• 5(current)
Dolby atmos
I dont understand.
If helix has passthrough why doesnt atmos outcome then?
Since xbmc doesnt decode it?
Even when XBMC/Kodi does not decode it still must be able to identify the type of audio in the stream via a parser in order to know what to do with it, even if that's just passing it untouched to the HDMI out.

From my limited understanding when the Dolby HD audio methods were defined it consisted of:

Main payload + Extension payload

Until now the extension part of Dolby HD streams hasn't been used, so TrueHD only ever used the main payload thus any reversed engineered solutions only took account of this, however Dolby have now started using the extension payload to provide the additional data for ATMOS.

What the fixes does I believe is identify the TrueHD contained in the main payload and discard the extension payload. The extension payload containing the ATMOS data must be discarded as there is no parser available yet to identify the contents.
(2014-10-14, 11:58)jjd-uk Wrote: What the fixes does I believe is identify the TrueHD contained in the main payload and discard the extension payload. The extension payload containing the ATMOS data must be discarded as there is no parser available yet to identify the contents.

Exactly. Right in all points.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Is that a long-winded way of saying Kodi won't currently pass a bitstream containing the Atmos metadata? Any idea when it might?
No - no idea. When someone volunteers to implement it, which is nothing Everyday's Joe is able to do ...

I for my part have no interest, cause I don't have any hardware that could play it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for the candid feedback. I might have some interest in approx 6 months. With the demise of TMT, I'm hoping PowerDVD will step up to the plate.
"Where should they step up to?" releasing another proprietary blob no one besides the people that buy PowerDVD would use?
The best hope is that one of the ffmpeg contributors shows an interest, but it might require an insider to be involved as the documents that layout how these things works are usually very expensive to get officially, so most open source projects rely on leaks to get their hands on them.
(2014-10-14, 16:40)fritsch Wrote: "Where should they step up to?" releasing another proprietary blob no one besides the people that buy PowerDVD would use?

I meant PDVD as an external player. And, why wouldn't they support the latest codecs? IMHO, highly likely that we are on the way to object-based sound rendering which will gain momentum when DTS gets on board.
i read on the blog that the latest nightly support the TrueHD audio track of a Atmos track,
so i thought let me give it a fast try.(did a install over a older kodi release or should i do a clean install ?)
but still no audio.(when using the TrueHD audio track)
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
logfile or it never happened.

Works fine here.
I'll try a clean install first,
Then give it a new try.
When testing with openelec it worked,
But because of the amd issue it's not watchable.
as suspected,
i removed the old install.
did a fresh install and a reboot (windows Wink )
and it worked.
thnx guys for the great work
Is there anything in the metadata that flags an audio track as being Atmos over regular TrueHD? Having gotten a few lossless sample trailers I'm not seeing anything specific in the MKVs but I might not know what I'm looking for. Just hoping there's going to be a way to differentiate and flag with icons so I'll be able to set up custom menus and have it integrated into Cinema Exerience.
(2014-10-14, 16:09)fritsch Wrote: No - no idea. When someone volunteers to implement it, which is nothing Everyday's Joe is able to do ...

I for my part have no interest, cause I don't have any hardware that could play it.

Lamentable response.
If you do not have equipment capable of reproducing Dolby Atmos does not mean that other people do not have them.

It is also unfortunate that you are unable to make your system be able to play a system that, like it or not to you, is now available and which will be more and more titles for home use.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby atmos3