Need advice on file naming / structure
(2014-08-13, 09:20)black_eagle Wrote: I'd recommend the use of a third party media manager, such as TMM or MediaElch.

This will allow you to download and choose all the art etc for each movie externally from XBMC, assign sets, change media ratings and other such cool stuff.

I used to just let XBMC do it's own scraping, and in 98% of cases it did what I wanted, but there were always a few niggles. For instance, as I live in the UK, I want BBFC ratings rather than MPAA so these need to be changed. Much easier to do with a third party manager.

Also, in my Pirates of the Caribbean collection, I have a blu-ray rip of one of the movies, but a DVD ISO of the same movie. Using a third party manager, it's easy to keep it in the right set, get the right synopsis and add (DVD) at the end of the name so I can distinguish it in XBMC's library.

Initially, using a third party manager can seem like a lot of work, especially as XBMC can do most of the work automatically, but once it's all done, adding new content becomes a breeze. You'll have more control over the text and images displayed and your library will have that 'WOW' factor when viewed.

I wouldn't now go back to letting XBMC scrape it's own data - good though it is, there was too much editing to do and as it was all done with a remote it was a chore. This way everything is how I want it before its imported to XBMC.

Just my thoughts on it.

I ended up using TMM to sort this out. It was definitely better to use this, especially for the multiple-version movies.

I have it all working, but not all my movie sets in XBMC show set art that TMM collected and appears to be there. Actually, some sets do have art, but it's just the first movie art in the group, not the art that TMM has. I posted asking about this here, but haven't heard anything yet. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202293

Once I get that fixed, I'll have a nice working library. Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need advice on file naming / structure - by PhilipW - 2014-08-17, 21:48
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need advice on file naming / structure0