advance.
(2019-12-04, 22:19)jasn Wrote: I've tried searching for this issue, so apologies if it's a repeat, but unlike my Asus CB M004U, the power button my new Asus CN65 CB does not turn the device off if held for a few seconds if Kodi locks up.  Is this a setting I can change?  Thx in advance.

it does here. Might be closer to 10s for the CN65 vs 5s for the CN60/62.
(2019-12-05, 18:54)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-12-04, 22:19)jasn Wrote: I've tried searching for this issue, so apologies if it's a repeat, but unlike my Asus CB M004U, the power button my new Asus CN65 CB does not turn the device off if held for a few seconds if Kodi locks up.  Is this a setting I can change?  Thx in advance.

it does here. Might be closer to 10s for the CN65 vs 5s for the CN60/62. 
Ah...patience then...  Smile

Thank you Matt.
Hello Matt, 

I'm having an issue with my ChromeBox.
I recently bought a TCL 43' 4k for my bedroom and when trying to use the ChromeBox there, I get no signal on any of the 3 HDMI inputs.
I took the box down to the living room (1080p Kuro Plasma) and it works there.
LibreElec is installed on the ChromeBox if that helps to know.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get Smile
Box 1: ODroid N2+ 4GB
Box 2: Intel NUC D34010WYK (Windows afedchin's Krypton MVC Build)
Box 3: Vero 4K
RIP schimi2k | I miss you buddy :(
(2019-12-05, 23:06)ArieS Wrote: Hello Matt, 

I recently bought a TCL 43' 4k for my bedroom and when trying to use the ChromeBox there, I get no signal on any of the 3 HDMI inputs.

* which Chromebox?
* what firmware type and version?
* what version of LibreELEC?
(2019-12-05, 23:23)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-12-05, 23:06)ArieS Wrote: Hello Matt, 

* which Chromebox?
* what firmware type and version?
* what version of LibreELEC? 
Matt, 
- Intel Celeron 2955U
- Version rel-1.10.0-6-g3f40bbd
- LibreELEC Version 8.0.2
(2019-12-06, 00:50)ArieS Wrote: Matt, 
- Intel Celeron 2955U

backup existing LE config
boot Linux USB
flash latest UEFI firmware
install LE 9.x clean
restore backup
(2019-12-06, 02:04)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2019-12-06, 00:50)ArieS Wrote: Matt, 
- Intel Celeron 2955U

backup existing LE config
boot Linux USB
flash latest UEFI firmware
install LE 9.x clean
restore backup 

I will need to look up your wiki for all that as I bought this box already running your dual boot.

May I ask why it is working on my old TV but not on my new one, though?
(2019-12-06, 11:06)ArieS Wrote: I will need to look up your wiki for all that as I bought this box already running your dual boot.

May I ask why it is working on my old TV but not on my new one, though? 

because the display init method used by the stock firmware / used for dual boot has compatibility issues with 4K displays. The box itself is only capable of 30Hz output at 4K, so running it at 1080p60 is better anyway in most cases.
Ahh thanks Matt, 
Sorry but after looking all over your E-Z Setup, I cannot figure out how to do:

- boot Linux USB
- flash latest UEFI firmware
(2019-12-06, 20:46)ArieS Wrote: Ahh thanks Matt, 
Sorry but after looking all over your E-Z Setup, I cannot figure out how to do:

- boot Linux USB
- flash latest UEFI firmware

well, since you're dual booting ChromeOS, you can just flash the firmware from there using the EZ Setup Script. But flashing the UEFI firmware will remove the ability to dual boot ChromeOS. So you have to choose between better compatibility with better firmware and dual booting
Hi Matt, 

I've been using your script on a Chromebox M075U (i3-4010U processor) for many years now and I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for your work and being able to make this box my favorite workhorse. 

I am looking to upgrade my current 1080P TV to a 4K HDR and so was also looking at the newer Chromebox 3 N018U (i3, 4K UHD Graphics). 

Is this box supported by your script? I didn't see it in the OP. I love my current box so much it's only natural to want to stick with the 4K model. Do you recommend it or am I better off sticking with the Amlogic chips I see everyone raving about on the Hardware thread? 
Will I encounter any limitations on the Chromebox 3 when throwing different formats and codecs of 4K content? Money is not an option... I just want to make sure my next box plays anything I throw at it (for the exception of 3D). 

Thanks for your time and excuse my ignorance on this topic.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
(2019-12-12, 18:21)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: Hi Matt, 

I've been using your script on a Chromebox M075U (i3-4010U processor) for many years now and I absolutely LOVE it! Thanks for your work and being able to make this box my favorite workhorse. 

I am looking to upgrade my current 1080P TV to a 4K HDR and so was also looking at the newer Chromebox 3 N018U (i3, 4K UHD Graphics). 

Is this box supported by your script? I didn't see it in the OP. I love my current box so much it's only natural to want to stick with the 4K model. Do you recommend it or am I better off sticking with the Amlogic chips I see everyone raving about on the Hardware thread? 
Will I encounter any limitations on the Chromebox 3 when throwing different formats and codecs of 4K content? Money is not an option... I just want to make sure my next box plays anything I throw at it (for the exception of 3D). 

Thanks for your time and excuse my ignorance on this topic.

Please disregard. I see the Chromebox Wiki has been updated which answered all my questions.
4GB ODROID N2 64GB eMMC, Asus i3 Chromebox 128GB, Nvidia Shield TV Pro, Wetek Hub, AFTV
CoreELEC Nightly, LibreELEC 9.2, Kodi 20.2 
LG 65" OLED C9 and Integra DRX 3.4 w/ Dirac Live Atmos 5.1.2
(2019-12-12, 19:08)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: Please disregard. I see the Chromebox Wiki has been updated which answered all my questions. 

I'd highly recommend the Odroid N2 over any Chromebox for 4K/HEVC/HDR use. The current-gen Chromeboxes are poor choices for Kodi devices, due to lack of features and high price
  • 542(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37