Backing up everything!
Hi,

I have read through most of the wiki stuff regarding backing up database and user folders etc. One thing was not clear though and wanted to confirm.

I have 12.3 installed and running exactly the way i want it; skins, add-ons, playlists etc.
Normally, if it aint broke, dont mess with it. However with 13.1 out, i am itching to try it out.
I have manually copied and backed up the XBMC folder in Program Files (x86) as well as the user roaming XBMC folder.

If I try out 13.1 and am not satisfied, can i uninstall it, clean out the XBMC locations, reinstall 12.3 and put my backed up files back to where they should be and be back at my starting point as if nothing changed?
Am I missing backing up anything else, manually or within XBMC?

Thanks.
You don't need to backup the program files folder, that's just the install. Unless you've changed stuff in there, which isn't generally recommended. All the settings you've made, etc are stored in %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\, and as long as you back that up you will be ok.

I had to uninstall 13.0 and go back to 12.3 so I could export my library, and then reinstall 13. All my media is on the network drive and Gotham changed the way it is referenced. I blew it all away and started from scratch and had no problem.

You can also try out Gotham in portable mode, which might suit your test needs.

Good luck.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
The best way to switch between iterations & versions is to just rename the program folder to XBMC-Frodo and the same for the roaming folder.... no loss. Install Gotham... as new, try it out, scrape local if needed, the only thing that might be a hiccup is the add-ons that haven't updated to Gotham yet. If you like what you see, keep it, or delete is just a matter of renaming.

A full install over Frodo with Gotham should be pretty painless, not to worry.
thank you both. will give it a go. dont have too many add-ons and did wait for 13.1 to be out first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Backing up everything!0