XBMC and ubuntu running in separate sessions
I have a linux box with Ubuntu 14.04 running with Mythtv backend and xbmc frontend. I have mythtv frontend installed (but not running) to control my pvr features. I have my system setup to autologin to xbmc. I have it to autostart x11vnc in display :0.

I wanted to know if it's possible to have xbmc in one session (tty7) and ubuntu in another session (tty8). I want to be able to vnc into the xbmc session with display :0 and vnc into the ubuntu session with display :1. Anyone have anything running like this?

Here is my lightdm.conf in my attempt to do this but it doesn't work. I just go the login to xbmc and vnc into that session.

Code:
[LightDM]
seats=Seat:0 Seat:1

[SeatDefaults]
autologin-guest=false
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=XBMC
#xserver-allow-tcp=true
autologin-user-timeout=0

[Seat:0]
autologin-user=htpc
user-session=XBMC
greeter-hide-users=true
autologin-session=XBMC-autologin
#allow-guest=false
display-setup-script=x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :0 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever -alwaysshared -bg -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5900

[Seat:1]
user-session=ubuntu
autologin-session=ubuntu-autologin
autologin-user=htpc
greeter-session=unity-greeter
display-setup-script=x11vnc -xkb -noxrecord -noxfixes -noxdamage -display :1 -auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:0 -forever -alwaysshared -bg -rfbauth /etc/x11vnc.pass -rfbport 5901
vt=8
You can definitely run a desktop in the background while xbmc runs in the console.
How that relates to what you have done above I don't know.

It was a long time since I tried it with VNC but I didnt do anything with the display manager. You don't need the dm to start a new session.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and ubuntu running in separate sessions0