• 3(current)
Cloud Media 4K XBMC Player
I wouldn't touch any of these pre-built installed boxes with yours if you know what I mean? ;-)

Mainly because once they fork to there own version it generally isn't open source any more so you can forget modding it, and then from what I've read it seems this will go that way.

no matter which skin you use you will always probably want to mod something and then if you use a non-repo skin you probably can't even install it.

Add to that the fact they are sitting there with their pants on fire!!

I just don't understand the point to these boxes? do they actually have any benefits? this isn't the only way to access this architecture is it?
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
Checkout this other thread for general discussion about alternative media players that are also based on the same RK3288 SoC from Rockchip:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=202924

(2014-09-02, 15:57)OpenHour Wrote: Currently H.265 hardware support is fork from XBMC. Eventually the RK3288 native playback might merge into Kodi main branch but for faster support, we might release a fork version for users when it is ready.
So other that CloudMedia (or Rockchip) maintaining your own XBMC/Kidi fork is this OpenHour hardware just another RK3288 media player or?

@CloudMedia, I think most the community is also a little upset because you claimed to have forked XBMC but shown no read indication of sharing code.

The point with open source is not that you get free code, no the point is to share the code and to collaborate in making better software for all together.

Please show good intention by at least try to make an effort to submit all and any code to upstream for possible merger into mainline.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...it_a_patch

(2014-09-02, 21:20)leepenny Wrote: I say send the devs a box each upon release for free - they can put it through its paces and we can get a viewpoint before the masses buy it Smile
You mean BEFORE release?! Wink
(2014-09-03, 12:10)Mike_Doc Wrote: Add to that the fact they are sitting there with their pants on fire!!
For the moment I'm incline to give them the benefit of the doubt, that there has been some misunderstanding and that they have been acting in good faith.

Perhaps they can clarify, but from what I've read the strategy seems to be fork to get what they need up & working quickly and then contribute back to mainline XBMC/Kodi with the eventually intention their fork is the same or at least close to stock XBMC, similar to the way Pivos work with us.
(2014-09-03, 12:10)Mike_Doc Wrote: I just don't understand the point to these boxes? do they actually have any benefits? this isn't the only way to access this architecture is it?
Sorry but your post does makes no sense to me, so please excuse me but I feel that I have to depend the manufactures of these types of media players, even though I'm not affiliated with any of them myself.

You have to understand that, even if it is for a niche-market, most of these types of commercial style media player boxes is made by companies really only to be targeted at your average Joe for plug-and-play use, and that is only in order to sell as many they can make money of the product.

Thus the benefit here is that your average Joe, including your non-technical friends and family-members, can buy these types over-the-top media players cheap with XBMC/Kodi pre-loaded, and possibly even over-the-air updates, and get to enjoy it without the hassle of having to buy a HTPC in parts to then install and maintain software upgrades themselves.

That is, to me this is still not a development-board or open-hardware platform targeting developers, hobby-hackers, or modding-enthusiasts. You should not compare this with something like the Raspberry Pi, so if a development board is what you want then this and similar product is clearly not for you, please move along.

In short, if you are a modder the you should get a HTPC, a development-board, or at least a more open hardware platform instead.
i'm little bit disappointed about picture quality

Finally an open box from cloud media and it's worst in quality vs an old a300

With the same price i can buy a nuc that it's more versatile
Thanks Hedda, but an all-in-one box even for an average Joe still doesn't seem to make sense. This has no storage so your average job will need that and then unless they build in tutorials then adding media into xbmc isn't a one click solution so again for an average Joe is that too much?

I guess there fork can probably have add-ons to deal with some of these issues but not sure? and yes there is probably a market but even without modding you still have to have some tech about you to get XBMC to all bells and whistles mode.
SKIN: Aeon Madnox
RIP Schimi2k, we miss you.
When I grow up I want to be a skilled skinner
Thank me by ⬇ adding to my + reputation
I havent any experience using Android for media devices. Got two openelec r-pi's and some popcorn hours.

So can you run android + xbmc on this thing. Is there an Android app store with Netflix?
Interesting, with openelec support this box might actually be worth the money Smile
Already off to a good start. Wink

It honestly looks like a nice little box.

Chances are someone at Rockchips or whatever really is working with an XBMC developer. We've had at least four different Android developers who've worked with companies before, signed NDAs, and didn't have to say anything to Team XBMC/Kodi because it was their own business/time. It's more likely there was just some confusion between working with "Team XBMC" and "a Team XBMC developer".

At the very least, this is a company that isn't going to disappear over night, so chances are that their support will be better than the average box. They also seem to honestly want to work with Team XBMC/Kodi. That's a good thing. This should be encouraged :)
The point about open source is that if they distribute XBMC/Kodi they also have to distribute their source code. Even for a locked down box.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I say send the devs a box each upon release for free - they can put it through its paces and we can get a viewpoint before the masses buy it
You mean BEFORE release?!

Yes Hedda - give it to them now Wink
Check out my Fanart.tv stuff!
...........I also accept disc requests if image not on fanart.tv database !!!!
We emailed them yesterday but haven't receive a reply. If any mod is looking, please assist... thanks!
(2014-09-04, 09:48)Jayce Wrote: Just read all the replies, I'm just wondering if this box supports 1080p hardware acceleration and blu-ray java menu.
And are you sure your box really support 23.976Hz? In what OS? Does this box support 23.976Hz in Android OS?
@jayce, judging by all your previous post, which always directly or indirectly refer to or recommend media players by VidOn and their XBMC forks unique features like Blu-ray Java menu support, I strongly suspect you must either work for VidOn or are a business-affiliated to them, which if is the case then your posts here are just spam!
Hi All,

Just an update.

We finally got in touch with the correct XBMC people and made some initial discussion.

Thanks for all the advice given and pointing us to the correct channel.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cloud Media 4K XBMC Player7