Req How long can XBMC ignore Chromecast ?
Netflix Schmetflix, you seem to forget that the vast majority of the world can't access Netflix, at least not within the netflix Ts&Cs.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-29, 00:49)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-07-25, 12:42)prawnee Wrote: How long can XBMC ignore Google Glass? Why haven't you got developers working on hover boards yet? Pull your fingers out!

Hoverboards and google glass are different technologies, but, if you loan me a delorean capable of time travel I can guarantee you it will be done like last week.

Hang on didn't I already loan you my DeloreanHuh

(2014-07-29, 00:59)nickr Wrote: Netflix Schmetflix, you seem to forget that the vast majority of the world can't access Netflix, at least not within the netflix Ts&Cs.

I didn't forget, I just don't really care what the rest of the world can or can't access.
Tongue LOL
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-07-29, 09:44)prawnee Wrote: Hang on didn't I already loan you my DeloreanHuh
No, I dont think POS rust-bucket with flat tires qualifies so its still in your yard covered in tarpaulin
(2014-07-29, 11:55)uNiversal Wrote:
(2014-07-29, 09:44)prawnee Wrote: Hang on didn't I already loan you my DeloreanHuh
No, I dont think POS rust-bucket with flat tires qualifies so its still in your yard covered in tarpaulin

Hehe. My mistake.
(2014-07-26, 07:14)nickr Wrote: I really struggle to see the use case in the majority of cases. I use xbmc because I like the features, and the key feature is the look on screen. I love having it on my TV screen. It also scrapes well, has a very flexible addon system and is open source.

I can't imagine using XBMC on a tablet just to cast it onto a TV screen that is otherwise blank. I see no point in that. I can see it being useful at some times for some people, but it's not really what XBMC is about (IMHO).

But maybe my imagination is falling down somewhere.

XMBC should be a receiver, not a caster.
So I'm sitting on the couch with my phone, I open the YouTube app and choose to cast to XBMC. Right now I can use apps like Yatse to send the link to XBMC and use the XBMC Youtube player. This works, it's not a great experience and I need Yatse.
But right now I'm lacking something to cast media on the phone or to mirror it on the tv.
Then there are other uses outside the video streaming area, like casting docs on the tv, showing second screens from apps on the phone, etc.

I'm not saying this is something easily (or legally) achievable, but it would expand XBMC "for free" when developers write apps for ChromeCast (and now Android TV, which uses ChromeCast protocol).
Well beeing a casting server is not possible in a platform agnostic way. Thanks to google which totally doesn't support this for 3rd party programmers. Live with it or make google support this properly...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
The main problem with xbmc casting to CC is that CC only supports playback of certain codecs and containers. MP4, mp3, aac and some mkv with restrictions on reference frames and bitrate are the only allowed video formats. The majority of my media cannot be cast to CC as is. They would need to be transcoded to a format that the CC supports.

There are some ios and android apps that can cast to CC, mainly because most smartphone or tablet captured videos are compatible with CC (mp4 with aac or mp3)

Plex transcodes all of that before casting to CC (Sometimes only transcodes audio and sends video as is, sometimes only changes the container without transcoding anything, depends on the case)

XBMC at the moment does not have transcoding capabilities, therefore casting to CC would not be that useful due to incompatibility
I wouldn't mind being able to "install" Kodi/XBMC on the cheap ChromeCast hardware though. Smile
I currently use Playit to sling Youtube to my Kodi/XBMC setup, but a more robust set of plugins for the top 4 browsers that could sling more types of media would definitely be welcomed (to behave more like a ChromeCast does).

Now if the Kodi devs (and all media streaming box devs) could work a deal with the major pay-for-view media houses (Prime, Netflix, Yahoo, iTunes, Hulu) on a type of HDMI inline secured decrypter, we would all be happy (or at least have an easy outlet to pay for content). That way the media houses could open up their GUI APIs to everyone and not worry, since their video streams would only be decrypted an inch from the TV and in hardware. Everybody wins, we use the interface and player we choose, and they get to keep their Draconian grip on their DRMed streams. </dream>
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
any dev even considering such an option should be booted straight off a FLOSS team.
Check out Throw.
It's good old upnp and you can "cast" to XBMC as you're supposed to, not the other way around Big Grin
It's quite satisfying to throw a YouTube video to your TV screen.
(2014-10-12, 07:23)andreig1978 Wrote: Check out Throw.
It's good old upnp and you can "cast" to XBMC as you're supposed to, not the other way around Big Grin

Googling isn't helping me find that?
(2014-10-12, 08:30)nickr Wrote:

Some Sony proprietary thing

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/01/...w-feature/
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
(2014-10-12, 09:08)lrusak Wrote:
(2014-10-12, 08:30)nickr Wrote:

Some Sony proprietary thing

http://developer.sonymobile.com/2013/01/...w-feature/

*yawn*
BubbleUPnP would do it works on any android device.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How long can XBMC ignore Chromecast ?0