How To auto stretch 16:9
All of my movies are standard 1080P but some of my tv shows (American Dad / Family Guy) are 4:3 and I was wondering if there is ANY way to automatically set the video options to stretch 16:9? If I set the stretch option and finish an episode, it will save the stretch option the next time I watch it. Is there ANY way I can set it so a directory always stretches 16:9 or just shows? If I set stretch 16:9 on a 1080P video, will it alter the video's outlook? If not, then I wouldn't mind setting 16:9 universally for ALL media.
I wouldn´t recommend that, because the nativ show is in 4:3. If you stretch it, the movie (or the tv-show) might look more worse...faces will look wide and the whole view is not as excepted. Or you stretch it that wide, that the top and bottom are cut and you lost big spaces of the visible screen. a 4:3 file is a 4:3 file. Stretch it to anything else, will not get a better picture.

If you set auto stretch to 16:9 and you got an 21:9 movie you will lose the informations at the left and the right side of the screen.

So I would recommend to take the nativ aspect ratio which is provided by the movie.
In Settings, Video, Playback there is the option, "Display 4:3 videos as ..." with a drop down where you can select another aspect ratio. Wide Zoom is probably the most appropriate.

In saying that, I've found it doesn't always work, probably because it depends on some flag in the video to tell it that it's 4:3 which may not always be there.
It also depends on whether these are genuine 4:3 (e.g. early episodes) or badly-encoded 16:9 (in which case you'd be better off fixing the files). For the latter - e.g. when I lose the aspect ration after editing in avidemux - I just run things through mkvmergegui. Other tools are available to directly change the aspect ration flags from the command line.
I ripped the dvds myself and the quality when stretched doesn't degrade. If you put the dvds in a bluray player it will auto stretch to 16:9 (at least mine does) and that's what made me wonder if there was a way to automatically set it that way versus going into video options on every file and choosing stretch. It's not until season 9 of family guy do they become 16:9, which it looks just fine without stretching. Thanks bobones for the info!
Bobones you are the man! That worked out! I know I've looked at that option a million times while playing with nightlies and alphas....thank you again!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How To auto stretch 16:90