Moving from Windows 7 to XBMCbuntu
I am contemplating moving from Windows 7 to XBMCbuntu in an effort to correct audio sync issues I am experiencing during 24p playback in Windows. However, my decision to change may hinge on the ability to import my current library and settings.

I have spent hours tweaking a customized version of Aeon Nox 5 and have many artwork preferences that are preserved in the XBMC folder in Windows. This is a new PC, and previously, updating was simply a matter of moving the entire XBMC folder from my laptop to the new HTPC, as the file paths remained unchanged. I am wondering how much of this customization can be preserved if I was to move to XBMCbuntu?

Also, does anyone know if it is even worthwhile to attempt to correct a graphics card issue in Windows by moving to XBMCbuntu? I know the graphics card is the culprit causing the audio sync issues because the original card was fine in this respect but had trouble rendering the menu without dropping frames, so I changed it to a Nvidia GTS 450. The menu renders without issue, but the audio is slightly out-of-sync.
If your video file paths are the same then you can simply copy over the xbmc folder (parent to the userdata folder (wiki)), regardless of OS. You might want to double check some of the system settings to make sure they are correct for the different hardware, but it should be mostly painless.
nVidia has great support under linux.

You could painlessly try openelec from a usb stick before committing to the change. Actually you could painlessly try xbmcbuntu from a usb stick before committing to change.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ironically, I went the other way and dropped XBMCBuntu and installed Windows 7 because I just couldn't put up with Linux and it's eccentricities anymore and I have better things to do with my weekends than spending hours trying to do simple things like upgrade a video card driver.

If you are trying to resolve a hardware / driver level issue then I seriously doubt that going FROM Windows to Linux is going to solve anything.

But as nickr already pointed out, you can experiment using a flash drive without committing anyway, so you should probably do that and see for yourself.

I'm not a fanboy and I have nothing against Linux per se, my unRAID NAS is Linux based and I love that thing, but I just find Linux as a desktop O/S to be more trouble than it's worth and Windows just works in my environment and everything is easy in Windows.
You shouldn't have any issues going from one system to the other re; Library. You may be able to copy it like another poster recommended; I generally just export out and back in via the Settings in XBMC.

If you have a really powerful HTPC, you may feel like you're missing out. I have a Raspberry Pi and a couple of Atom PCs from a few years back (3? 4? who cares). Those run great, but I can't do things a more powerful Windows HTPC could do - which is fine for me; I don't play many PC games and have 1,000,000 other ways of getting Netflix.

Not sure where I'm going with this - you didn't ask for *my* setup Smile I think others have mentioned XBMCbuntu *does* rely a LOT on Linux knowledge (at least I found that to be true a year or so ago). I used it for a while, but any time I wanted to upgrade or fix things, I ran into more issues. It was fun for me, I love trying to solve problems (and there were a LOT of problems) - my wife did NOT like it quite as much because, in her words, things seemed to change every day.

I'd try Openelec on a Thumb Drive first, as someone else mentioned. I use that and it's easy enough to configure 99% of things from the main system settings and the Openelec "Program" / Plug In. The other 1% I can navigate via Windows to the devices via Windows Browser, no need to telnet in or any of that other stuff. If you're really good at Linux, this may be frustrating (it was for me at first).

Good luck!
You can adjust the audio sync by getting the audio OSD up when a video is playing.

I switched all my kit to Linux about a year ago, because I became fed up with microsoft updating their OS to patch stupid security holes that shouldn't have been there in the first place. ****Windows is installing updates***** Grrrr, just want to use it NOW !!!!

Anyway, like nickr said, nVidia support is good, the XBMCbuntu installer does everything you need to get a working system, and you really don't need to 'get under the hood' at all if you don't want to. Benefits of XBMCbuntu over OpenELEC is that it has a full blown desktop environment should you require it, whereas OE just runs XBMC.

As nickr pointed out, you can try out both of these from a USB stick, without installing anything, so you can see if they do what you require before 'taking the plunge'.

I have to say though, I do not regret ditching windows. Linux is faster and much more stable on the same hardware than windows was. I have one laptop that dual boots win7 and Ubuntu. Can't even remember when I last booted it to 7 !!
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I have had no real issues with my windows machines mine are running Windows 8.1 and work just fine i do however have one Openelec box for a family member who just wants to watch content i run windows on mine because i also like to surf the net and other stuff that requires a desktop GUI but for straight up appliance type of turn on and start watching Openelec is fantastic for this

My personal opinion on Linux is it is great for single tasked things like media player or file serving or web hosting but for combining several things at once and general functionality i prefer the simplicity and ease of a windows OS

People give Windows 8 and 8.1 a bad reputation and tbh i was one of them in the beginning until i started using it (granted just in desktop mode will never like the start screen stuff) and i must say I never to rarely ever get any crashes the only time i had BSOD was because of some AMD Beta Drivers but being Beta was most likely the cause so uninstalled them and back to being rock solid i run the computer for weeks at a time and no issues

I have had good stability with both the Windows 8.1 setup and the Openelec all fed through Cat6 from my Windows Server (Also stable and great) so all round pretty happy with my mixed OS environment Smile
I gave Ubuntu a try but was unable to correct the audio sync issue I was experiencing with 24P playback, so I went back to Windows. Thanks for your input, particularly those that suggested trying OpenElec and Ubuntu on a USB stick before committing to partitioning a Windows drive. This allowed for an effective test drive.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Moving from Windows 7 to XBMCbuntu0