Newbie: Do I have to buy other soft/hardware to use KODI in place of cable?
Hi,
I found this through our local fb site where someone is selling Android TV boxes (which didn't make sense to me when I can hook up my laptop to the tv with an HDMI cable). I would love to ditch cable and just use streaming. Currently, we just hook up a laptop to the tv to watch, how can KODI make that process better? (I did see where you can hook up an older laptop to the tv to create a theatre system---I do have a laptop with a broken screen that is 4 years old)

I would appreciate any advice or help. Smile

Thanks!
Kim
Using an old laptop is a great way to start. If it has Windows 7 on it you should have no problems. Not sure XP works for Kodi.
Hmmm..I will have to check..it might be XP
After digging a bit in the wiki it seems XP is still supported. Best way it to give it a shot.
XP is no longer supported with the most up to date code. Why don't you give OPENELEC a try? It's great for older hardware.
Like Helta says, XP is not supported for Code newer than Frodo, Gotham which is current already dropped XP iirc. the list of requirements specifically states minimum is windows vista.

See XBMC_for_Windows_specific_FAQ (wiki)

As for the android boxes, TERRIBLE idea -- no it doesnt replace cable, see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=149712 and you would also not get any support from OFFICIAL XBMC/Kodi anything.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie: Do I have to buy other soft/hardware to use KODI in place of cable?0