• 50(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2016-12-13, 21:52)Veronica Wrote: Gee i just read this, thank you very much Matt. I will update right now.
Question, i want to upgrade from this box but i wanted to ask you if the i3 version of the asus chromebox can software decode 1080p HEVC 8bit without a hassle? or if you know of a similar box, budget friendly that can do it and also perform faster (CPU) then please let me know. If it's quad core then even better.

T.I.A

the i3 will definitely handle it better than the Celeron due to higher clock speed and hyperthreading, but even a slower CPU with hardware HEVC decoding (like the Celeron N3xxx) will handle it better, though you'd need something that's either ApolloLake or KabyLake based for 10-bit HEVC
Hello guys,
I just saw that there is a full rom available for the Chromeboxes...
I am running a standalone Ubuntu install on my Asus Chromebox (Celeron) upgraded to 4gb/64SSD)
I would like to install windows on it. Is it better to flash the full rom firmware? Is it ready with the audio over hdmi bug fixed?
Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!
(2016-12-16, 05:29)gixie Wrote: I would like to install windows on it. Is it better to flash the full rom firmware? Is it ready with the audio over hdmi bug fixed?
1. Yes, UEFI firmware.
2. Yes, in UEFI firmware.
Hi

I have an HP CB1-020NO Chromebox now running Win10 Pro.
Info from win: Intel Celeron 2955U 1,4GHz with 120GB SSD.

I think it is about 8-9 month sins I updated the firmware with the E-Z script.
For this model I can`t update the drivers for the monitor, if I do it looses the sound (HDMI)

Will the new UEFI fix this on this machine to? Or is this wrong model?
And the fan control maybe will be better? :-)

And if so, how do I do it now. Is there a new way for the UEFI mode?
Will Windows activate as it should after the update?
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
You can flash the uefi firmware. But then you have to reinstall Windows 10. Install without a key and it should auto activate if you have a digital license tied to the motherboard. There are probably ways to migrate from bios to efi boot without reinstalling, try google. HDMI sound and fan should work without any fuzz afterwards.
Didn't know one had reinstall Windows after flashing UEFI.
In my case i run Windows 10 off an external hdd, can i use it normally after flashing or do i have to redo my Windows setup with rufus?

Enviado desde mi Moto X vía Tapatalk!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-12-16, 18:24)Veronica Wrote: Didn't know one had reinstall Windows after flashing UEFI.
In my case i run Windows 10 off an external hdd, can i use it normally after flashing or do i have to redo my Windows setup with rufus?

assuming it's a WinToGo setup, that's not compatible with UEFI booting. If you want to run Windows from external media, you pretty much have to install it thru a VM (like VirtualBox) in order to trick Windows into thinking it's fixed (vs removable) storage. This is the case with any UEFI firmware, not just the Chromebox
(2016-12-16, 18:57)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-16, 18:24)Veronica Wrote: Didn't know one had reinstall Windows after flashing UEFI.

assuming it's a WinToGo setup, that's not compatible with UEFI booting. If you want to run Windows from external media, you pretty much have to install it thru a VM (like VirtualBox) in order to trick Windows into thinking it's fixed (vs removable) storage. This is the case with any UEFI firmware, not just the Chromebox
Ok, so i better dont touch my setup for now Sad

Enviado desde mi Moto X vía Tapatalk!
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2016-12-16, 19:58)Veronica Wrote: Ok, so i better dont touch my setup for now Sad

blame MS for making it very difficult to boot Windows from external media; Linux has done it without issue for decades now.
(2016-12-16, 17:51)Matt Devo Wrote: https://mrchromebox.tech/#fwscript

flash the firmware, boot your Windows installer USB (it will auto-boot), delete all existing partitions, reinstall Windows into unpartitioned space

Thanks again :-)

I will try this soon :-)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
(2016-12-16, 20:02)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-16, 19:58)Veronica Wrote: Ok, so i better dont touch my setup for now Sad

blame MS for making it very difficult to boot Windows from external media; Linux has done it without issue for decades now.

I have to upgrade ssd anyway, is the Transcend brand ssd really the only "best" option to upgrade?
(2016-12-16, 22:16)Veronica Wrote: I have to upgrade ssd anyway, is the Transcend brand ssd really the only "best" option to upgrade?

I've used Transcend, MyDigitalSSD, ZTC. No issues with any of them.
(2016-12-16, 22:18)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-16, 22:16)Veronica Wrote: I have to upgrade ssd anyway, is the Transcend brand ssd really the only "best" option to upgrade?

I've used Transcend, MyDigitalSSD, ZTC. No issues with any of them.

Okay. BTW your website https://mrchromebox.tech/ doen't work well on Chrome and Edge browser, IE is fine and displays the content
(2016-12-16, 22:20)Veronica Wrote: Okay. BTW your website https://mrchromebox.tech/ doen't work well on Chrome and Edge browser, IE is fine and displays the content

I have it open under both Chrome and Edge right now, no seeing any issues at all. Can you describe the issue or take a pic?
(2016-12-16, 22:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-12-16, 22:20)Veronica Wrote: Okay. BTW your website https://mrchromebox.tech/ doen't work well on Chrome and Edge browser, IE is fine and displays the content

I have it open under both Chrome and Edge right now, no seeing any issues at all. Can you describe the issue or take a pic?

No content in any of the menus, just blank. Same thing happens in my Android smartphone using chrome dev but using Opera Mini for example works fine.
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4