• 21(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2015-03-30, 02:31)sd26 Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 00:00)Netix Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 22:22)fma965 Wrote: Here is my script I have been working on to make installing windows 8 with working HDMI extremely painless

This is what I got.. the usb drive is empty after the process :

When asked for the drive letter don't add the colon. e.g. F not F:
Yeah, I've tried both. The drive is still empty.
(2015-03-30, 03:21)Netix Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 02:31)sd26 Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 00:00)Netix Wrote: This is what I got.. the usb drive is empty after the process :

When asked for the drive letter don't add the colon. e.g. F not F:
Yeah, I've tried both. The drive is still empty.
Well currently the batch script doesn't have any logging so not sure exactly what the issue would be. Do you have a fresh install.wim in source folder and do you have 1 NTFS partition on the USB Drive
(2015-03-29, 17:08)FredFF Wrote: Wow!! Marcus you are THE MAN!
Finally HDMI audio actually works on my HP Chromebox cb1-010nf (Intel Celeron 2955U )
Just one thing , I had to remove one driver from the list to build install.wim
Intel Management Engine 9.5.0.1428

It is not compatible with my chromebox model, and first W8 run was crashing.
Without it in install.wim, everything goes OK.

Glad it worked for you too, FredFF Smile . I will remove the Management Engine driver bit from the tutorial - also, it would be best if you didn't enable automatic windows updates because if your system updates to 8.1 , booting from a USB pen drive might not work. I know this is not ideal for computers with public IP addresses but the alternative ( = no boot) is even worse Smile

Btw. my Chromebox boots with the Management Engine driver - strange..
(2015-03-30, 09:52)marcus0 Wrote:
(2015-03-29, 17:08)FredFF Wrote: Wow!! Marcus you are THE MAN!
Finally HDMI audio actually works on my HP Chromebox cb1-010nf (Intel Celeron 2955U )
Just one thing , I had to remove one driver from the list to build install.wim
Intel Management Engine 9.5.0.1428

It is not compatible with my chromebox model, and first W8 run was crashing.
Without it in install.wim, everything goes OK.

Glad it worked for you too, FredFF Smile . I will remove the Management Engine driver bit from the tutorial - also, it would be best if you didn't enable automatic windows updates because if your system updates to 8.1 , booting from a USB pen drive might not work. I know this is not ideal for computers with public IP addresses but the alternative ( = no boot) is even worse Smile

The ASUS chromebox does need it and the HP one doesn't... Atleast that's what i concluded from available information.
(2015-03-30, 09:52)marcus0 Wrote: Glad it worked for you too, FredFF Smile . I will remove the Management Engine driver bit from the tutorial - also, it would be best if you didn't enable automatic windows updates because if your system updates to 8.1 , booting from a USB pen drive might not work. I know this is not ideal for computers with public IP addresses but the alternative ( = no boot) is even worse Smile

@marcus
Hello Marcus,
Concerning WindowsUpdate no worries, because 8.1 upgrade cannot be launched trough windowsupdate. Upgrade from 8 to 8.1 is only possible trough windows store (in home edition).
a dumb choice from Microsoft, that finally will help ourselves keeping an updated chromebox in windows8;-)

@Netix
Concerning Netix problem with the script from fma965, did you execute it as admin?
With regular user, important operations will fail.
(2015-03-30, 10:11)FredFF Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 09:52)marcus0 Wrote: Glad it worked for you too, FredFF Smile . I will remove the Management Engine driver bit from the tutorial - also, it would be best if you didn't enable automatic windows updates because if your system updates to 8.1 , booting from a USB pen drive might not work. I know this is not ideal for computers with public IP addresses but the alternative ( = no boot) is even worse Smile

@Netix
Concerning Netix problem with the script from fma965, did you execute it as admin?
With regular user, important operations will fail.

It forces Admin (stops and tells' you to re-run as admin), it won't work without admin, also please note v0.1.1 released which fixes a few typo's
(2015-03-30, 10:11)FredFF Wrote: @marcus
Hello Marcus,
Concerning WindowsUpdate no worries, because 8.1 upgrade cannot be launched trough windowsupdate. Upgrade from 8 to 8.1 is only possible trough windows store (in home edition).
a dumb choice from Microsoft, that finally will help ourselves keeping an updated chromebox in windows8;-)

Hi FredFF - I'm afraid this is no longer the case :

Thanks to our reader "Martin" who contacted us and shared the fact that Microsoft has released a new update for Windows 8 operating system which allows automatic upgrade to Windows 8.1. Once this update is installed, the Windows 8 computer is automatically updated to Windows 8.1 OS.

This new update is KB3008273 which is marked as important update and if your Windows 8 computer is set to automatically install Windows updates (which is the default behavior), this new update is installed and then starts the automatic upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 operating system. Microsoft has clearly mentioned on the update information page that this update enables Window 8 to update to Windows 8.1 and enables Windows RT to update to Windows RT 8.1.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-stop-automat...ndows-8-1/

I've seen this happen with my mother's notebook - about a month ago, when she shut down her HP notebook, her installation of Windows 8 was automatically updated to 8.1 Sad .
(2015-03-30, 11:36)marcus0 Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 10:11)FredFF Wrote: @marcus
Hello Marcus,

Hi FredFF - I'm afraid this is no longer the case :

Thanks to our reader "Martin" who contacted us and shared the fact that Microsoft has released a new update for Windows 8 operating system which allows automatic upgrade to Windows 8.1. Once this update is installed, the Windows 8 computer is automatically updated to Windows 8.1 OS.

This new update is KB3008273 which is marked as important update and if your Windows 8 computer is set to automatically install Windows updates (which is the default behavior), this new update is installed and then starts the automatic upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 operating system. Microsoft has clearly mentioned on the update information page that this update enables Window 8 to update to Windows 8.1 and enables Windows RT to update to Windows RT 8.1.

I've seen this happen with my mother's notebook - about a month ago, when she shut down her HP notebook, her installation of Windows 8 was automatically updated to 8.1 Sad .

I wonder if i can disable that update as part of my script.

This seems possible = http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163162-h...s-updates/

Code:
Dim hideupdates(2)

hideupdates(0) = "KB2871389"
hideupdates(1) = "KB3008273"

set updateSession = createObject("Microsoft.Update.Session")
set updateSearcher = updateSession.CreateupdateSearcher()

Set searchResult = updateSearcher.Search("IsInstalled=0 and Type='Software'")

For i = 0 To searchResult.Updates.Count-1
    set update = searchResult.Updates.Item(i)
    For j = LBound(hideupdates) To UBound(hideupdates)
        'MsgBox hideupdates(j)
        if instr(1, update.Title, hideupdates(j), vbTextCompare) = 0 then
              'Wscript.echo "No match found for " & hideupdates(j)
        else
            Wscript.echo "Hiding " & hideupdates(j)
            update.IsHidden = True
        end if
    Next
Next

and a registry key in one of the following places, added during wim mounted
Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
(2015-03-30, 11:36)marcus0 Wrote: Hi FredFF - I'm afraid this is no longer the case :

OK Marcus, thanks for the information I will be cautious.
I have installed W8 on an SSD connected trough a USB/SATA bridge, are you sure a W8.1 update would break the system?
I could clone my disk with clonezilla, and try the update, is it worth trying?
(2015-03-30, 12:05)FredFF Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 11:36)marcus0 Wrote: Hi FredFF - I'm afraid this is no longer the case :

OK Marcus, thanks for the information I will be cautious.
I have installed W8 on an SSD connected trough a USB/SATA bridge, are you sure a W8.1 update would break the system?

8.1 might not break the system but i almost guarantee it will break HDMI audio
(2015-03-30, 12:05)FredFF Wrote: OK Marcus, thanks for the information I will be cautious.

I couldn't boot Windows 8.1 with my pen drive no matter which method I tried. Also, as fma965 says HDMI audio will most likely not be working ( at all / correctly ). If you have the time you could try the clonezilla / update approach, but I'm not very optimistic..
(2015-03-30, 12:19)marcus0 Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 12:05)FredFF Wrote: OK Marcus, thanks for the information I will be cautious.

I couldn't boot Windows 8.1 with my pen drive no matter which method I tried. Also, as fma965 says HDMI audio will most likely not be working ( at all / correctly ). If you have the time you could try the clonezilla / update approach, but I'm not very optimistic..

I can get windows 8.1 booted perfectly fine without HDMI audio using AOMEI windows to go and WinToUSB
(2015-03-30, 14:50)fma965 Wrote: I can get windows 8.1 booted perfectly fine without HDMI audio using AOMEI windows to go and WinToUSB

If I remember correctly I already mentioned this in a previous post, but if not that was one of the very first booting methods I tried. However, Windows crashed during the initial 'getting your devices ready - XX % complete' stage. I suspect this was because I was using a USB pen drive - using a USB hard drive might ( seems to ) produce different results.
OK guys, I'll stick to win 8, and that will be good. Now I have to wait for the usb3 / Sata adapter I have ordered yesterday, in order to fully enjoy my new home entertainment machine (usb2 is a bit laggy);-)
(2015-03-30, 15:03)marcus0 Wrote:
(2015-03-30, 14:50)fma965 Wrote: I can get windows 8.1 booted perfectly fine without HDMI audio using AOMEI windows to go and WinToUSB

If I remember correctly I already mentioned this in a previous post, but if not that was one of the very first booting methods I tried. However, Windows crashed during the initial 'getting your devices ready - XX % complete' stage. I suspect this was because I was using a USB pen drive - using a USB hard drive might ( seems to ) produce different results.

i was using a USB Flash Drive and a SSD and both worked so not sure what your issue was but i dont think it was that.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4