• 26(current)
Google Nexus Player
Everyone with a working system..

What is your working configuration? I too had to re-enable mediacodec or Kodi would crash immediately when starting a movie. Kodi never crashes now when that is enabled but I cannot play a movie without the movie stuttering then pausing then stopping multiple times during the movie and returning to the movie selection screen.

My system:

Kodi latest patch 14.1 (currently using ARM but same issue with x86)
Using a NAS (Seagate attached to RT-AC68U. I originally had it connected to windows 7 box with shared drive)
All of my movies are encoded with Handbrake MP4 normal profile with web optimization
I am currently using advanced settings to sync my multiple Kodi boxes to a MySQL server - the movie stop occurs when I also use local database.

I have tried a local movie (Copied movie to thumb drive and played locally = movie stop)
I have tried wired ethernet = movie stop

I have also tried mkv format and Handbrake universal settings = movie stop
My System:
On network via 5Ghz WiFi
Kodi 14.1 RC1 - kodi-20141231-c5636ae-HelixDroidX86-x86.apk
Media stored - Synology DS413 CAT6 - EoP to Billion 7800VDPX router.
95% of video data is H.264 MKV, 4% MP4, 1% AVI.

No stuttering during playback of any type. Occasional hang up on playing a file in the first place, sometimes requiring Kodi to be shut down and restarted.

No syncing via MySQL yet.
My system:

Fast Ethernet
Kodi 14 ARM version (don't have time to try the x86 version at the moment)
Media stored - Synology DS214se
95% of video is H.264 MKV, rest is AVI.

No syncyng via MySQL and no stuttering during playback.
My system:

5ghz wifi
Kodi 14 ARM
Media on a NAS4Free box
Pretty much everything is H.264

I get really random issues that are unexplainable like random pausing of videos, sometimes buffering, sometimes a full crash. Sometimes I can watch an entire 20GB 1080p movie without a single issue in 2 hours. It doesn't make sense, but it *is* very frustrating because it makes it very unusable for other members of my family. I have tried hard-wiring the NP too but that made no difference.

Case in point: I watched Star Wars: The Phantom Menace last night without a single problem. It's a high bitrate 1080p blu ray rip. This morning, I get a message from my wife at work because Downton Abbey episodes are buffering every few seconds. These are medium-bitrate 720p files. Restarting Kodi fixed it though.
Currently running:

Wifi AC 5ghz
kodi-20141224-5b3cc1e-pocc++11-x86.apk
USB enabled to OTG USB hub, with wireless mouse/keyboard, USB memory stick and external powered hard disk
Older 720P screen

Mostly stream everything over wifi and works great. This rev of Kodi is solid for what I use it for, I will try the latest special build and report back when I can.
(2015-01-06, 21:53)Wilberry Wrote: Currently running:

Wifi AC 5ghz
USB enabled to OTG USB hub, with wireless mouse/keyboard, USB memory stick and external powered hard disk
Older 720P screen

Mostly stream everything over wifi and works great. This rev of Kodi is solid for what I use it for, I will try the latest special build and report back when I can.
What exactly are you using your wireless mouse for I have mine hooked up but I can't click on anything in the standard Android TV launcher are you using nova launcher or some other type of launcher?
(2015-01-07, 14:47)trvbone Wrote:
(2015-01-06, 21:53)Wilberry Wrote: Currently running:

Wifi AC 5ghz
Older 720P screen

What exactly are you using your wireless mouse for I have mine hooked up but I can't click on anything in the standard Android TV launcher are you using nova launcher or some other type of launcher?

The home panel of the Android TV launcher only works with the remote, scroll down to settings and click it with the remote, once you get to the next screen the mouse works. I use it for Kodi (although the remote will work I prefer the mouse to navigate as it is way quicker), I also use it for other sideloaded apps like Advanced task manager, ES File Explorer, LiveNow!TV, Showbox, and pretty much all my other sideloaded apps.
Is there anyway to get the es file explorer to fit the screen correctly?
(2015-01-07, 18:02)trvbone Wrote: Is there anyway to get the es file explorer to fit the screen correctly?

I used the settings on my TV, can`t remember the exact setting, but something like `just scan`with my Samsung TV and that worked
(2015-01-07, 18:02)trvbone Wrote: Is there anyway to get the es file explorer to fit the screen correctly?

you can also try this from adb
Code:
su
wm overscan left,top,right,bottom

ie
Code:
su
wm overscan 10,10,10,10

works for some apps on my old 1080i sony crt which has no overscan settings, haven't tried es file explorer though
Thanks guys

I still need to root and unlock before all that though lol
The two port USB hub (not powered) I ordered turned up, Ethernet now running as well as IR receiver. Playback is far worse via ethernet. I have restarted everything a couple of times for a fresh start, and it keeps buffering on all but the smallest files. Switched back to WiFi (N 5Ghz) and it streams fine. Very bizarre.
(2015-01-08, 11:55)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: The two port USB hub (not powered) I ordered turned up, Ethernet now running as well as IR receiver. Playback is far worse via ethernet. I have restarted everything a couple of times for a fresh start, and it keeps buffering on all but the smallest files. Switched back to WiFi (N 5Ghz) and it streams fine. Very bizarre.

I know I tried a couple of different ethernet usb dongles, you need to ensure the adapter supports the android os. Also typically you want a powered usb hub otherwise the power is being drained from the player.

I think it may be a driver issue, as I tried my usb ethernet adapter (which worked okay on a previous android box via powered usb hub) and got similiar results as you, and went back to wifi ac.
USB Ethernet via Powerline adapter
Latest x86 14.1 (01.06.15) build from the test thread
MySQL database
Files on NAS shared via NFS

No buffering or stuttering. I was getting buffering/stuttering/quits to show episode list/Android home screen via wifi, which I suspect was my router.
(2015-01-08, 11:55)Hiphopopotamus Wrote: The two port USB hub (not powered) I ordered turned up, Ethernet now running as well as IR receiver. Playback is far worse via ethernet. I have restarted everything a couple of times for a fresh start, and it keeps buffering on all but the smallest files. Switched back to WiFi (N 5Ghz) and it streams fine. Very bizarre.

I had a similar issue with ethernet. Did a speedtest and noticed i was only getting speeds around 5mbps -> 7mbps. This caused issues with files larger then 5gb. I did buy another usb to ethernet plug and getting speeds around 80mbps (which is the max of my internet connection, so on lan probably a bit faster). I suggest you try a speedtest Smile
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7